NASA Houston vs. Kennedy Space Center

Old March 19th, 2007, 12:24 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.arts.disney.parks
Stan Horwitz

Default NASA Houston vs. Kennedy Space Center

In the first week of May, I will be visiting family in San Antonio for a
family event. This will be my first visit to Texas. At the end of May, I
will be in Orlando to attend a work-related conference. I will have a
total of four days of personal time when I am in Orlando.

When I am in Orlando, I intend to spend one day in EPCOT. I have been in
EPCOT and the rest of Disney World numerous times, but not lately. I
want to see Mission Space there.

One day when I am in Orlando, I plan to see that Universal Studios theme
park. I might spend another day at the Magic Kingdom, but I want to play
it by ear. I also want to visit the Kennedy Space Center and Co Co Beach.

When I was invited to San Antonio, I asked my cousin who lives there if
it would be worth staying an extra day so I could drive to Houston to
see the NASA Johnston Space Center. She gave me an emphatic yes. I have
to book reservations for flight and hotel soon, and she suggested I fly
into Houston, rent a car, then drive to San Antonio and leave for home
(Philadelphia area) from there, but I suspect it will be quite a bit
more expensive to book an open jaw ticket like that, plus pay a drop off
fee for the rental car.

I am wondering if it really makes sense to visit the Johnston Space
Center when I expect to visit the Kennedy Space Center three weeks
later. I looked at the Johnston Space Center's web site and it didn't
strike me as being worth driving 200 or so miles from/to San Antonio to
see it, given that I will be at Kennedy Space Center anyway. From what I
heard from other family who did that drive, its incredibly boring. I am
thinking that since I will have no more than four days to spend in Texas
and one of them will be at a big family event, that maybe I am better
off just spending the entire time in San Antonio to see the sites there.

What would you do?
Old March 19th, 2007, 02:34 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.arts.disney.parks
Wilde Oscar

Let's see... two things, Schlitterbahn and Cinco de Mayo. If you have never
been to River Walk for Cinco de Mayo, ya might wanna check that out. And
Schlitterbahn, greatest water park ever, the biggest, the best.

The Drive from SA to Houston is barren and very, very boring. Houston Space
center is kinda cool, it is a site to see, but I would not go that far out
of my way to go see it.

If ya have never hung out in SA, I'd hang out there... the River Walk is
great for 5th of May (and it is a Sat. that much better on the timeing).
See the Alamo, river walk mall, Sea World...

IMHO

Old March 19th, 2007, 03:06 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.arts.disney.parks
Rog'

"Stan Horwitz" wrote:
I am wondering if it really makes sense to visit the Johnston
Space Center when I expect to visit the Kennedy Space
Center three weeks later. What would you do?

Skip Houston.
Go to KSC where the rockets actually go up (usually).
Houston cannot match the old (historic) launch-pads
and the exhibit of a complete Saturn V.

Old March 19th, 2007, 07:50 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.arts.disney.parks
tim.....

"Rog'" wrote in message
"Stan Horwitz" wrote:
I am wondering if it really makes sense to visit the Johnston
Space Center when I expect to visit the Kennedy Space
Center three weeks later. What would you do?

Skip Houston.

I didn't find Houston that exciting.

It's something to do if you are pasing, but not good enough
to make a long trip to see IMHO

tim

Old March 19th, 2007, 09:30 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.arts.disney.parks
Big Kev

Hi team.
Have been to both, and enjoyed each visit.
If you want to see the historical stuff, Houston is the go, just because
then you have then been and seen the original control and the training
centre. Many other exhibits seem the same at both places. Actually, many
exhibits are repeated again at Smithsonian in D.C. I love each of those
places for different reasons, and will not hesitate in re-visiting any when
the opportunity may arise. If you are not planning to drop of the perch
soon, and will have more opportunities, do either, but not both on the same
trip. If you are thinking of rushing it through, you may find that your
shock of one way car rental fees will make the decision for you.

Hope this helps..

Have a great day today, and an even better day tomorrow.
Regards,
BIG KEV - Melbourne Australia

Old March 19th, 2007, 12:42 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.arts.disney.parks
Jennifer K.

I used to live five miles from NASA in Houston, and I also drove to San
Antonio a few times, for Sea World and other tourist attractions.

IMHO, you should skip Houston. That drive is brutal, and I sincerely doubt
you will find that it was "worth it." The San Antonio area has a ton of
great attractions, I would say visit Houston separately, some day. Plenty
to see and do there as well, but my gosh, not worth that drive to "do Texas"
in one trip.

If you are ever in Houston, then yes, NASA is well worth a visit.
Otherwise...I say just enjoy KSC (I've been there, too).

What's ironic is that I now live in Delaware and will fly out of Philly this
Saturday to go to WDW. Just funny that I'm in your area, and yet spent 42
years in TX and know that area so much better.

Oh, but one more thing, if you *are* going to fly into Houston to see NASA,
definitely fly into Houston Hobby, it's quite near NASA, and the big airport
is over an hour from NASA. Hobby is the "Southwest" airport, so your flight
will be cheaper, too.

Jennifer

Old March 19th, 2007, 02:43 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.arts.disney.parks
JN

I know you didn't really ask, but if you only have four days in FL, I
would skip going to cocoa beach. Nothing really exiting there. The space
center is definitely worth going to see.

Old March 19th, 2007, 03:15 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.arts.disney.parks
M.C.Gordon Jr

On Mar 19, 5:30 am, "Big Kev" wrote:
[...]

What would you do?- Hide quoted text -

When you say Original are you talking about Manned Spaceflight? Or are
you talking about the current program?
Manned spaceflight started with the Space Task Group (STG) HQ at
Langley. The medical evaluation and training was at Lovelace Clinic in
Albuquerque NM and Wright Field in Ohio. The program was called the
national manned space-flight project, later named Project Mercury.

Matt

"If the Magic is done right its still Magical even if you know all the
Secrets."
Visit my new home
Delightful Jewelry for Every Occasion.
http://www.delightfuljewelry.com

Old March 20th, 2007, 12:30 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.arts.disney.parks
Stan Horwitz

In article , JN wrote:

I know you didn't really ask, but if you only have four days in FL, I
would skip going to cocoa beach. Nothing really exiting there. The space
center is definitely worth going to see.

Yup, I didn't ask that. For me, it is worth going to.
Old March 20th, 2007, 12:34 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,rec.arts.disney.parks
Stan Horwitz

In article ,
"Wilde Oscar" wrote:

Let's see... two things, Schlitterbahn and Cinco de Mayo. If you have never
been to River Walk for Cinco de Mayo, ya might wanna check that out. And
Schlitterbahn, greatest water park ever, the biggest, the best.

The Drive from SA to Houston is barren and very, very boring. Houston Space
center is kinda cool, it is a site to see, but I would not go that far out
of my way to go see it.

If ya have never hung out in SA, I'd hang out there... the River Walk is
great for 5th of May (and it is a Sat. that much better on the timeing).
See the Alamo, river walk mall, Sea World...

Thanks all. I definitely plan to save Houston for another trip. It
sounds like there's plenty for me to see and do, all in San Antonio.