What are the Benefits of a In-Car GPS Unit?

Old September 3rd, 2008, 09:58 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

Default What are the Benefits of a In-Car GPS Unit?

Car GPS units enable you to navigate your car anywhere in the world…
http://gadgetupdates.googlepages.com/car_gps_devices
Old September 3rd, 2008, 06:10 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Keith Willshaw[_3_]

wrote in message
Car GPS units enable you to navigate your car anywhere in the world…

No **** sherlock and there was I thinking they were for making tea.

Keith

Old September 3rd, 2008, 09:34 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Keith Willshaw[_3_]

"Martin" wrote in message
On Wed, 3 Sep 2008 18:10:16 +0100, "Keith Willshaw"

wrote:

wrote in message
Car GPS units enable you to navigate your car anywhere in the world.

No **** sherlock and there was I thinking they were for making tea.

and leading the gullible into Dutch rivers and canals.
--

Thats what the gullible are for

As with any navigation aid you need to use a degree of common sense
when using a GPS. I have had one try and direct me down what looked
like a goat track leading down the face of a mountain. Thats when
the sensible driver says 'you gotta be kidding' and ignores it.

Keith

Old September 4th, 2008, 03:37 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Bob Fusillo

wrote in message
Car GPS units enable you to navigate your car anywhere in the world…
http://gadgetupdates.googlepages.com/car_gps_devices

Although a gps will sometimes take you a longer route than locals might use,
they are invaluable. I was in Budapest last suimmer, and what with closed
streets and construction,. I would still be there if it wasn't for the GPS.
Oddly, they do odd things at high altitudes ( Scottish and Swiss
mountains) -- although the distance calibrations are accurate, the voice
commands are two tenths of a mile early.

Old September 4th, 2008, 03:59 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
AZ Nomad[_3_]

On Thu, 4 Sep 2008 10:37:20 -0400, Bob Fusillo wrote:

wrote in message
Car GPS units enable you to navigate your car anywhere in the world…
http://gadgetupdates.googlepages.com/car_gps_devices

Although a gps will sometimes take you a longer route than locals might use,
they are invaluable. I was in Budapest last suimmer, and what with closed
streets and construction,. I would still be there if it wasn't for the GPS.
Oddly, they do odd things at high altitudes ( Scottish and Swiss
mountains) -- although the distance calibrations are accurate, the voice
commands are two tenths of a mile early.

I always find them funny when the driver ignores the GPS and takes a different
route. Until the GPS route is long past, the thing will keep giving instructions
like "turn around in 1/2 mile, no? ok, turn around on the next street. no?
turn around at the next intersection". They usually don't switch to the new
route until they've offered helpful advice on places to turn around at least
30 times.
Old September 4th, 2008, 04:16 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
James Silverton[_2_]

AZ wrote on Thu, 04 Sep 2008 09:59:29 -0500:

wrote in message
[...]

Yes that's funny! Mine usually shouts "Make a U-turn as soon as
possible" when I decide to ignore it. However, a GPS is good to have
when you driving in an area you don't know and miss an exit on a highway
if the thing can recalculate quickly enough to direct from the next
exit.

Sometimes, strange things happen if it is set for the shortest route.
Mine tends to take me from my house to main roads by having me make a
right turn, then a left and a right without priority instead of one that
might be 10 yards longer with one 4-way stop. Funnily enough, this does
not happen in the reverse direction!

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Old September 4th, 2008, 05:19 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Mike Lane

On Thu, 4 Sep 2008 15:54:44 +0100, Martin wrote
(in article ):

On Thu, 4 Sep 2008 10:37:20 -0400, "Bob Fusillo"
wrote:

Where we live, there is a route shown by sat navs that leads to a

residential
cul-de-sac. Although the local authority have put up a sign in Dutch warning
truck drivers that they are heading into a trap, for some odd reason non

Dutch
speaking east European truckers ignore the sign. Non experts might wonder why
they don't use
http://www.verkeerenwaterstaat.nl/Im...195-163061.pdf
sign C7

....or they could even contact the mapping companies and point out the
error in their maps. It will be either Navteq or Tele Atlas who have
the duff mapping and they both have systems for reporting errors.

The Welsh have even devised an anti-gps road sign for these kind of
problems. The problem is no one can understand it:
http://tinyurl.com/258wo7

--
Mike Lane (UK North Yorkshire)
To contact me replace invalid with mike underscore lane

Old September 4th, 2008, 06:50 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
grusl[_3_]

wrote:

Where we live, there is a route shown by sat navs that leads to a

residential
cul-de-sac. Although the local authority have put up a sign in Dutch
warning
truck drivers that they are heading into a trap, for some odd reason non

Dutch
speaking east European truckers ignore the sign. Non experts might
wonder why
they don't use
http://www.verkeerenwaterstaat.nl/Im...195-163061.pdf
sign C7

...or they could even contact the mapping companies and point out the
error in their maps. It will be either Navteq or Tele Atlas who have
the duff mapping and they both have systems for reporting errors.

I think they have.

The Welsh have even devised an anti-gps road sign for these kind of
problems. The problem is no one can understand it:
http://tinyurl.com/258wo7

LOL I was expecting it to be in Welsh.

I dunno. Looks OK to me. Drive a stupid truck down our lane and the
Americans will use satellite technology to target you.

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore

Old September 4th, 2008, 06:52 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
grusl[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

Oh, and by the way, didn't you recommend The Ghost, which I subsequently
enjoyed. It had a GPS gone mad scene in it.

Cheers,
George W Russell
Bangalore

Old September 4th, 2008, 08:01 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Runge12

aha martin was getting worried

"Martin" a Ă©crit dans le message de