A European city for 5 days in April

Old October 8th, 2006, 08:38 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.europe,soc.culture.usa
B Vaughan

Default A European city for 5 days in April

On Sun, 08 Oct 2006 11:47:11 +0200, Dave Frightens Me
wrote:

On Sun, 08 Oct 2006 08:13:07 +0200, B wrote:

On Sat, 07 Oct 2006 19:22:18 GMT, "Calif Bill"
wrote:

The Northern Italian food was less tomato based than the Southern food.
Still a lot of olive oil.

I've read otherwise with regard to the olive oil. What is your source?
Risotto, for example, which is a classic northern dish, uses butter,
not olive oil. Polenta is traditionally served with butter and grated
cheese (also mushrooms). Various classic veal dishes use butter.

The butter is frequently substituted with olive oil nowadays. You can
see it in the supermakets where they have 2-3 types of butter and 30
types of olive oil!

I'm sure that's true, just as you also said that pasta is now is very
popular in the north. However, I was talking about the traditional
northern dishes, and I thought Calif Bill was also. Tomatoes, which he
mentions as being "southern" are also very widely used now in the
north.
--
Barbara Vaughan
My email address is my first initial followed by my surname at libero dot it
Old October 11th, 2006, 07:13 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.europe,soc.culture.usa
Ajanta

Default Quranic concept of war/jihad

: : Plus, when did the word "Jihadi" take on a negative meaning?

: I know a few Americans including myself who know the technical or
: dictionary meaning of the word jihad but unfortunately we never have
: seen or heard any Muslims doing something positive and referring to it
: being a jihad...

From "Quranic Concept of War" by [Pakistani] Brigadier SK Malik ,
chapter on strategy:

"Only a strategy that aims at striking terror into the hearts of enemy
from the preparation stage can produce direct results and turn Liddell
Hart's dream into a reality. During peace time our 'will' must find its
expression through 'preparation'. Terror struck into the hearts of the
enemies is not only a means, it is the end in itself. Once a condition
of terror into the opponent's heart is obtained, hardly anything is
left to be achieved. The Quranic military strategy thus enjoins us to
prepare ourselves for war to the utmost in order to strike terror into
the hearts of the enemies, known or hidden, while guarding ourselves
from being terror stricken by the enemy.

"Jihad is a continuous and never-ending struggle waged on all fronts
including political, economic, social, psychological, domestic, moral
and spiritual to attain the object of policy. It aims at attaining the
overall mission assigned to the Islamic state, and military strategy is
one of the means available to do so. It is waged at individual as well
as collective level; and at internal as well as external front."

=