New low cost international airline

Old September 22nd, 2004, 08:25 PM
jetsetpax

Default New low cost international airline

Apparently there's a new, international-only, low fare airline that's
starting service soon. They seem to be taking a really unconventional
approach by building what looks to be a hi-tech airline and turning to
potential customers to define their image and product.

I became interested in them as I was traveling last week and encountered
someone doing market research for them at the airport. I was offered a
chance to win to two free international airline tickets between the U.S.
and Europe in return for a few minutes of discussion on names they were
evaluating. I was asked if I happened to like a list of non-airline
brands, including Apple Computers, VW Cars, W Hotels, and Orange
Telecommunications. Apparently, they want an image similar to these
companies.

I was given a link to their site to vote on what their name is going to
be. Here is that site link,
http://www.nxgnenterprises.com/discussion/index.htm. Go and put your own
2 cents in yourself. If you win the airline tickets, just keep in mind
who told you.

Old September 23rd, 2004, 07:03 AM
Charles Newman

I wonder if they are not copying the "idea" of a low-cost international
airline for the "virtual" airlines in Flight Simulator. A lot of these
airlines,
if they existed in real life, would be low-cost international airlines.
Qantas is doing that now with Jetstar, which has had the people who
created the "virtual" airline up in arms. I dont know how long it will
be until the real-world Jetstar offers international flights, but I would
imagine they will eventually do it. The "virtual" airline has one flight
from New York to Beijing, which in the REAL world might actually
do well. As far as I know, that is no JFK to Beijing service in the
real world, and someone flying from JFK to Beijing would have
to fly elsewhere, and then change planes to go to Beijing. When you
insert the Jetstar AI traffic into Flight Simiulator, the JFK-Beijing line
is
done with a 747-400, and its about a 15 hour flight between the
two cities.
Speaking of virtual airlines, there is one that has Havana
to Tokyo progammed into a 747-400. I thought a 747-400 would
not have enough range to to HAV-NRT, and that only the 777-300
or Airbus 340-600 would have the range for that.
Some of the "virtual" airlines also have some strange designations
for Boeing aircraft. One of them has a 747-407. Huh? Boeing 747-407?
407 must be a strange designation that only exists in Flight Simulator.

lkabouttravelling.com...

Old September 23rd, 2004, 07:03 AM
Charles Newman

[...]

lkabouttravelling.com...

Old September 23rd, 2004, 08:09 AM
nobody

Charles Newman wrote:
Qantas is doing that now with Jetstar, which has had the people who
created the "virtual" airline up in arms.

Actually, Qantas' attempt at an international low cost carrier is called
"Australin Airlines" if I remember correctly.

imagine they will eventually do it. The "virtual" airline has one flight
from New York to Beijing, which in the REAL world might actually
do well.

No. For instance, the Singapore NYC-SIN flight costs a lot more to operate per
passenger due to cargo limitations, and the fact that for such a long flight,
you need to have fewer pax, more legroom, more than 2 meals, room to get up
and exercise etc. So it is sold as a premium flight.

Also, New York is not a big leasure/low cost destination. You are more likely
to see Sydney/Cairns as low cost destinations from Beijing or other asian
cities, which is exactly why Qantas setup its low cost intl carrier division.

Some of the "virtual" airlines also have some strange designations
for Boeing aircraft. One of them has a 747-407. Huh? Boeing 747-407?

Boing 747-400 series aircraft custom built for customer 07.
Old September 23rd, 2004, 01:34 PM
Charles Newman

"nobody" wrote in message
Charles Newman wrote:
Qantas is doing that now with Jetstar, which has had the people who
created the "virtual" airline up in arms.

Actually, Qantas' attempt at an international low cost carrier is called
"Australin Airlines" if I remember correctly.

There is a Jetstar started up by Qantas, which gave the people that
stared the virtual airline on the Web, and on Flight Simulator, fits.
There is a big bruhaha going on about that now, becuase they had
the name Jetstar before Qantas did.
I think the real-life Jetstar could become a low-cost international
airline with flights on all 5 continents, just like the virtual one does,
and hubs in several major cities around the world.
If and when the USA ever ends the travel ban on Cuba, I think
you could very well see Jetstar running Miami-Havana and
Miami-Holguin routes, just like the virtual one does.