Keeping pix/videos organized - opinions

Old March 9th, 2008, 07:32 PM posted to rec.arts.disney.parks,rec.travel.usa-canada
Jochen Kriegerowski[_2_]

Default Keeping pix/videos organized - opinions

"Julie (ImKiwi10)" schrieb

Sorry for the double post, but another thing that I would highly
recommend is a web backup of all your photos. I use Flickr, and it
only costs $25 a year for unlimited storage (I currently have about
7,500 photos in mine).

I've got JungleDisk (www.jungledisk.com) installed on my PCs.
I don't use it for my pictures, because I'm not so afraid of a fire in
my apartment g
Very handy, though, because the webspace simply acts like just
another harddrive, "Drive J:" in my Windows explorer.

Jochen from Germany
Old March 9th, 2008, 09:51 PM posted to rec.arts.disney.parks,rec.travel.usa-canada
- Bobb -[_2_]

"Julie (ImKiwi10)" wrote in message
Sorry for the double post, but another thing that I would highly
recommend is a web backup of all your photos. I use Flickr, and it
only costs $25 a year for unlimited storage (I currently have about
7,500 photos in mine). It archives your photos full size, so if you
ever have a hard drive crash, a fire or whatever, you still have
access to your original quality photos. I like this idea better than
CD backups because in the event of a fire, your CD backups might get
burned with the hard drive. It's a morbid thought, but something to
think about!

-Julie
TDC Rapunzel, Food Rocks Head Chef and Keeper of the Monstro Table

On a side note ...
For those that DO use Flickr or a few other sites like Google to browse
images, you might try this program I saw a few days ago : PicLens
free download from
http://piclens.com/site/ie/
It makes pictures on those sites appear like a Iphone, so you do not need
to browse.view one at a time. Very cool.

Old March 9th, 2008, 09:52 PM posted to rec.arts.disney.parks,rec.travel.usa-canada
- Bobb -[_2_]

Good tips - keep 'em coming - thanks

"Rob Steere" wrote in message
"- Bobb -" wrote in message
. ..
For those that travel a lot and take pix/videos on vacation and store
them on your PC ... have you found one way that works better than
another ?
Make travel folders by ... Location ? Time ? ( FLA - 2007 then month
?)

I find that WHILE on vacation, I'm dumping from camera into one folder
per day
Day 1 - Miami Tour , Day 2 - Fishing
Day 3 - Beach etc , and just dump all pix/videos into that folder
and then erase the stick.
I rename/edit them later ( on a rainy day of the trip or when I get
home). When I get home I copy all of it to my desktop PC ( lots of disk
space).

I use the XP Camera Wizard uploader on my computer. It puts all photos
in a single folder by date. I keep photos grouped together by event or
trip. Most folders get added onto the folder name with a comment about
what the event/trip was. ("Halloween Party 2007" or "Disney Trip") If
there are a LOT of pics (such as from a Disney Trip) I might further
separate the photos out by day, and add info as to what went on that
day. ("2007-06-01 - Animal Kingdom, Epcot, PI")

For my photo management, I use Picasa from Google.
http://picasa.google.com
It's free to download and use. You can also sign up for online albums
through PicasaWeb. The software and the online albums are easily
integrated for simple creation and uploading of albums.

One thing I like about Picasa is that all of the edits you make to your
photos aren't permanent changes. The edited photo is what you see within
Picasa. And then if you want to save the changes permanently, it creates
a backup of the original file in a subfolder.

Unfortunately for Mac users, Picasa is not currently available for the
Mac.

-Rob

Old March 9th, 2008, 10:01 PM posted to rec.arts.disney.parks,rec.travel.usa-canada
Judy

On Mar 9, 3:00*pm, "Julie (ImKiwi10)" wrote:
I guess maybe I take an overly simple route in organizing mine, but
this is it. I have a folder on my desktop named "Photos." Inside
"Photos" I have one folder for each trip where I've taken photos,
named stuff like "RADP 12 Dec 2007", "LA/DLR April 2007", "Knoxville
Zoo Feb 2008" and so on. So each trip has it's own folder, which also
contains the month and year (since I have, say, 7 sets of WDW trip
photos, but they were all taken at different times). I also have a
"Random photos" folder where I put photos where I have taken just a
few photos at a time. "Random photos" is the only one that has folders
inside it, and they would be other smaller groups, like "Family", "My
car", "My collections" and so on. As for video, I don't have much of
it, so they all go into the "My Videos" folder, and have names similar
to the photos.

Ths is exactly the way that I do it also.

Judy
Old March 9th, 2008, 11:16 PM posted to rec.arts.disney.parks,rec.travel.usa-canada
- Bobb -[_2_]

Filing that way is fine , but you should NOT make the folder ON the
desktop.
Put it elsewhere with a shortcut on your desktop.
In Windows, the Desktop is a "special folder" associated with a profile.
You do not want to make that area too large.
I'm sure you could search Microsoft.com for specifics, but I'll just
leave it as " To improve your computer's performance (and to find files
more easily), it's best to store files in the My Documents folder rather
than on the desktop ".

Old March 10th, 2008, 03:46 PM posted to rec.arts.disney.parks,rec.travel.usa-canada
EllenGee61

Pretty much the way we do it, although we organize the folders by year, so
all the trip photo folders are within each year folder.
Ellen

Old March 10th, 2008, 05:50 PM posted to rec.arts.disney.parks,rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

A friend of mine lost years of pictures [by fire]
..
The loss of one's photos in a fire is a relatively minor
consequence for most people

It may be minor compared to the other consequences of fire (such as
losing your home), but still it can be painful. My friend lost years
of photos of her children growing up.
Old March 11th, 2008, 01:13 AM
miki2008 miki2008 is offline
Member

I usually just load all of my previous pictures onto my computer in folders/categories by trips. That way I can reference all of my photos from a certain trip. I find this to be the easiest way to do it. The more simple things are the better.
Old March 11th, 2008, 06:06 PM posted to rec.arts.disney.parks,rec.travel.usa-canada
Mimi

"ASMx4" wrote in message
On Sun, 9 Mar 2008 12:04:42 -0700 (PDT), "Julie (ImKiwi10)"
wrote:

Sorry for the double post, but another thing that I would highly
recommend is a web backup of all your photos. I use Flickr, and it
only costs $25 a year for unlimited storage (I currently have about
7,500 photos in mine). It archives your photos full size, so if you
ever have a hard drive crash, a fire or whatever, you still have
access to your original quality photos. I like this idea better than
CD backups because in the event of a fire, your CD backups might get
burned with the hard drive. It's a morbid thought, but something to
think about!

-Julie
TDC Rapunzel, Food Rocks Head Chef and Keeper of the Monstro Table

Flickr IS cool but, I'm just too leary about giving stuff to
Google...They're getting TOO big, imho and, frankly, I don't WANT
everyone to see/download all my pics. (yeah, I know you can make the
collections private but, are they REALLY private? If it's not on MY
server, I presume it's "out there".) Especially since a 500 gig backup
drive is so cheap; BestBuy has a Seagate unit for $129 in this weeks
ad.

Yeah, but the point is to store your photos offsite, not necessarily online.
So you'd have to move the external disk to another location and periodically
bring it back to update it.

I use Picasa too and Adobe Photoshop Album. In the latter you can
crosscorrelate your photos by tagging them. Like keeping WDW photos by trip
but tagging them so you can look at all WDW photos. Or tagging all photos of
one person.

Marianne