Mexico City airport to Zocalo

Old October 7th, 2003, 03:51 AM
Les Wright

Default Mexico City airport to Zocalo

Is there bus or subway transportation to the Zocalo in Mexico City from the
Airport?

Any help here would be appreciated.

Les Wright

Old October 7th, 2003, 04:36 AM
Richard Ferguson

There is a subway station at the airport just beyond the south end of
the airport. Look for the Metro sign.

I would note that pickpockets and robbers do work the subway, so I would
not recommend getting on the metro with your luggage, credit cards, etc.
If you have luggage, buy a taxi ticket and the taxi ticket window and
take it to the official taxi stand. Mexico City has serious crime
problems, including taxi robberies if you take random passing taxis.

Richard

Old October 7th, 2003, 07:43 AM
Douglas S. Ladden

The Terran carbon-based unit designating itself as Richard Ferguson
shared its ideas in rec.travel.latin-america on
Tue, 07 Oct 2003 03:36:14 GMT:

[FIXED TOP POSTING]

Les Wright wrote:

Is there bus or subway transportation to the Zocalo in Mexico City
from the Airport?

Any help here would be appreciated.

Les Wright

There is a subway station at the airport just beyond the south end of
the airport. Look for the Metro sign.

There is in fact a metro station there, however, getting from
there to the Zocalo by metro is somewhat of a pain, requiring at least
two train transfers. You can see the map of the metro he
http://www.metropla.net/am/mexi/mexico.htm. You would be starting on
the Yellow line on the far right at "Terminal Aerea", and you'd be going
to "Zocalo" almost center of the map, which is on the darker blue line.

I would note that pickpockets and robbers do work the subway, so I
would not recommend getting on the metro with your luggage, credit
cards, etc.

Though pickpockets are a problem, especially in the crowded metro
cars, I have not seen robbery as being a problem on the metro. I would
heed Richard's advise and not take any luggage with you on the metro
(aside from it not being permitted). A school-type backpack is
perfectly fine, however. If you do take your credit cards, etc., with
you, make sure you put them somewhere that no one can access without you
being damn well aware of it.

If you have luggage, buy a taxi ticket and the taxi ticket window
and take it to the official taxi stand.

Even if you don't have luggage, if you're going to the Zocalo,
you'll get there a lot faster than the metro in a taxi. There are so
many buses/microbuses/peseros and routes that I'm sure there is a way to
the Zocalo from the Airport, but I'm not familiar with it. Your best
bet is the taxi.

Mexico City has serious crime
problems, including taxi robberies if you take random passing taxis.

I've never had a problem with either crime or taking passing taxis
during the time I lived there for 2 of the last three years. However,
it is a good idea to get a cab from a sitio, hotel, or to call for one
to pick you up. As in any big city, you need to take basic precautions,
and not stick out. Good luck, and enjoy!

--Douglas
Old October 7th, 2003, 08:15 AM
tile

I guess the best idea is a taxi that is not very expensive
( i think 100 to 150 pesos )
I took a hotel in the zocalo.
the zone is a forbidden zone by night.
during the day there is no problem.