Ko Lipe

Old September 30th, 2003, 08:26 AM
Margreet

Default Ko Lipe

Hi,
We are planning to stay at Ko Lipe in november this year. Is there
anybody who would share his/here experience with the accommodation. It
seems that there are 5 "resorts" but we don't know which one to pick.
Other advice about the island(s) is welcome too.
Thanks, Margreet

Old October 5th, 2003, 03:04 PM
Leong

Hi,

I was there ten years ago, don't know whether all the islands there are
still the same or is better developed. That why I don't reply your posting
until now as still no one replied. My informations may be outsated, anyhow
replying to you refresh my memory of my trip to KUa Lipe and Ko Adang.

We stayed at Ko Adang, An island further out than Ko Tarutoa. The distance
is doubled from Kua Lipe. By the way, Kua Lipe is a Boating Terminal on the
Main Land, you trvel from there on Ferry to all the islands outside. There
are arround 4 to 5 islands which are inhabited by then.

By that time, Ko Adang is just a small island with one setup providing
Bamboo Huts with Atap roofing and attached bathrooms was available. They
have a restaurant serving 3 meals per day and drinks are available.
Electicity is by Generator which all providing electricity to the small
village up to 9.00pm if I am not mistaken. After 9:00pm will be
candel-lighted. The water is not drinkable and you can buy drinking water
from restaurant. As it is all the same in Thailand. We carried bottled water
from Kua Lipe.
Anyway we, My wife, 3 teenaged children and myself spent 3 nites on Ko
Adang. We do enjoyed swimming, relaxing on the beach, though cannot compare
to large sandy beaches eslewhere but staying on the beach is very nice, I
felt. If you have Fishing Tackles with you then it is good fishing too.
We do have Monkeys, squirrels, rats ,spiders and ants arround but it is an
undeveloped island then. We do bring along Mosquito Rebellients and also
candles and also spray for the spiders.

Anyway, I think it is Monsoon Season now, we are staying in Penang,
Malaysia, the same side as Kua Lipe and we are having Long raining everyday
now, it may continue into December. During our last triop on the return
journey by Ferry, first we were stranded in the sea by 6 hours as the ferry
is overloaded and got grounded on some Corals and we have to wait for the
next hightide, and the rescue or replacement Ferry only arrived when we are
freed by the high tide. So we arrive back Mainland very late, as our Ferry
dare not travel fast after the incident and worse still we are caught in a
thunder storm with big waves, I am lucky to be able to write this to you.

As it is very common for the Ferry to overloaded, and also ferry will be
cancelled if there were Monsoon. It is ok to stay in Kua Lipe, and have day
trips or stay 1 or 2 nites out in the islands, but what is the point of
going there if not staying on the island. As recommened elsewhere in this
newsgroup it is better choice to Ko Toa. Makesure checkup the
transportation to Kua Lipe, we drove all the ways from Penang, Malaysia. It
is about 1.5 hours drive from any big town in southern Thailand.

Bye, hoped this will help.

Old October 6th, 2003, 12:10 AM
Margreet

Dear mr Leong,

Thank you for your reply. As you said, indeed it's 10 years ago, you've stayed
there and the sites about Ko Lipe say they have better accommodation now. Even
the ferry should be better now, so we still give it a try from november 26th
till december 5th (hope the monsoon will be over by then).
Sorry for you, that the weather itn,t to good in Penang. We will take our
fishing gear, sunprotection, spider-spray, snorkel-gear, candles etc. with us to
Ko Lipe, and hope for a nice time there, and if not we tried, and next year try
another destination. Thank you again for this serious reaction, and we will take
notice of it, even if it is you went there 10 years ago.
Margreet

Old October 6th, 2003, 12:24 AM
Margreet

Dear Thomas,

Thank you for your serious reaction this time. I really didn't want to
annoy somebody on this site by sending my message 4 or even 5 times, and
am thankful for your last "normal" answer. Like Alfred Molon says "it can
happen". Don't be angry to "new-comers" on this site like me.
Schöne Grüsse, von eine Käsekopfe aus Holland

"Thomas F. Unke" wrote:

"Leong" writes:

cancelled if there were Monsoon. It is ok to stay in Kua Lipe, and
have day trips or stay 1 or 2 nites out in the islands, but what is
the point of going there if not staying on the island.

Ko Lipe *is* an island. ~20 km to Langkawi and opposite to Ko Adang.

It used to be a beautiful, laid back place, good snorkelling and
diving. But I heard it is overrun now - not good for a small island.

Old October 7th, 2003, 02:54 PM
GIPI

Hi,
I can't believe seeing a post about this place. I was there last
christmas and I enjoyed it a great deal. It's a very small island, but
quite a paradise. I stayed at Phattaya Sorng which has Huts in bamboo
and concrete. I perfered the bamboo ones as they seemed a lot cooler and
characteristic even though they are very basic. The restuarant is
fantastic!!!! I will add inexpensive as well (at least it was then).
This is run by a italian named Stefano (quite a character!) and it is
situated on the western side of Hat Pattaya. Hat Pattaya is a beach on
the southern part of the island (opposite Ko Adang) and it happens to be
the better side of the island.
By the way if you are a diver, Stefano can get something organised for
you as it was something he used to do when he was younger (There are
also other resorts which offer this facility).
As I was there over new years eve, I was expecting to see stacks fo
people but strangely enough they all seemed to disappear. I hope it
hasn't changed.
BTW, whilst travelling down there, don't forget to stop at Ko Tarutao
, the marine nation park. They offer bungalow type accomodation and
camping accomodation. Go for the camping sites which are localted at the
southern part of the island. There'll be a few less people and the
whole place is very attractive.
If you need any more information please let me know, I'll be glad to help.
How I envy you! BTW, on the island (Ko Lipe) stop at Mama cafe
restaurant and have some chao-le cakes..delicious!
Have fun!
Gp