Botswana: Maun - Moremi - Chobe - Kasane, any tips ?

Old June 27th, 2005, 01:27 PM

Default Botswana: Maun - Moremi - Chobe - Kasane, any tips ?

Hi,

we're planning to cross Botswana coming from Namibia (Windhoek) via
Maun, Moremi and Chobe and will return to Namibia via Caprivi.

Of course, I have a few questions for the experts...

Has anybody recently visited on of the following campsites:
- Third Bridge Campsite
- Xakanaxa Campsite
- Savuti Campsite

In what condition are they (working water supply ?) ? Did you have to
book in advance ? Is it sufficient to book by arrival in Maun ? We're
planning to go there mid of July.

How were the roads ? Did you have severe problems when driving there
during the dry season ? How many days should I reserve for the trip
Maun - Kasane ?

Oh, and what about Malaria in July ?

Thanks a lot in advance
Stephan

Old June 27th, 2005, 02:31 PM
Lou

schreef in bericht
ups.com...
Hi,

we're planning to cross Botswana coming from Namibia (Windhoek) via
Maun, Moremi and Chobe and will return to Namibia via Caprivi.

Of course, I have a few questions for the experts...

Has anybody recently visited on of the following campsites:
- Third Bridge Campsite
- Xakanaxa Campsite
- Savuti Campsite

In what condition are they (working water supply ?) ? Did you have to
book in advance ? Is it sufficient to book by arrival in Maun ? We're
planning to go there mid of July.

How were the roads ? Did you have severe problems when driving there
during the dry season ? How many days should I reserve for the trip
Maun - Kasane ?

Oh, and what about Malaria in July ?

Thanks a lot in advance
Stephan

Stephan,
Have a look to the info I have given to Emile

==================================
Lou Andreoli
Human, wildlife & nature photographer
http://www.homepages.hetnet.nl/~louine

==================================

Old June 27th, 2005, 11:35 PM
Hans Schoelink

Has anybody recently visited on of the following campsites:
- Third Bridge Campsite
- Xakanaxa Campsite
- Savuti Campsite

The last time I visited Third bridge & Savuti was in august 2004.

In what condition are they (working water supply ?) ? Did you have to
book in advance ? Is it sufficient to book by arrival in Maun ? We're
planning to go there mid of July.

I never booked in advance but in 2004 it was really difficult to book a
campsite and headquarters in Maun. I decided to book any campsite and
instead went to camp at Kwai Bridge (north gate) and Savuti. Just go to the
Ranger and tell him that you won't to stay there instead.

How were the roads ? Did you have severe problems when driving there
during the dry season ? How many days should I reserve for the trip
Maun - Kasane ?

Maun - kasane can be done in 2 days. The roads are sandy but with 4x4 it
won't be any trouble to get tru. Only when crossing the "Sandridge" I
engaged low gear with my Landy...

Oh, and what about Malaria in July ?

There won't be any mosquito at all!

Regards, Hans