Finally going to Kruger this weekend - any last minute tips?

Old June 29th, 2005, 08:32 PM
VK

Default Finally going to Kruger this weekend - any last minute tips?

After some delays due to work, and a horrible period when it looked as
though I may have to cancel, all the stars aligned themselves 2 days
ago. Got the car rental and 2 weeks of accommodation squared away in
Kruger, and we are off this Saturday.

I'll be using a 20D+500/4 and a 100-400IS on 2 DSLR bodies. A G6 will
provide the wideangle. We're renting a Toyota Condor, and plan to buy
the "Where to watch game in Kruger NP" once we get there. Been
reading up on SANParks.org on the various campsites and favorite
places?

Soooo.... any last minute tips, must-see/must-do things? Any of you
photographers who've been there - any preferred locations?

We will be leaving for Kruger on early Sat morning, but our reservation
doesnt begin until the 3rd (Mopani). Suggestions on the best way to
use these 2 days?

Cheers,
Vandit

Old June 30th, 2005, 02:04 AM
Incognito

In article .com, VK
wrote:

We will be leaving for Kruger on early Sat morning, but our reservation
doesnt begin until the 3rd (Mopani). Suggestions on the best way to
use these 2 days?

Cheers,
Vandit

Blyde River canyon is just west of Kruger as I recall from last summer.
There is a more circular trip one can drive there than we drove, and
the mini-Grand Canyon is worth a look. Haze was so bad late in the aft-
ernoon the day we visited that photography was not promising but early
in the day might be better.

Watch out for the baboons in camping areas. . . they can grab stuff and
run. You'll have a wonderful time. We did. Besides your guide and/or
guidebook you need just a bit of luck. Leopards seem most difficult to
spot. After 3 days looking in Kruger, we finally saw one just as we were
driving out. . . lying regally atop a small rise near the road. ---Ken
Old June 30th, 2005, 05:02 AM
Scott Elliot

Even though you have your own van, take some of the early morning guided
drives in Kruger. The guides will show you lots of thing to look for when
spotting game on your own. The 100-400 IS should be ideal for the back of
one of those tour trucks, but try to talk the guide into turning off the
motor while you take photos.

Remember the birds and small game. The lilac breasted rollers and
kingfishers make just as good photos as the big five.

Have a good time.

Scott

oups.com...

Old June 30th, 2005, 10:25 AM
VK

Incognito wrote:
Blyde River canyon is just west of Kruger as I recall from last summer.
There is a more circular trip one can drive there than we drove, and
the mini-Grand Canyon is worth a look. Haze was so bad late in the aft-
ernoon the day we visited that photography was not promising but early
in the day might be better.

Hi Ken -

Thanks for that tip - we were indeed thinking of Blyde River, but good
to know that the afternoons arent the best. We'll do it on the morning
of the 3rd, before entering the park.

And good to have that reminder about baboons - last time I was in
Kenya, I saw this troop of baboons completely rip apart some poor guy's
tent, scattering its contents all over the place. We're staying in
bungalows and dont really plan to cook ourselves - except for maybe a
braai or two at some point (both the wife and I dislike cooking -
Restaurants on the Run is more along our line of thinking when it comes
to food :P)

Cheers,
Vandit

Old June 30th, 2005, 10:34 AM
VK

Scott Elliot wrote:
Even though you have your own van, take some of the early morning guided
drives in Kruger. The guides will show you lots of thing to look for when
spotting game on your own. The 100-400 IS should be ideal for the back of
one of those tour trucks, but try to talk the guide into turning off the
motor while you take photos.

Thanks for that tip. I consider myself a reasonably good spotter, but
usually, I am in an open jeep being driven by someone else. My first
time driving AND trying to spot as well.

Remember the birds and small game. The lilac breasted rollers and
kingfishers make just as good photos as the big five.

Yeah, I do plan to spend a fair bit of time getting bird shots. I've
been digging up locations where fish eagles, secretary birds, etc. are
seen regularly. What I'd really like is to get some shots of larger
owls... that is one group of birds for which I have no photos on file.

Vandit