Food poisoning

Old November 28th, 2004, 12:28 PM
Oliver H.

Default Food poisoning

What is the probability that the problem was what I ate at the airport or on
the plane.

Quite likely.

I once had a meal on a IAD-CDG flight in which the cold stuff wasn't really
cold and the hot not quite hot. That is not a good sign: in my food safety
class, we learned about 100 degrees of danger: from 41 to 141 degrees!

Anyway, by approach time, I felt very queasy. Like you, I never got ill, but it
was uncomfortable.

Food poisoning can be caused by bacteria, which take more time to do their evil
deed, or by toxins, which are the byproducts of microorganisms, and which act
right away. That is why you could, for instance, reboil a spoiled food and it
could still be dangerous: you've killed the microorganism, but not the toxins
which it produced.

My experience in the food industry indicates that such instances are on the
rise, because food is pre-prepared, and barely re-heated. Pre-packaged salad is
a scary thought for me.

http://www.calcaf.com/Cooking_Tips/c..._tips1200.html

Did you have good food in Peru? I liked the Amazon food more than the Andes
food myself. And I sanitized everything with big gulps of Inka Cola...

**************
O.H.
Old November 28th, 2004, 08:29 PM
Allan Larsen

...caused by bacteria...or by toxins...
This is the problem with the flu vaccine. The bacteria could be killed
with radiation if nothing else,but the toxins would possibly remain.
How was the food
The only things worth commenting on are that the honey was bad and the
salt seemed flat. I don`t know if the honey came from killer bees.