Upper NY/VT state question please

Old July 14th, 2010, 05:34 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
- Bobb -[_2_]

Default Upper NY/VT state question please

I'm planning a casual trip thru the Adirondacks to check out the scenery and
looking at 'what else to see' nearby. If you're familiar with the area north
of Plattsburg,NY / St Albans : is it a scenic ride? - worth the extra time
to make the loop ?
http://rideplanner.harley-davidson.c...r/share/334486
If you take a look at this road map and picture the outlined area north of
Plattsburg as the head of a body, is it worth the ride up and down into VT ?
Or should we chop off the head ?The North/South Hero areas ... empty
island - crowded beaches ?

I see that there's a ferry from Burlington to North Kent and that the option
we are considering, SO ... should we drive up/down/around Champlain - or
ferry ?
http://www.ferries.com/cgi-bin/printerpage.pl

Old July 14th, 2010, 11:35 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Joe Makowiec

On 14 Jul 2010 in rec.travel.usa-canada, - Bobb - wrote:

I'm planning a casual trip thru the Adirondacks to check out the
scenery and looking at 'what else to see' nearby. If you're familiar
with the area north of Plattsburg,NY / St Albans : is it a scenic
ride? - worth the extra time to make the loop ?

Once you get north of the High Peaks in New York (this would include
Plattsburg), there's not much there there. It's kinda flat and not
much going on until you reach Montréal. (Make sure you have a passport
if you decide to cross into Canada - WHTI and all...
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2223.html)

http://rideplanner.harley-davidson.c...r/share/334486
If you take a look at this road map and picture the outlined area
north of Plattsburg as the head of a body, is it worth the ride up
and down into VT ? Or should we chop off the head ?The North/South
Hero areas ... empty island - crowded beaches ?

I see that there's a ferry from Burlington to North Kent and that
the option we are considering, SO ... should we drive
up/down/around Champlain - or ferry ?

I suppose it depends on whether you like ferry rides. (My wife, who
grew up on the water, will almost always preferably take a ferry, so we
take a lot of ferries.) The Vermont side of Lake Champlain is
incredibly scenic, and there's quite a bit to do there. In fact, you
could stay on US 7 all the way to Stockbridge.

--
Joe Makowiec
http://makowiec.org/
Old July 15th, 2010, 04:19 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
- Bobb -[_2_]

"Joe Makowiec" wrote in message
3.230...
[...]

Thanks Joe,
As for the ferry ride - doesn't matter to us. Just trying to determine if
the ride up and over and down ( thru point 8 on the map) is worth it. If
nothing but asphalt for that part, then we'll do they ferry, BUT if there is
nice scenery, or another reason, then that's fine - we'll do 'up and over'.
And if so, then do you suggest going down thru Grand Isle, or east - then
down the coastline - thru St Albans Bay ?
We're in no hurry and just trying to get some advice so that we can 'see all
we can '.
Thanks.

Old July 15th, 2010, 06:50 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Joe Makowiec

On 15 Jul 2010 in rec.travel.usa-canada, - Bobb - wrote:

As for the ferry ride - doesn't matter to us. Just trying to
determine if the ride up and over and down ( thru point 8 on the
map) is worth it. If nothing but asphalt for that part, then we'll
do they ferry, BUT if there is nice scenery, or another reason, then
that's fine - we'll do 'up and over'. And if so, then do you suggest
going down thru Grand Isle, or east - then down the coastline - thru
St Albans Bay ? We're in no hurry and just trying to get some advice
so that we can 'see all we can '.

Truth be told, I'm not all that familiar with the far north of Lake
Champlain on the Vermont side. I do know the New York side, and from
Plattsburg on up, it's mostly flat (I87), unless you want to drop down
and take US 9 along the lakeshore.

Old July 15th, 2010, 11:34 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
- Bobb -[_2_]

Good enough .
Will do
Thanks

3.210...

Old July 16th, 2010, 09:50 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
terrable

"- Bobb -" wrote in message
I'm planning a casual trip thru the Adirondacks to check out the scenery
and looking at 'what else to see' nearby. If you're familiar with the area
north of Plattsburg,NY / St Albans : is it a scenic ride? - worth the
extra time to make the loop ?
http://rideplanner.harley-davidson.c...r/share/334486
If you take a look at this road map and picture the outlined area north of
Plattsburg as the head of a body, is it worth the ride up and down into VT
? Or should we chop off the head ?The North/South Hero areas ... empty
island - crowded beaches ?

I see that there's a ferry from Burlington to North Kent and that the
option we are considering, SO ... should we drive up/down/around
Champlain - or ferry ?
http://www.ferries.com/cgi-bin/printerpage.pl

As long as you will be in that area are you planning to visit Ausable Chasm
(Keeseville, NY) ?