Venice, Grand Canal question

Old September 6th, 2008, 08:15 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Topaz[_2_]

Default Venice, Grand Canal question

Why do I want to do? Because it is there . . .

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to walk the length of the Grand
Canal, hopping over
a bridge if necessary ?

TIA
Old September 6th, 2008, 08:28 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Pat[_16_]

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to walk the length of the Grand
Canal, hopping over
a bridge if necessary ?

TIA

Maybe you could look at it on Google maps and see if it's possible.

Pat inTX

Old September 6th, 2008, 09:18 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim.....

"Topaz" wrote in message
Why do I want to do? Because it is there . . .

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to walk the length of the Grand
Canal, hopping over
a bridge if necessary ?

It's a long time since I was there, but I am pretty certain that the answer
is no.

tim

Old September 7th, 2008, 11:00 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Surreyman

On 6 Sep, 21:18, "tim....." wrote:
"Topaz" wrote in message

Why do I want to do? *Because it is there . . .

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to walk the length of the Grand
Canal, hopping over
a bridge if necessary ?

It's a long time since I was there, but I am pretty certain that the answer
is no.

tim

No, you definitely cannot.
The nearest attempted route will continually take you 'inland' to the
neartest canal bridge, then back again to the Grand Canal.
That's not to say it wouldn't be an excellent walk anyway!
Plenty of really detailed street maps available in the shops.
The only way to see the Grand Canal in its entirety is to take the
appropriate vapo, from St. Marks to Piazzale Roma, or vice versa (or
take a private boat taxi, of course - at a price!).

Surreyman
Old September 8th, 2008, 05:47 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Dan Stephenson

On 2008-09-06 15:18:54 -0500, "tim....." said:

"Topaz" wrote in message

Why

do I want to do? Because it is there . . .

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to walk the length of the Grand
Canal, hopping over
a bridge if necessary ?

It's a long time since I was there, but I am pretty certain that the
answer is no.

tim

There are long stretches with palaces fronting the canal.

But Venice overall is the best city in Europe for walking around. You
cannot get too long, because you're on an island(s). So there are lots
of other places to walk. Walking Venice at night is especially cool.
--
Dan Stephenson
Photos, movies, panos from the Europe, USA, plus N.Z.:

(remove nospam from email address to reply via email)

Old September 8th, 2008, 02:47 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Michael[_1_]

Surreyman wrote:
On 6 Sep, 21:18, "tim....." wrote:
"Topaz" wrote in message

Why do I want to do? Because it is there . . .
Can anyone tell me if it is possible to walk the length of the Grand
Canal, hopping over
a bridge if necessary ?

It's a long time since I was there, but I am pretty certain that the answer
is no.

tim

No, you definitely cannot.
The nearest attempted route will continually take you 'inland' to the
neartest canal bridge, then back again to the Grand Canal.
That's not to say it wouldn't be an excellent walk anyway!
Plenty of really detailed street maps available in the shops.
The only way to see the Grand Canal in its entirety is to take the
appropriate vapo, from St. Marks to Piazzale Roma, or vice versa (or
take a private boat taxi, of course - at a price!).

Surreyman

The vapo is an excellent way to do this. I think I'd run out of steam
walking the length anyway, even apart from the fact that a lot of the
streets are not on the canal. The private taxis are prohibitively
expensive.

http://www.cannes-or-bust.com/
Old September 8th, 2008, 02:57 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Surreyman

On 8 Sep, 14:47, Michael wrote:
Surreyman wrote:
On 6 Sep, 21:18, "tim....." wrote:
"Topaz" wrote in message

[...]

Mhttp://www.cannes-or-bust.com/- Hide quoted text -

We've walked Roma to Arsenale, more or less along the canal route as
far as possible. It's not so far.

Surreyman
Old September 8th, 2008, 02:58 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Giovanni Drogo

On Sun, 7 Sep 2008, Surreyman wrote:
"Topaz" wrote in message

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to walk the length of the Grand
Canal, hopping over a bridge if necessary ?

No, you definitely cannot.

I confirm. I also support the view of those saying "have a look at
google maps" and "take the vaporetto".

Until recent times there were only 3 bridges over the entire length of
the Canal (one near the station, the historical one at Rialto, and one
at Accademia). I doubt the newer Calatrava bridge is in a part of the
city appealing for sights.

Just for the sake of exercise (and considering nevertheless that many
parts of the Canal do not have "riverside walks") one might try a
walking route nearest to the Canal using not only bridges, but the
"traghetto" (ferry) service. This may occur in two ways. One is to take
the vaporetto from one stop to the nearest one on the other side of the
Canal (there is used to be a discounted fare for this). The other one is
to take a gondola ferry, which used to be extremely cheap ... but the
(fixed) places where this is available are hard to find unless you are a
local.

is a newsreading account used by more persons to
Old September 8th, 2008, 03:23 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Bob Fusillo

"Topaz" wrote in message
Why do I want to do? Because it is there . . .

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to walk the length of the Grand
Canal, hopping over
a bridge if necessary ?

TIA

There are a very few quite short stretches along the canal -- at the train
station ( both sides) and at the Rialto Bridge. The longest ( a good stroll,
starts at the Molo ( by the Piazza) , and goes well toward the end past the
Giardini. There is a canal-side walk ( fondamenta) almost all the length of
the Giudecca, with nice views acrross the Giudecca Canal. There is also
long strollable fondamaenta on the north side, but not much view worth the
effort..Many bridges everywhere-- Venice is over 100 islands.
Or did youi mean the Grand Canal on Murano -- very nice walk all along it,
and around the island a long way as well.
Byron used to swim the canal, and also at least once swam from the Lido to
his house near the Accademia. As said above, the purpose of the canal almost
appears to be to afford lovely views from the lovely homes of corporations.
But it is rotten hot here -- no strolling for me!
rjf

Old September 10th, 2008, 12:37 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Topaz[_2_]

On Sep 8, 4:23*pm, "Bob Fusillo" wrote:
"Topaz" wrote in message

[...]

I'd like to thank all who replied, especially with alternative ideas
(shortest route, staying nearest to Gr. Canal, for example)
I did look at Google Maps/Earth - a good idea - and I found my answer
there.

Ancilliary question:
We are Ryanair'ing to Treviso Airport and will take the ACTV Eurobus
to Venice.
I believe this stops in Mestre.
Is it possible / reasonable to catch a water-bus from there and thus
enter Venice in what all the books say is the best possible way - via
the water ?
Topaz