Scenic CA state parks south of Yosemite?

Old August 25th, 2004, 08:18 PM
Todd Kunioka

(Patty Winter) wrote in message ...
In article ,
Todd Kunioka wrote:

Good news about Devil's Postpile is that the Golden Eagle pass will
cover the shuttle bus fee from Mammoth Mountain down to Devil's
Postpile and back. Used to be that the monument was "free," but you
needed to pay for the shuttle bus.

Ah, interesting. That's a good tip that I don't think anyone else
has mentioned yet: if the original poster is interested in visiting
areas that have access fees and are managed by the U.S. Forest Service,
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, or Bureau of Land Management, an upgrade
from the basic National Parks Pass to the Golden Eagle pass would be
a good idea.

Ah, that's a good point, and something I should have clarified. Even
though Devil's Postpile is administered by the NPS, the road to
Devil's Postpile is controlled by the USDA Forest Service. So you
specifically do need the Golden Eagle [or I think other "Golden"
passes for the aged or disabled] to get a free shuttle ride to this
particular national monument. Otherwise, there's a per head charge.

And, yes, with the expansion of "fee demo," there are lots of non-NPS
places that used to be free now require a fee. Oddly enough, for
example, the South Tufa reserve at Mono Lake, which is within the
Forest Service's Mono Basin National Forest Scenic Area, but which is
also a state reserve, nonetheless also requires a fee that would be
covered by a federal Golden Eagle pass.

The Forest Service's Mono Lake visitors center would also be covered
by your Golden Eagle. However, the folks at the VC did not seem to be
very concerned about actually collecting their money. That's a little
strange, because the whole point behind fee demo [well, okay, one of
the points] was to give the land management agencies an incentive to
raise funds locally that would be used to develop visitor services
locally.

TK
Old August 26th, 2004, 07:18 AM
RVerDon

How things change!
When I visited an April 22 many years ago, I drove right down the
dirt road to the Postpile. Why do I remember the date? I was at
Furnace Creek on April 23 and it was upteen degrees warmer than
anticipated. Extremely memorable.

I remember going to the Postpile the first time when I was 7 or 8. That was
1937 or 38. We were in a 34 Ford 2 door sedan. I was in the back seat with
all the camping gear and food. No trunk on the 34 Ford. I remember the
road as being nothing but a couple of tracks for several miles. We went
over Tioga Pass to get to the Postpile and it wasn't much of a road in those
days either.

Don in Tracy, Calif.