French Attitude

Old October 15th, 2008, 12:58 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Hatunen

Default French Attitude

On Tue, 14 Oct 2008 08:59:30 -0700, yieeedyaiegssse
om wrote:

James Silverton wrote:

yod-yog+ais wrote on Sat, 11 Oct 2008 19:16:27 -0700:

I wonder if Budweiser is anything the "small beer" that
medievals used to drink and which was marginally safer than
water?

No, it isn't.

Your opinion would be more useful if I could tell which question you are
answering :-) Small or safe or both?

You only asked one question: is Budweiser (I assume you mean the
standard lager product produced by Anheuser-Busch) anything like the
"small beer" of bygone days. This small beer is something that had
several attributes, among which is that people used to drink it, and
it was marginally safer than water. Actually, all beer - regular or
"small" - was significantly safer than water in the urbanized areas back
in those not-so-good old days.

I have seen it authoritatively said that the American Founding
Fathers were always in a somewhat inebriated state.

Old October 15th, 2008, 09:44 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
yieeedyaiegssse

om wrote:

[...] Actually, all beer - regular or
"small" - was significantly safer than water in the urbanized areas back
in those not-so-good old days.

I have seen it authoritatively said that the American Founding
Fathers were always in a somewhat inebriated state.

I've seen it similar said that nearly everyone was at least mildly
inebriated back in those olden days. Even children were likely to
drink a low-alcohol "small" or "table" beer rather than potentially
spoiled milk or fruit juices, contaminated water, or expensive wine.
Old October 17th, 2008, 06:27 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada
Hackamore

Particularly since nowadays the water is safer than US beer. . .

Not really. US beer is pretty safe as far as that kind of thing goes.
The mass-produced brands may have a reputation for being bland, gassy,
and mediocre, but they aren't particularly dangerous. The specialty
"craft-brewed" beers are generally quite good.

The most likely place to get "unsafe" beer is the same place that's
been in the news recently about its dairy products.

Hi,

US water just like western European water is generally speaking safe to
drink... some tastes bad... I don't like the chlorine smell/taste... and
some people think fluoride is horrible.

and mass market US beer is about like sex in a canoe...

Boston Brewing Company is a "pretty big little brewery" that puts out
good beer and has wide distribution... I'll admit to being a stockholder :-}

brew-pubs are almost common.

here (north edge of the Mississippi Delta) I either go to the local
brew-pub where I'll get their absolutely delicious porter this time of
year...

or a local free house with an impressive domestic microbrew selection
(and import draft) ... they even have draft root beer... there I've been
getting a domestic draft hefeweizen... but with the cool weather I'll be
switching to a porter or stout there too.

where I'd like to find good domestic beer is France...

--

== Hackamore ==

http://www.hackamore.com/
http://hackamoretravel.blogspot.com/

Old October 17th, 2008, 06:21 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada
Mike O'Sullivan

Hackamore wrote:

where I'd like to find good domestic beer is France...

No problem in Amsterdam eh Frank?
Have you frequented 't Arendsnest, with 200 beers?

http://www.arendsnest.nl/

Old October 17th, 2008, 08:16 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mike O'Sullivan

om wrote:

[...] Actually, all beer - regular or
"small" - was significantly safer than water in the urbanized areas back
in those not-so-good old days.

I have seen it authoritatively said that the American Founding
Fathers were always in a somewhat inebriated state.

I've seen it similar said that nearly everyone was at least mildly
inebriated back in those olden days. Even children were likely to
drink a low-alcohol "small" or "table" beer rather than potentially
spoiled milk or fruit juices, contaminated water, or expensive wine.

I've heard it said, rightly or not, that present-day beer is so weak
that some of it could have been legally sold in the US, during prohibition.
Old October 17th, 2008, 08:28 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Hatunen

On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 20:16:49 +0100, Mike O'Sullivan
wrote:

om wrote:

[...] Actually, all beer - regular or
"small" - was significantly safer than water in the urbanized areas back
in those not-so-good old days.

I have seen it authoritatively said that the American Founding
Fathers were always in a somewhat inebriated state.

I've seen it similar said that nearly everyone was at least mildly
inebriated back in those olden days. Even children were likely to
drink a low-alcohol "small" or "table" beer rather than potentially
spoiled milk or fruit juices, contaminated water, or expensive wine.

I've heard it said, rightly or not, that present-day beer is so weak
that some of it could have been legally sold in the US, during prohibition.

What you heard was wrong.

Old October 17th, 2008, 09:12 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada
Gregory Morrow[_73_]

Runge13 blabbles:

Well you didn't look hard enough

"Bier '33' "

--
Best
Greg

Old October 17th, 2008, 09:23 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
erilar

wrote:

om wrote:

[...] Actually, all beer - regular or
"small" - was significantly safer than water in the urbanized areas back
in those not-so-good old days.

I have seen it authoritatively said that the American Founding
Fathers were always in a somewhat inebriated state.

I've seen it similar said that nearly everyone was at least mildly
inebriated back in those olden days. Even children were likely to
drink a low-alcohol "small" or "table" beer rather than potentially
spoiled milk or fruit juices, contaminated water, or expensive wine.

I've heard it said, rightly or not, that present-day beer is so weak
that some of it could have been legally sold in the US, during prohibition.

What you heard was wrong.

It probably tastes that way to Europeans. . .

--
Mary Loomer Oliver (aka Erilar)

You can't reason with someone whose first line of argument is
that reason doesn't count. --Isaac Asimov

Erilar's Cave Annex: http://www.chibardun.net/~erilarlo

Old October 17th, 2008, 09:48 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Gregory Morrow[_73_]

Martin wrote:

On Fri, 17 Oct 2008 15:23:09 -0500, erilar

wrote:

wrote:

om wrote:

[...] Actually, all beer - regular or
"small" - was significantly safer than water in the urbanized

areas back
in those not-so-good old days.

I have seen it authoritatively said that the American Founding
Fathers were always in a somewhat inebriated state.

I've seen it similar said that nearly everyone was at least mildly
inebriated back in those olden days. Even children were likely to
drink a low-alcohol "small" or "table" beer rather than potentially
spoiled milk or fruit juices, contaminated water, or expensive wine.

I've heard it said, rightly or not, that present-day beer is so weak
that some of it could have been legally sold in the US, during

prohibition.

What you heard was wrong.

It probably tastes that way to Europeans. . .

Tastes what way?

"water - ish"

--
Best