Lots of photos from attractions in and around Cairns

Old March 22nd, 2006, 02:22 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

Default Lots of photos from attractions in and around Cairns

For anyone looking for pics of some of the things you can see and do whilst
staying in the Cairns area, I have considerably updated my pictures page
for this area.

It now features pictures from Hartley's Creek, Wildworld, Green Island and
various attractions in Kuranda, including Birdworld and the Skyrail. If
this area interests you, or you just like pictures, check them out by
following the link to "Picture Index" from this page:

http://australia.plesbit.net/tnq/cairns1.htm

There are also reviews of some of the trips you can do can do in the area
if anyone is planning to visit. Any questions, come on over to the forums
and say hi.

Simon.

NEW! Australia & New Zealand Travel Forums - just opened
http://forum.plesbit.net

Old March 23rd, 2006, 01:47 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

"Simon Pleasants" wrote in message
For anyone looking for pics of some of the things you can see and do

whilst
staying in the Cairns area, I have considerably updated my pictures page
for this area.

Any idea as to whether any of these places were damaged by Larry?

Gerrit

Old March 23rd, 2006, 09:01 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

For anyone looking for pics of some of the things you can see and do
whilst
staying in the Cairns area, I have considerably updated my pictures page
for this area.

It now features pictures from Hartley's Creek, Wildworld, Green Island and
various attractions in Kuranda, including Birdworld and the Skyrail. If
this area interests you, or you just like pictures, check them out by
following the link to "Picture Index" from this page:

http://australia.plesbit.net/tnq/cairns1.htm

There are also reviews of some of the trips you can do can do in the area
if anyone is planning to visit. Any questions, come on over to the forums
and say hi.

Simon.

Ta nice pictures

--

www.experimentalist.co.uk/shop/index.php
Australian, New Zealand, USA, UK, South African, Thailand Sim Cards.

Old March 23rd, 2006, 11:36 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 09:47:26 +0800, "Gerrit 't Hart" wrote:

"Simon Pleasants" wrote in message
.. .
For anyone looking for pics of some of the things you can see and do

whilst
staying in the Cairns area, I have considerably updated my pictures page
for this area.

Any idea as to whether any of these places were damaged by Larry?

When was it? The pics were taken over multiple visits - some date back
years, some are about 6 months old. Apart from Undersea World, which I
cannot even confirm is there anymore, all sections contain at least some
pics from a few months ago.

Simon.

Old March 26th, 2006, 07:15 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 09:47:26 +0800, "Gerrit 't Hart" wrote:

"Simon Pleasants" wrote in message
.. .
For anyone looking for pics of some of the things you can see and do

whilst
staying in the Cairns area, I have considerably updated my pictures page
for this area.

Any idea as to whether any of these places were damaged by Larry?

Gerrit

Right - further to the above, I had not heard anything about a cyclone at
all over here. Only after your post did I go looking for information and
of course there is plenty of it. Speaking to others who had travelled with
us a few months ago no-one else had heard about Larry either!

Anyway, I looks like Innisfail took the brunt of the storm and Cairns was
right on the outskirts so I imagine most places would be relatively okay.
I'm going to fire off some emails to some of my contacts in the area anyway
to check on how they are.

Simon.

Old March 26th, 2006, 10:20 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

On Sun, 26 Mar 2006 19:15:14 +0100, Simon Pleasants
wrote:

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 09:47:26 +0800, "Gerrit 't Hart" wrote:

"Simon Pleasants" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Below is a fairly comprehensive follow-up report. The power
of the cyclone exceeded Katrina. Good prior warning and
appropriate action by citizens is IMO the reason that there
were no direct deaths and few casualties. Additionally, the
smaller population and a different geographical exposure to
the storm surge meant that the New Orleans experience was
quite different.

But the devastation of towns and crops is immense. I've
heard it stated on TV that we lost 80% of Australia's banana
production and 50% of our sugar cane production for the next
12 months - in one night. The economic effects of that will
be very substantial to the district.

The State and Federal governments reacted very quickly with
military support and other aid. Within a few days General
Peter Cosgrove, ex-Chief of the Defence Force, was appointed
as the supremo to co-ordinate all aid and reconstruction
activities.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems...3/s1600597.htm

Photos:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/indepth/f...s/s1596452.htm

Cheers, Alan, Australia
Old March 29th, 2006, 10:12 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 08:20:29 +1100, Alan S wrote:

Below is a fairly comprehensive follow-up report.

{snip}

Okay - thanks for that. I'm still awaiting confirmation from friends /
contacts in the area that they are okay. Once I have that I will try to
find out a little about the places featured on my website and see how
they're doing. I cannot imagine the Skyrail or the Ocean Free would come
out of it scot free.

Simon.

Old March 29th, 2006, 01:09 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 10:12:37 +0100, Simon Pleasants
wrote:

Okay - thanks for that. I'm still awaiting confirmation from friends /
contacts in the area that they are okay. Once I have that I will try to
find out a little about the places featured on my website and see how
they're doing. I cannot imagine the Skyrail or the Ocean Free would come
out of it scot free.

Simon.

Still no power in many places; critical facilities are using
generators. Lots of phones and also the transceivers for
mobiles are out.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
Old March 31st, 2006, 01:01 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 23:09:24 +1100, Alan S wrote:

Still no power in many places; critical facilities are using
generators. Lots of phones and also the transceivers for
mobiles are out.

Doesn't sound good. I heard back from all the people I contacted,
everyone's okay. One of them tells me the Skyrail went back into action
yesterday so they must have been well prepared for it.

Simon.

Old April 17th, 2006, 05:54 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

I am looking for a friend of mine from England who came to the United
States and shared a VERY interesting helicopter ride with a gal from
the United States and then went with her parents and her to a bat cave
in Missouri - are you the same Simon Pleasants? Yes, that was many
years ago and I have a picture still! If it is the same I can't believe
I found you again! I called Princess Alexandra but I was mixed up on
the time and I am suppose to call back Tuesday. If it is you I won't
need to. SO I will know it is you, when you respond, what is your
brother's name? My husband can't wait to meet you!