How to pack light, some tips

Old August 20th, 2007, 07:31 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.asia
William Black

Default How to pack light, some tips

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
William Black wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
http://home.comcast.net/~plutarch/packlight.html

This guy carries a HUGE bottle of shampoo, vitamin pills and
aspirin, but doesn't carry Imodium or a mobile phone...

Or an ace bandage or any other kind of first aid items.

He carries a towel that weighs half a pound...

But he doesn't carry a change of trousers...

Maybe he carries the big towel because that's what he wears when he's
washing his jeans in the sink in the bathroom in the bus station.

Then there are his jeans. He's obviously never gotten soaked to the
skin in cool weather in jeans and then had to live in them or go
naked. And his recommendation to cut them off if it gets hot--so what
does he do if it then turns cool?

He's also never been to the tropics.

You're 20oz Levies are way too warm...

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old August 20th, 2007, 07:32 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.asia
William Black

"Spehro Pefhany" wrote in message

He also recommends you buying batteries when you need them, which does
rather seem to indicate that he doesn't get off the beaten track much...

Depends what kind of batteries you need... AA cells and 9V batteries
are available just about anywhere.

Not outside tourist areas in the Third World.

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old August 20th, 2007, 07:34 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.asia
tim.....

"Spehro Pefhany" wrote in message
On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 11:08:41 GMT, the renowned "William Black"
wrote:

wrote in message
groups.com...
http://home.comcast.net/~plutarch/packlight.html

This guy carries a HUGE bottle of shampoo, vitamin pills and aspirin,
but
doesn't carry Imodium or a mobile phone...

I carry a small bottle of shampoo, because I don't like the free

I too take my own shampoo, but I think it was the quantity
that's the issue. I decant it into those little bottles that
hotels give away. One of these easily last a week.

tim

Old August 20th, 2007, 07:35 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.asia
William Black

"Markku Grönroos" wrote in message
i.fi...

"Spehro Pefhany" kirjoitti
om...

I carry a small bottle of shampoo, because I don't like the free
stuff. Maybe 200ml, which could last for several weeks. Not having a
mobile phone seems silly.

Why? When travelling on holiday, you need a phone. I don't need one.

Some people go to places where a mobile phone will work and there aren't any
public phones.

I makes a certain amount of sense to carry a PAYG mobile with a few pounds
credit on it just in case you have a nasty experience.

--
William Black

Time for tea.

Old August 20th, 2007, 07:47 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.asia
James Silverton[_2_]

me wrote on Mon, 20 Aug 2007 06:33:35 -0700:

I tend to agree: I will use a clipped version of your points.

m Something can be cheap to acquire, but I know I'll need
m it almost immediatly upon arrival, if not sooner, so I'll
m frequenlty just take it with me.

m Clothes I own and it can be time consuming to purchase
m them there so I tend to take them with me. Some clothes are
m unlikely to be needed so if I do end up needing them, I'll
m buy them there. This is especially true of something bulky
m like a jacket or sweater.

m Chargers, converters, cameras, computers, etc. I own
m and it can be time consuming and expensive to
m shop for them upon arrival, so I tend to bring them.

Another thing to consider is the weight of your suitcase. I
discovered this when one airline started rigorously applying a
50lb weight limit and I had to take things out and carry them
on. I weighed the suitcase when I got home and it was 20lb:
*empty*! I now have one the same size that weighs 10lb.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Old August 20th, 2007, 07:52 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.asia
me[_5_]

On Aug 20, 2:47 pm, "James Silverton"
wrote:
[snip]
Another thing to consider is the weight of your suitcase. I
discovered this when one airline started rigorously applying a
50lb weight limit and I had to take things out and carry them
on. I weighed the suitcase when I got home and it was 20lb:
*empty*! I now have one the same size that weighs 10lb.

Yup. Had to give up my beloved hard side. Thing weighed
17 lbs empty. Switched to one of those "crushable" sided
cases. It was about half as heavy. My toothpaste however
ruptured under the crushing weight of something though.

Old August 20th, 2007, 07:55 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.asia
Doesn't Frequently Mop

Make credence recognised that on Mon, 20 Aug 2007 15:58:18 +0300,
Markku Grönroos has scripted:

"Spehro Pefhany" kirjoitti
viestissä:nl3jc3pki22123egcss1f7vrbitem9vb0v@4ax. com...

I carry a small bottle of shampoo, because I don't like the free
stuff. Maybe 200ml, which could last for several weeks. Not having a
mobile phone seems silly.

Why? When travelling on holiday, you need a phone. I don't need one.

Until you need one, and then you need one.

Phones are very handy devices in some situations.
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
Old August 20th, 2007, 08:00 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.asia
James Silverton[_2_]

me wrote on Mon, 20 Aug 2007 11:52:51 -0700:

m On Aug 20, 2:47 pm, "James Silverton"
m wrote:
m [snip]
?? Another thing to consider is the weight of your suitcase.
?? I discovered this when one airline started rigorously
?? applying a 50lb weight limit and I had to take things out
?? and carry them on. I weighed the suitcase when I got home
?? and it was 20lb: *empty*! I now have one the same size
that
?? weighs 10lb.

m Yup. Had to give up my beloved hard side. Thing weighed
m 17 lbs empty. Switched to one of those "crushable" sided
m cases. It was about half as heavy. My toothpaste however
m ruptured under the crushing weight of something though.

I have learned thro' sad experience that tubes of liquids or
pastes in checked soft luggage should be put in sealed plastic
bags as well!

Old August 20th, 2007, 08:11 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.travel.asia
William Black

"me" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Aug 20, 2:47 pm, "James Silverton"
wrote:
[snip]
Another thing to consider is the weight of your suitcase. I
discovered this when one airline started rigorously applying a
50lb weight limit and I had to take things out and carry them
on. I weighed the suitcase when I got home and it was 20lb:
*empty*! I now have one the same size that weighs 10lb.

Yup. Had to give up my beloved hard side. Thing weighed
17 lbs empty. Switched to one of those "crushable" sided
cases. It was about half as heavy. My toothpaste however
ruptured under the crushing weight of something though.

Try Europe and Asia.

Weight limit is now about 44lb (20Kg) on most flights.

Carry-on limit is about 14lb, and they're starting weighing them...

--
William Black

Time for tea.