Mastercard ATM problems: Warning!

Old June 7th, 2004, 12:43 PM
Miguel Cruz

Default Mastercard ATM problems: Warning!

wrote:
Miguel Cruz wrote:
wrote:
Miguel Cruz wrote:
wrote:
Turkey is an Asian country.

Like Russia?

Have you been to Turkey?

Have you been in Canada ?

As I described elsewhere, Canada is not like Europe. Canada is in country
code 1 and therefore there are special rules.

If I recall right, in your opinion Canada is non-American. And now it
seems that Turkey is European.

Canada is a country in North America, but it is not America, which is a
different country in North America.

And Turkey, like Russia, straddles the notional Europe-Asia boundary, and
many of its people share a great many cultural characteristics with the rest
of Europe.

So your recollection appears to be on target.

miguel

Old June 7th, 2004, 05:41 PM
Markku Grönroos

"Miguel Cruz" wrote in message
As I described elsewhere, Canada is not like Europe. Canada is in

country
code 1 and therefore there are special rules.

If I recall right, in your opinion Canada is non-American. And now it
seems that Turkey is European.

Canada is a country in North America, but it is not America, which is a
different country in North America.

Nobody has claimed Canada being America but American.

Merriam-Webster Online dictionary suggests for AMERICA:

1 either continent (N. America or S. America) of the western hemisphere
2 or the Amer·i·cas the lands of the western hemisphere including N.,
Central, & S. America & the W. Indies

The natural approach is to see North America being a subset in America (as
in definition above). So, because Canada is a subset in North America it is
also a subset in America. It would be rather odd to insist that only red
dogs are dogs while dogs of any other colour are in fact cats.

Some people refer to USA as America but this is not in controversy with
lines above when an agreement about the notation holds. Similarly we can
refer to Finland as Europe. As a matter of fact in Finland we do so.

And Turkey, like Russia, straddles the notional Europe-Asia boundary, and
many of its people share a great many cultural characteristics with the

rest
of Europe.

Malawi and Nepal share a great deal of cultural characteristics with Europe
and they are not European. Turkey is Asian. US America is European. America
is not [in] Europe though. The US American establishment is about 100%
European.

Old June 7th, 2004, 08:16 PM
Tchiowa

wrote:
Miguel Cruz wrote:
wrote:
Miguel Cruz wrote:
wrote:
Turkey is an Asian country.

Like Russia?

Have you been to Turkey?

Have you been in Canada ?

As I described elsewhere, Canada is not like Europe. Canada is in country
code 1 and therefore there are special rules.

If I recall right, in your opinion Canada is non-American. And now it
seems that Turkey is European.

Canada is a country in North America, but it is not America, which is a
different country in North America.

And Turkey, like Russia, straddles the notional Europe-Asia boundary, and
many of its people share a great many cultural characteristics with the rest
of Europe.

Certainly Turkey is more European than Asian.
Old June 7th, 2004, 11:28 PM
devil

On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 11:43:15 +0000, Miguel Cruz wrote:

wrote:
Miguel Cruz wrote:
wrote:
Miguel Cruz wrote:
wrote:
Turkey is an Asian country.

Like Russia?

Have you been to Turkey?

Have you been in Canada ?

As I described elsewhere, Canada is not like Europe. Canada is in country
code 1 and therefore there are special rules.

If I recall right, in your opinion Canada is non-American. And now it
seems that Turkey is European.

Canada is a country in North America, but it is not America, which is a
different country in North America.

Getting into the semantics of this statement (not that I really cares, but
someone got to do the devil's advocate here).

Strictly speaking, that different country is not called America,
but *the United States of* America. Which by its very name seems to imply
America is a superset. Presumably the American continent.

But then in short order, the full name colloquially gets shortened etc.
And then USA folks end up reinvindicating a registered brand etc.

Old June 8th, 2004, 01:52 AM
Markku Grönroos

"Tchiowa" wrote in message
om...

Certainly Turkey is more European than Asian.

Turkey is not European at all. Comparisons here are just dull.

Old June 8th, 2004, 06:17 PM
Tchiowa

wrote:
Miguel Cruz wrote:
wrote:
Miguel Cruz wrote:
wrote:
[...]

The fact is that "America" refers to the US. No, it's not the
"official name" but it is the name that people use.
Old June 9th, 2004, 02:40 AM
devil

wrote:
Miguel Cruz wrote:
wrote:
Miguel Cruz wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Seems like you are in agrement with what I said then? That technically
it's not but as a practical matter it usually is not?