Good time of year for Yosemite / good park for late July or early August?

Old September 28th, 2003, 11:53 PM
Charles Kozierok

Default Good time of year for Yosemite / good park for late July or early August?

After just doing an insane 7-hour visit to Yosemite I *need* to go back.
I want to try to plan a trip there for next year and do it right. I am
trying to get my research in place as soon as possible.

The first issue I am wondering about is what is a good time to go. This
time I went in September on a Monday, and I really did NOT find it
overly crowded. The waterfalls were a bit anemic but I had expected
that.

If we do this next year, we most likely must do it either the last week
of July or first week of August. Is this going to be a really bad time
to try to do this area? Will the waterfalls be mostly dry? Will there still
be wildflowers in the meadows? Will the crowds be ridiculous? I will
arrange the trip so we are in the park during the week again, not the weekend
but the crowd warnings scare me (though they were not nearly as bad as
some people said on my day trip.)

Ideally, I would like to go when the weather is predictable (and good),
there is still some snow in the mountains but not enough to close Tioga
Pass, and the waterfalls and flowers are looking good. I realize this is
likely well before the end of July but wondering if I might be "close
enough".

If late July is not a good time for Yosemite, maybe we will do a
different park or park region and do Yosemite some other year.
The other area I was considering was the AZ/UT park region,
but it seems like a bit of a hot place to go that time of year.
What's a good park to do that time of year? Note that we did go to
Yellowstone this past summer. Maybe the Canadian Rockies?

I am sure I will have more questions as time goes on. Thanks all!

peace,

-*-
charles
Old September 29th, 2003, 02:43 AM
Patty Winter

In article ,
Charles Kozierok wrote:
After just doing an insane 7-hour visit to Yosemite I *need* to go back.
I want to try to plan a trip there for next year and do it right. I am
trying to get my research in place as soon as possible.

Good idea! That way you can make hotel reservations ASAP.

If we do this next year, we most likely must do it either the last week
of July or first week of August. Is this going to be a really bad time
to try to do this area?

Yes. Although as others have pointed out, if you can get even a bit
away from the most commonly used paths and trails, the crowds won't
be too bad.

Will the waterfalls be mostly dry?

If not dry, then at least minimal. But of course, Vernal and Nevada
Falls run all year.

Ideally, I would like to go when the weather is predictable (and good),
there is still some snow in the mountains but not enough to close Tioga
Pass, and the waterfalls and flowers are looking good. I realize this is
likely well before the end of July but wondering if I might be "close
enough".

Any chance you could go in the spring? You wouldn't be able to visit
Tuolumne Meadows or Glacier Point, but the falls will be great.

Patty

Old September 29th, 2003, 03:12 AM
Ken

Go Fig wrote in news:gofig-03850E.19100628092003
@news.comcast.giganews.com:
If not dry, then at least minimal. But of course, Vernal and Nevada
Falls run all year.

It is hard to say for sure, but the last week of July the falls should
be better minimal.

Nevada and Vernal aren't bad in late summer. Yosemite Falls and Bridalveil
are pretty much done for the season, though. Most tourists ignore Nevada and
Vernal because they aren't easily visible from a car window.
Old September 29th, 2003, 06:33 AM
Lawrence Akutagawa

My $0.02...

Best for the waterfalls is early/mid June. Tioga Road and Glacier Point
Road usually open Memorial Day weekend. But if it's been a wet winter,
expect a delay of a week or two. Late July/early August sees more or less
diminished flow of Yosemite Falls. And no Ribbon Falls.

The dogwoods bloom around early/mid April...by early May they usually are
going downhill. But chances are Tioga Road and Glacier Point Road will
still be closed.

Gas...if coming via hwy 120 (as you did) fill up at Oakdale and top off in
Groveland. If using hwy 140, fill up at Merced and top off in Mariposa.
San Jose is closer timewise if you take the 140/59/152/101 route.

Consider staying either at Camp Curry or Yosemite Lodge. Dunno what the
prices are these days, but accomodations are fewer since the flood a number
of years ago destroyed the cabins at the lodge. These cabins have never
been replaced.

A wonderful way to spend a day is to hike from Glacier Point down to Happy
Isles via Panoramic Trail, Nevada Falls, Emerald Pool, Vernal Falls, and the
Mist Trail. Dally at Franklin Rock downstream from Vernal Falls (and a
hundred yards or so upstream from the bridge where most folks coming up from
Happy Isles turn around) for a classic view of Vernal Falls. The only
problem is getting back to your car. There used to be a bus from the valley
to Glacier Point...this would be one solution. Otherwise you need two cars
or hitch.

Another day trip worth mentioning is the hike from Tuoloumne Meadows to
Lower Cathedral Lake, Upper Cathedral Lake, and Columbia Finger/Peak.

Be advised that the best fog free time of the year in San Francisco is from
early October until the storms appear in November. This period, as they
say, is San Francisco's summer.

Old September 29th, 2003, 01:15 PM
Andi Ferguson

"Charles Kozierok" wrote in message
[snip] If late July is not a good time for Yosemite, maybe we will do a
different park or park region and do Yosemite some other year.
The other area I was considering was the AZ/UT park region,
but it seems like a bit of a hot place to go that time of year.
What's a good park to do that time of year? Note that we did go to
Yellowstone this past summer. Maybe the Canadian Rockies?

Mid to late June is the best time to do the valley; late July is the perfect
time to do the high sierras. Whatever your plans are, they should include
avoiding the valley Friday - Sunday. Getting started early is a very good
way to avoid the crowds.

You're right late July is not the time to do AZ/UT. The best time to do
those places is spring or fall.

Basically, late July is a great time to do places at higher altitudes and/or
more northern climes like Glacier National Park or the Rockies.