Never, ever leave your vehicle in outback Australia

Old March 23rd, 2006, 01:46 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

Default Never, ever leave your vehicle in outback Australia

"Frank Slootweg" wrote in message

What stroke me as odd - and note that I'm *not* blaming the victim(s),
for reasons I have given earlier - is this:

[Quote:]
The trio had travelled to Meekatharra so Mr Neil, an air-conditioning
mechanic, could finish a job at the goldmine.

[Unquote.]

One would think that an air-conditioning mechanic doing a job at a
goldmine, would not be your city-type mechanic, but probably doing this
kind of thing more often. If so, a satellite safety beacon (EPIRB) would
have been a cheap and (IMO) minimum 'tool' for such a mechanic. I.e. I
fully understand that satphones are expensive and very expensive to use,
but an EPIRB costs what, a few hundred dollars? Or am I missing
something?

On last night's TV news it was reported that the driver has been charged
with possession of drugs, which were found in the vehicle. May not have had
anything to do with it but.....

Gerrit

Old March 23rd, 2006, 07:39 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

Do a search on the net - or just buy one. If you rent a 4WD, some
rental companies have them avaialble as an optional extra, along with
the spade, snatch strap, etc - well worth while getting the extras.

A spade is a very good, cheap recovery tool, takes time but works well.

I am reluctant to take a car far into the outback on the dirt tracks,
OK if the track is smooth and dry but if it gets rough or wet or sandy,
you either wreck the car or get stuck a lot easier than in a 4WD.

Water in the outback should be no problem, if you buy in it at the
supermarket before you leave civilisation 10litre bottles of water in
a tough plastic container - bought one today for $A3.60 (Home Brand
from Woolworths). Carry a 3 or 4 of these, cheap as and save your life.
Keep them for emergency only.

Stevesub

Old March 23rd, 2006, 09:12 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

"Roger" wrote in message
Sad to report another person has died after leaving her
broken down vehicle in a fairly remote area of WA.

Her two companions who stayed with the vehicle were
rescued on Sunday, she was found about 4kms from the
vehicle.

The one and only rule for breakdowns in the Outback -
never leave your vehicle.

Sat phones are prity cheap these days.

--

www.experimentalist.co.uk/shop/index.php
Australian, New Zealand, USA, UK, South African, Thailand Sim Cards.

Old March 23rd, 2006, 09:15 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

"Tom Johnstone" wrote in message
stevesub wrote:
EPIRB - $A200 to $A300 and available from any boat shop plus heaps of
other places. Also a spade ($A10) may have helped them get un-stuck

Stevesub

Out of interest, what would it cost to rent one if on holidays in Oz? Any
idea?

I have a EPIRB for sale if you want one.

Old March 23rd, 2006, 03:43 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

stevesub wrote:
EPIRB - $A200 to $A300 and available from any boat shop plus heaps of
other places. Also a spade ($A10) may have helped them get un-stuck

Stevesub

Out of interest, what would it cost to rent one if on holidays in Oz? Any
idea?

I have a EPIRB for sale if you want one.

I wish I was going to the outback soon, but won't be there again for at
least a year. Was out that way in December, but stuck to the main
(albeit gravel) roads since we didn't have a 4wd. Even so, we stocked up
with water - carried about 30L of drinking water and 20L of water for
the car (which we could have drank too if nec.) - as Stevesub said
above, it's easy to get that stuff in convenient plastic containers and
it costs basically nothing.

I'm hoping to do a 4WD trip up through the Pilbara for our next trip
back home - probably next year. If you still have your EPIRB then maybe
I'll buy it off you ;-)

Tom
Old March 23rd, 2006, 07:11 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

stevesub wrote:
[...]

You didn't say if you did rent last time and did not say if your
planning to rent.

It looks like on your previous trip you did not rent, because taking a
non-4WD rental car on gravel roads would most likely be violating the
rental conditions.

*If* next time you rent and rent a 4WD, then the rental company should
either provide an EPIRB as standard or for a small fee. If they don't
then seek another company.

Have fun in the Pilbara. You'll love it.
Old April 17th, 2006, 10:37 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

I have new one up at http://experimentalist.co.uk/shop/index.php?cPath=37

--

www.experimentalist.co.uk/shop/index.php
Australia, New Zealand, USA, German, UK, South Africa, Thailand, Brazil Sim

Old April 17th, 2006, 08:03 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

Tony wrote in message ...
On Mon, 17 Apr 2006 10:37:59 +0100, "www.poms.co.uk"
wrote:

stevesub wrote:
[...]

Thats a lot of money to pay for something that won't work in another 2
1/2 years.

In 2009 that frequency will no longer be used for epirbs.

Would work out around AU $400 + odd plus delivery I presume.

Not sure what is in aus $. Ta for letting us know. 2009 So you would get
few years use out of it and battery ok till 2010

ta