first class passes and flexipasses

Old September 13th, 2008, 05:14 AM posted to alt.travel.eurail,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.rail
Hackamore

Default first class passes and flexipasses

A Eurail pass for thirty days seems to cost 810 euros. One way ride
between Hamburg and Munich costs 122 euros.......

and that appears to be an unlimited pass.

and if you were only traveling in germany you could just get a germany
only pass.

there's a SLIGHTLY cheaper 10 day pass

and the 5 day flexipass seems to be gone.
(the 5 day pass was the one I used on a few trips)

--

== Hackamore ==

http://www.hackamore.com/
http://hackamoretravel.blogspot.com/
Old September 13th, 2008, 06:36 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

less I have had clients insist on the passes, why? Because they are
scared silly of walking into a station and buying a ticket. So I keep

I've talked to people who seem to have the same fear. I'm not
sure what it is.

They have been in Guangzhou railway station:
http://i.usatoday.net/news/_photos/2.../china-top.jpg

airport or even checking in. Certainly the lines are shorter at
the train station.

Old September 13th, 2008, 07:20 AM posted to alt.travel.eurail,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.rail
Markku Grönroos

"Hatunen" kirjoitti
om...

I've talked to people who seem to have the same fear. I'm not
sure what it is. I tell them that almost all the ticket agents in
at least the larger stations speak English, and that they have
been very helpful to me when I have seemed confused. And I point
out that there are enough trains that they are rarely too full to
let you on and anyway there will be another in a half hour or so.

I believe you go all wrong in this. Those non-Europeans who train travel in
Europe extensively are typically hardcore travellers and definitely aren't
afraid of buying train tickets whether in advance through rail company's web
site or at station. Passes are money savers. As I gave this one example on
Germany: a train ride in second class easily costs some 14 euro cents a
kilometre. If we keep this factor fixed, after 6000 km train riding, Eurail
passes start being profitable over single tickets. If a pass is valid in
commuter train legs too then the above mentioned multiplier is probably
significantly higher. Everyone can make these equations and decide whether
any such pass is reasonable or not. For those who have plenty of lengthy
rides, these passes are typically a good investment. For those who don't
mind to economize too much it is about the same.

Old September 13th, 2008, 07:24 AM posted to alt.travel.eurail,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.rail
Markku Grönroos

"Hatunen" kirjoitti
om...

DeutscheBahn shows 122 euros to be the full second class fare for
Hamburg-Munich, but it shows saver fares from 29 euros. Pulling a
date out of the air, 15 October, I see that although the 29 euro
fare is no longer available, 49 and 59 euro fares still are. Like
the airlines, bargain fares tend to disappear as the departure
date nears, but with judicious planning one should be able to
save a bundle on German rail travel compared to Eurail pass

This is excatly where the passes appear in: no need to make travelling
rigid. You go when you want to do so.

Old September 13th, 2008, 07:26 AM posted to alt.travel.eurail,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.rail
Markku Grönroos

"Hatunen" kirjoitti
om...
On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 00:26:46 +0300, Markku Grönroos
wrote:

"Hatunen" kirjoitti
viestissä:s7llc4lprmvmsust7buijhfe9euo3bptaa@4ax .com...
On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 21:25:13 +0300, Markku Grönroos
wrote:

"Hatunen" kirjoitti
viestissä:nm3lc494cep23fpuj9rg4o0v4vmi5mq77v@4 ax.com...

I find that rather surprising. I've tried on several occasions to
justify the cost of adult passes compared to single
point-to-point fares. The only way I've been able to do it is by
using those high fares shown on sites like Eurailpass, and then
only if I plan to spend most of my time on trains.

For instance an interrail pass valid for a month costs 599 euros in the
second class and 809 euros in the first class. Many shipping companies
offer
discounts in European routes. Also one can utilize the pass in commuter
train networks in several countries. At least in the past the pass gave
free
rides in the German S-Bahn networks. All in all I find the product
reasonable. I have made several trips by interrail passes.

I really can't speak to interrail passes. They're not available
to us North American residents so I've never really looked into
them.

A Eurail pass for thirty days seems to cost 810 euros. One way ride
between
Hamburg and Munich costs 122 euros.......

Which begs the question: how often will someone travel between
the likes of Hamburg and Munich?

I don't understand what you are saying here.

Anyway, DeutscheBahn shows the full fare at 122 euros, but a
SaverFare

You are or are not able to buy a ticket at a discounted fare.

Old September 13th, 2008, 07:45 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Gerald Oliver Swift

"Markku Grönroos" wrote in message
.fi...

[...]

But that is precisely the whole point of the argument.

6,000 km in 30 days allows you to either
a) spend all your time on trains and do very little sightseeing or else
b) do the sightseeing, thus spending a lot less time on trains, and then
where is the saving?

Discounted domestic tickets are usually always available in most European
countries.
I honestly cannot see the point of Eurail passes.
As I have stated previously in this group,
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rec...1cc83be9?hl=en
Eurail and Interrail passes are vastly overpriced anyway.

Gerry

Old September 13th, 2008, 08:00 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Markku Grönroos

"Gerald Oliver Swift" kirjoitti

But that is precisely the whole point of the argument.

6,000 km in 30 days allows you to either
a) spend all your time on trains and do very little sightseeing or else
b) do the sightseeing, thus spending a lot less time on trains, and then
where is the saving?

Many train rides are most scenic on their own. I can see you aren't a bit of
an adventurer. For many people sitting on train is something most
therapeutic and nice an experience. If your point of origin is Stockholm,
you spend about 2000 kilometres to get to Northern Germany and back through
Sweden and Denmark. There are nearly 4000 kilometres of railroad tracks
between Stockholm and Lisbon.

Discounted domestic tickets are usually always available in most European
countries.
I honestly cannot see the point of Eurail passes.

There is something wrong in your vision.

As I have stated previously in this group,
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/rec...1cc83be9?hl=en
Eurail and Interrail passes are vastly overpriced anyway.

It seems to be typical in Europe that a train ride costs 14-15 cents a
kilometre. From London to Aberdeen a ticket in second class costs around 150
euros.

Old September 13th, 2008, 08:08 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Gerald Oliver Swift

"Markku Grönroos" wrote in message
.fi...

It seems to be typical in Europe that a train ride costs 14-15 cents a
kilometre. From London to Aberdeen a ticket in second class costs around
150 euros.

http://www.thetrainline.com/Buy_Tick...ptEnabled=True

GBP 18 = 21 Euros

QED

Gerry

Old September 13th, 2008, 04:47 PM posted to alt.travel.eurail,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.rail
Hatunen

On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 09:26:57 +0300, Markku Grönroos
wrote:

"Hatunen" kirjoitti
viestissä:rvolc4db2fih1vh9dmu1b2slmvk3ra2tc4@4ax. com...

Anyway, DeutscheBahn shows the full fare at 122 euros, but a
SaverFare

You are or are not able to buy a ticket at a discounted fare.

That's a non-sequitur.

Old September 13th, 2008, 04:49 PM posted to alt.travel.eurail,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.rail
Hatunen

On Sat, 13 Sep 2008 09:20:31 +0300, Markku Grönroos
wrote:

"Hatunen" kirjoitti
viestissä:mh8mc4pp9ooveu9p722pgmbk0n2m36qijt@4ax. com...

I've talked to people who seem to have the same fear. I'm not
sure what it is. I tell them that almost all the ticket agents in
at least the larger stations speak English, and that they have
been very helpful to me when I have seemed confused. And I point
out that there are enough trains that they are rarely too full to
let you on and anyway there will be another in a half hour or so.

I believe you go all wrong in this. Those non-Europeans who train travel in
Europe extensively are typically hardcore travellers and definitely aren't
afraid of buying train tickets whether in advance through rail company's web
site or at station.

Well, yes. But that has little to do with the post I was
responding to where Joseph Coulter commented:

FWIW I cannot figure out why anyone would disagree with you. Never the
less I have had clients insist on the passes, why? Because they are
scared silly of walking into a station and buying a ticket. So I keep
telling my clients, I can make a commission on this but you don't need
it . . .