Ghan or Indian pacific

Old April 22nd, 2006, 06:49 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

Default Ghan or Indian pacific

Ok folsk, planning my 08 holiday. I have always wanted to do the Indian Pac
to Perth from Adelaide. Some one said that the rolling stock was old. Other
option is the Ghan all the way to Darwin. Really can't do both unless I win
the lottery.
Anyone who has tken either one I woild appreciate your comments

Thanks

Ian

Old April 22nd, 2006, 10:50 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

The carriages on both are basically the same!
The Ghan offers a more touristy journey with options for off train tours
along the way.
Watch the time of year you intend to travel. Summer is hot on the Nullabor
and hot plus wet in the north.
See http://www.gsr.com.au/
--
The Commissioner

www.the-commissioner.com

Old April 23rd, 2006, 09:59 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

Ok folsk, planning my 08 holiday. I have always wanted to do the Indian
Pac to Perth from Adelaide. Some one said that the rolling stock was old.
Other option is the Ghan all the way to Darwin. Really can't do both
unless I win the lottery.
Anyone who has tken either one I woild appreciate your comments

Thanks

Ian

Indian Pacfic to Sydney to Perth I did twice worth it.

--

www.experimentalist.co.uk/shop/index.php
Australia, New Zealand, USA, German, UK, South Africa, Thailand, Brazil Sim

Old April 23rd, 2006, 10:03 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

We have ridden the Ghan (Adelaide to Darwin) and enjoyed it.

From comments by other passengers at the time, the Indian Pacific is a bit
rough.

The line to Darwin is largely "new" and smoother.

Our own view: fairly rough to Alice Springs fairly smooth Alice to Darwin.

The Ghan stops in Alice and Katherine long enough to visit the town centre.

Service was good. Food was good. Staff were pleasant. Once done probably
wouldn't do it again.

Ross

Old April 25th, 2006, 10:44 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

No matter which train you take: you miss the sights that are away from the
train route.

For example:
- Ayers Rock / Uluru some 400 km away
- Kakadu Park
not to mention Mataranka or Coober Pedy.

What about this:
Take the Ghan from Adelaide to Alice Springs. Then book on a coach tour to
Ayers Rock, Kakadu Park and Darwin. Fly out from Darwin. This way you only
miss Coober Pedy.

I have made a camping safari with Australian Pacific from Adelaide to Darwin
in 1990 and highly enjoyed it.

Turan