Taking food through security.

Old March 28th, 2007, 07:46 PM posted to rec.travel.air
grusl

Default Taking food through security.

"me" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Mar 28, 8:15 am, hummingbird wrote:

Others do. Should they be horrified that you accept it and
actually eat it while sitting next to them? How is that
different from them bringing a sandwhich from Subway, or
some curried chicken salad? I can't stand the smell of
fish, makes me sick. Should I complain if you
take the fish course? Don't even get me started on the
olfactory effects of asparagas.

See. It's astounding ... all these different tastes and opinions! I like
curries and fish and asparagus. However, I should advocate the banning of
red wine because, well, frankly, in my experience either the person next to
me spills it or I do. I know someone who can't bear to see a salad without
retching (she's Irish but I see no stereotype here).

What's the answer? Ban onboard food altogether if you're really considerate?

Cheers,

George W. Russell
Bangalore

Old March 29th, 2007, 03:55 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Frank F. Matthews

hummingbird wrote:

On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 17:39:52 -0500 'Frank F. Matthews'
posted this onto rec.travel.air:

hummingbird wrote:

On 27 Mar 2007 13:41:26 -0700 'me'
posted this onto rec.travel.air:

On Mar 27, 12:41 pm, hummingbird wrote:

On Mon, 26 Mar 2007 22:27:48 GMT 'Craig Welch'
posted this onto rec.travel.air:

hummingbird wrote:

Indeed but I don't like the idea of putting up with old sandwich
wrappings, breadcrumbs, tomato slices, bits of egg, tune flakes and
mayo dropped about me by a fellow passenger for 13 hours on a long
haul flight.

Clearly you travel with a worse class of passenger than I do.

I doubt it. Many people are messy by nature and in the overtight
confines of airline seats crammed in by other passengers, you have the
makings of a mess. If you doubt me, go check the floor of the cabin
30mins after the sheep have been fed and stuff cleared away.

I've never seen anyone create such a mess, except for infants and their
careless mothers.

True, this group are particularly messy.

Banning infants is of course outside the scope of this discussion,
although it would have my full support.

At least they need to coral kids and their selfish mothers into one
section of the plane to keep the noise away from decent passengers.

What next?
...a fellow passenger decides to bring a take-away curry on board.

Would that be ok for you?

Guilty as charged. Curried chicken salad, mango chutney tort,
I'd have to think hard to figure out all the times I've brought on
curry.
Then there is the times we've brought on various cheeses. We
also had various wraps, chicken wings, salami slices, carrots,
a few spreads.

That's disgusting and very selfish towards other passengers.
Thank God I won't be flying to or in the US again.

They had the same warnings about available foods.

?

And it bothers you even when he says he shares.

Why would I want to share another passengers take-away food on
a plane?

I took the selfish reference to his enjoying while they were deprived.
Did you feel he was selfish because he refused to starve?

Old March 29th, 2007, 03:56 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Frank F. Matthews

grusl wrote:

"me" wrote in message
[...]

Make her put a blanket over her head for the flight so that she cannot
see anything.

Old March 29th, 2007, 11:44 AM posted to rec.travel.air
hummingbird

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 00:16:26 GMT 'Craig Welch'
posted this onto rec.travel.air:

hummingbird wrote:
On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 19:01:27 GMT 'Craig Welch'
posted this onto rec.travel.air:

hummingbird wrote:

You may be a rare model passenger but still you haven't considered the
smell of curry on board which some people might find unpleasant.
What's the difference between eating a take-away curry and a curry
that's served on board?
See above.
So your point is that airlines should not serve curries?

No, but not many flights I've been on serve curry.

Almost every flight on which I travel serves curry.

Is that on India Airlines or PIA?

Have a look at http://tinyurl.com/245dwc for example.

In any case they
can't use much curry in the food so the smell doesn't permeate and
as others are also eating they probably don't notice the smell.

You really shouldn't just make something up when you're trying to argue
from a base of no known fact.

Take away curries are something different - check the smell as you
walk into any curry restaurant.

I can't. I don't go to restaurants that serve takeaway food.

In the UK most curry restaurants also serve take-aways.
Do you mean that you don't go into curry restaurants?

What else should they not serve?

I'll let you know...

I await with interest ...

Old March 29th, 2007, 11:57 AM posted to rec.travel.air
hummingbird

On 28 Mar 2007 12:58:22 -0700 'me'

On Mar 28, 2:46 pm, "grusl" wrote:
"me" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Mar 28, 8:15 am, hummingbird wrote:
Others do. Should they be horrified that you accept it and
actually eat it while sitting next to them? How is that
different from them bringing a sandwhich from Subway, or
some curried chicken salad? I can't stand the smell of
fish, makes me sick. Should I complain if you
take the fish course? Don't even get me started on the
olfactory effects of asparagas.

See. It's astounding ... all these different tastes and opinions! I like
curries and fish and asparagus. However, I should advocate the banning of
red wine because, well, frankly, in my experience either the person next to
me spills it or I do. I know someone who can't bear to see a salad without
retching (she's Irish but I see no stereotype here).

What's the answer?

Tolerance.

Easier said than done...
That some people are unwilling/unable to practice courtesy towards
others and are only interested in *their* rights etc is a fact and has
required many many laws to be introduced in society to draw a line as
to what is acceptable and what isn't. Society is burdened down with
laws simply because so many people are inconsiderate towards others
and have to have the line drawn for them.

What we're really talking about now is where the line should be
drawn on an airplane. Passengers carrying take-away curries on board
is over the line IMVHO. Clearly it isn't to you, hence my secondary
question about how much disruption kids should be allowed to make
or the guy with a ghetto blaster etc.

You have failed to deal with it as I expected.
Old March 29th, 2007, 12:15 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Craig Welch

hummingbird wrote:

You may be a rare model passenger but still you haven't considered the
smell of curry on board which some people might find unpleasant.

What's the difference between eating a take-away curry and a curry
that's served on board?

See above.

So your point is that airlines should not serve curries?

No, but not many flights I've been on serve curry.

Almost every flight on which I travel serves curry.

Is that on India Airlines or PIA?

No.

Have a look at http://tinyurl.com/245dwc for example.

In any case they
can't use much curry in the food so the smell doesn't permeate and
as others are also eating they probably don't notice the smell.

You really shouldn't just make something up when you're trying to argue

from a base of no known fact.

Take away curries are something different - check the smell as you
walk into any curry restaurant.

I can't. I don't go to restaurants that serve takeaway food.

In the UK most curry restaurants also serve take-aways.
Do you mean that you don't go into curry restaurants?

No.

It means that I am not in the UK.

--
Craig
Old March 29th, 2007, 12:17 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Craig Welch

hummingbird wrote:

What we're really talking about now is where the line should be
drawn on an airplane. Passengers carrying take-away curries on board
is over the line IMVHO.

Yet it has been pointed out to you that many airlines serve
curries onboard. You have failed to address this point. Please do so.

--
Craig
Old March 29th, 2007, 01:13 PM posted to rec.travel.air
me[_5_]

On Mar 29, 6:57 am, hummingbird wrote:
On 28 Mar 2007 12:58:22 -0700 'me'
posted this onto rec.travel.air:

On Mar 28, 2:46 pm, "grusl" wrote:
"me" wrote in message
roups.com...
On Mar 28, 8:15 am, hummingbird wrote:
Others do. Should they be horrified that you accept it and
actually eat it while sitting next to them? How is that
different from them bringing a sandwhich from Subway, or
some curried chicken salad? I can't stand the smell of
fish, makes me sick. Should I complain if you
take the fish course? Don't even get me started on the
olfactory effects of asparagas.

See. It's astounding ... all these different tastes and opinions! I like
curries and fish and asparagus. However, I should advocate the banning of
red wine because, well, frankly, in my experience either the person next to
me spills it or I do. I know someone who can't bear to see a salad without
retching (she's Irish but I see no stereotype here).

What's the answer?

Tolerance.

Easier said than done...

Yes, it is, which of course does not make it impossible, especially
on an individual level.

That some people are unwilling/unable to practice courtesy towards
others and are only interested in *their* rights etc is a fact and has
required many many laws to be introduced in society to draw a line as
to what is acceptable and what isn't.

Has inspired them to anyways. Whether or not it is required is
a point for another discussion.

Society is burdened down with
laws simply because so many people are inconsiderate towards others
and have to have the line drawn for them.

They are burdened because folks felt the need to pass such
laws. Whether they are required is a point not yet established.

What we're really talking about now is where the line should be
drawn on an airplane.

Yes, it is.

Passengers carrying take-away curries on board
is over the line IMVHO. Clearly it isn't to you,

You've outlined the topic quite well. What you haven't
particularly done well is defend your point of view. Points
of view are easy to have, defending them actually requires
a bit of effort.

hence my secondary
question about how much disruption kids should be allowed to make
or the guy with a ghetto blaster etc.

Actually, this is generally known as "changing the subject".
Let's stick to food. I've established what I find acceptable
and the basis why. Basically it boils down to "nothing that
particularly departs from what is already served other than
quality and quantity". You've yet to explain why you make
a distinction between home prepared and FA prepared.

You have failed to deal with it as I expected

Do you want to discuss food or children?

Old March 29th, 2007, 05:29 PM posted to rec.travel.air
hummingbird

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 00:29:03 GMT 'Craig Welch'
posted this onto rec.travel.air:

hummingbird wrote:

Firstly, I don't find airline food too bad overall.

That depends on the airline of course.

On some international carriers (Singapore, British, Cathay) it's quite
decent. On most domestic carriers it's beneath contempt.

I'm sure that different airlines have good/bad days with food but
I cannot recall a flight where the food has been poor. Then again
I haven't flown internally in many countries, only between countries
and internal flights on LAN Chile may serve awful food - I dunno.
I have flown with Air France/Varig (now defunct) many times and
the food has always been excellent - not so some passengers!

On an internal flight in Thailand last year, the food was excellent.

Secondly, I see a difference between what airlines serve and (say) an
Indian take-away curry. Not least that the take-away will usually
be eaten when others are not eating, so the smell will permeate the
cabin.

Why does a smell that emanates when others are not eating permeate more
than a smell that emanates when others are eating.

I didn't say that.

Why have you not taken into consideration that on domestic flights the
food is put into the warmers (and thus starts to smell) as soon as the
flight departs?

Quite likely but what's that got to do with the price of fish?

Why have you not taken into consideration that on some international
flights, food that is actually *cooked* is started soon after the flight
departs?

ditto.

What other differences are there between a curry served on an airline
(which *is* a takeaway meal) and that served in a takeaway food shop?

It's to do with timing and proximity.

Sitting next to someone who is stuffing him/herself with a personal
take-away curry is likely to create more smell than the FAs heating
up a mild curry for everybody. Proximity/closed ovens and all that...

When the eater has had his/her fill what will he do with the
leftovers and rubbish? Stuff it in the seat-back?

Asked and answered in previous posts. Put in the bag in which it came,
and delivered to a stewardess at rubbish pick-up time.

If the FA can be eyeballed. Otherwise it gets stuffed into the
seat-back for later or dropped on the floor/under the seat.
For sure the passenger will not hold the garbage in his/her hands.

And it bothers you even when he says he shares.
Why would I want to share another passengers take-away food on
a plane?
'Cause it's good of course. Da wife is a pretty good cook and
people could see (and smell) that. We usually ultimately leave
some "left overs" with the flight staff.

How delightful!

I wonder if those who advocate taking their own curries etc on board
also accept that smokers should be allowed to exercise their right to
smoke on board?

Straw man. Eating is allowed on aeroplanes, smoking is not.

It's not a straw man at all.

Smoking was banned on airplanes for a variety of reasons, one of which
was the annoyance it causes to other passengers. Other things are
banned on airplanes for the same reason(s). In Hong Kong you are not
permitted to eat/drink on the metro or Airport Express or to smoke
in many outdoor public places/parks for the same reason.

You seem not to understood my other comments that in society we are
buried with laws and regulations, many of them are precisely because
a large minority of people cannot be trusted to conduct themselves in
a way which does not cause annoyance or aggravation to other people.

You can see the results on the roads, on the metro, shops, bars, clubs
and everywhere else. Some people are selfish ignorant slobs who treat
others with utter contempt and only care about *what they want to do*.

When smoking was allowed on aeroplanes, and cigars and cigarettes were
actually given to passengers in the first class cabins, would your
argument have been "it's OK to accept airline cigarettes, but not to get
out the papers and baccy and roll your own"?

No.

Side note: this reminds me of the last time I had a decent cigar on an
aeroplane. It was on Garuda, and the airline offered same after each
major meal.

Fine.

While we're at it, how about the kids exercising their
right to play football in the cabin? or maybe a game of cops/robbers?
How about the guy with a ghetto blaster?

There are no such rights ... the airlines don't allow such activities.

People often claim a right to do the things they want to do.
That airlines do not allow it is exactly explained above.

The airlines *do* allow you to eat your own food.

At the moment. That does not make it a correct position to hold.

Are you unable to judge for yourself what is right/wrong or good/bad
without someone else telling you? Do we have to live in a society
where we all have to be told what to do because we are incapable of
judging the issue ourselves or some people refuse to respect others?

Q, Where is the line to be drawn between the right of one passenger
to do what he wishes on a flight and the right of those who wish to
travel in reasonable peace and quiet without being assaulted by foul
smells???

In another post you spoke of people's poor upbringing.

Indeed I did. It is at the root of many many social troubles in the
West today - US/UK etc etc.

What sort of an upbringing have you had that you regard a curry, a
normal everyday meal, as producing a 'foul smell'? Perhaps you should
travel a little more.

I've had a reasonable upbringing thanks and have learnt much.

If you cannot comprehend that curry has a strong aroma and that
some people find it unpleasant in an enclosed environment, then I'm
sorry for you. But I don't see what that has to do with travelling.