Farangs describe the Disaster to BBC

Old December 26th, 2004, 05:18 PM
Yamamoto

"Chabon" wrote in message
| On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 23:46:16 +1100, Fred Nurk
| wrote:
|
| Viviane wrote:
| Dear chabon (I think Mr or Ms ****stain sounds a little disrespectful)
|
| Not at all. Its chabon_a_****stain bein disrespectful ta chabon
| who is a disrespectful little feller anyway. Actually hes more a
| nasty little type. Chabon tha newsposter is a nicer type than
| chabon tha nothin! ;-)
|
| fnurk
|
| Did she ask you, you little Irish Jerk?

Chabby,

Can't you see what a moron our sad lying ****bag is?

On a tragic moment like this, where the death toll is already over 4,500
human lifes in this time where everybody is/was thinking of a peaceful
Christmas and a happy newyear, the only thing that Freddie Kruger knows to
write is his stupid private war.

What a sad lonely life he must have?

Maybe Tim should think again about his posting on Christmas and lok at what
a miserable figure SCT has took in.

Let's hope that all SCT'rs (specaily khun Maxwell in Phuket) are save, and
the dead toll will stop count at what it is now.

Peace,

Carlos

Old December 26th, 2004, 05:24 PM
Markku Grönroos

"Alfred Molon" kirjoitti viestissä
Here in Teluk Intan (150 km north of KL) the earthquake was barely
noticed. I woke up at 9am and my wife told me of an earthquake which had
been felt this morning. It was only one hour ago (in the evening) when I
checked the news in the Internet that I heard of the tsunami. I called
my parents and the first thing my mom said was 'oh, you are still
alive'.

Tectonic plates around Sumatra are prone for twisting and bending. The
Krakatau blow killed tens of thousands.

Old December 26th, 2004, 09:28 PM
Alfred Molon

--

Alfred Molon

http://www.molon.de/Galleries.htm - Photos from Myanmar, Brunei,
Malaysia, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Nepal, Egypt, Germany, Austria,
Prague, Budapest and Portugal
Old December 26th, 2004, 10:17 PM

Oh sure, we should have a warning system.

We should prevent anymore of this tremor attack that caused hundreds or
thousands of lives.

We should set up many counter-tremor measures.

We should start a 'war against tremor'!

Travel warning should be issued that earthquake and tsunami could
happen in all places that are suspected targets of these tremor
attacks.

And all people should deter all non essential travels as long this
threat of tremor attacks still exist (which would be forever).

Foreign investors shouldn't invest on these places as long these places
are still unstable because of these tremor attacks (which would be
forever)

We should prevent mother Earth for launching these tremor attacks
again, must stop mother Earth of 'striving' against humans.

Such organization like the Tremor Safety Agency should be set up.

All earthquakes must be checked and rechecked before they are allowed
to start shaking, tsunamis also should be under close insections before
they can travel around the world.

People with earthquake generating devices should also be closely
watched, the same goes for people with 20 megatons nuclear bombs (since
most of the damage on the surface of the Earth are caused by the
shockwaves).

And so on.

Oh well... You get the idea, I hope that this event will teach people
on some things.

Though 'they' probably will decided to release the sequel of "Krakatoa
: The Day the World Exploded: August 27, 1883", which probably titled
something like "Fault Lines: December 26, 2004: The Day the World
Shaked".

Anyway. Tsunami travel fast. How fast? Very fast!

By the time the expert has deduced what has just happened, issued a
warning, and then the local authority announced the warning, the
tsunami already totalled the place.

And in comparison of the pacific type tsunami, the time to travel from
the epicenter to the shore is very short in the area between India and
Indonesia. Even those who work in the warning system of the pacific
type tsunami mentioned that even if they managed to issue a warning,
there's no guarrante that it will be announced just in time. There's
also the matter of evacuating thousands of people.

In short, a warning system in that part of the area is worthless,
that's probably the reason on why it was never implemented in the first
place. Though I'm sure that after this, such useless system will be
implemented.

How to prevent this sort of thing of ever happening again?

Don't live on the shore!

Live far from the shore. Either kilometers away out into the sea or
kilometers away inland.

Old December 26th, 2004, 10:28 PM
JosephP

USGS: Warnings Could Have Saved Thousands in Asia
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...&e=3&u=/nm/200
41226/us_nm/quake_usa_warnings_dc_4

ever hear of the internet, radio, tv, or mobile phone SMS messages

oups.com...

Old December 27th, 2004, 06:17 AM
Yamamoto

"JosephP" wrote in message
news
Joseph,

I don't take any sides on the fact that a warning system could have saved
(many) lives or not, but I want simply to add some points ino this
discussion.

1. Many people have died on the roads in Phuket after the first tidal wave
when they tried to escape to higher places. Giving a warning that a
dangerous situation is going to happen without the proper coordination can
cause more harm that good.

2. I was barely a month ago in Phuket, Phi-Phi Island's and Krabi.
Nobody can protect himself for a tidal wave like the one occured
yesterday, with waves reaching 5 meter in height and a tremendeous force as
I have watched today in the news.

For instance, take the case of Phi-Phi Island. An island, barely a few miles
of superficy, and almost flat with almost no roads to the higher places.
Only if people had a shelter to hide into, they were able to protect
themselves from the disaster. But most people sleep in their boat or tuk-tuk
as they cannot afford more, and Thailand has no shelters to protect them
from such disasters. In Thaivisa.com people describes how the sea was taking
their children out of their arms.

The time between the Earthquake and the tidal moves was too short to start
evacuate all this humans.

Putting-up a system to prevent from such disasters without setting-up at the
same time shelters and other protection systems, is like "putting the
chickens in a fox hole to shelter".

My deepest sincere feelings goes in the first place to all the people who
lost his live in this disaster and the people who lost their only meaning if
life.

Regards,

Carlos