How many days in Rome?

Old April 30th, 2007, 05:45 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.italian
Mike Hunt

Default How many days in Rome?

Iceman wrote:

On Apr 29, 2:30 am, RPS wrote:

I realize it is a vague kind of question, but I know nothing about Rome
and need to decide, for how many days to break journey there. So any
guidance is appreciated.

Allowing one day for jet-lag and to orient ourselves, how many days at
minimum are needed to get see Rome?

3 - as an absolute minimum, one day for St. Peter's and the Vatican
Museums, one for the ancient sites, and one for the Baroque sites.

Well, if it ain't Baroque, don't fix it.
Old April 30th, 2007, 06:11 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.italian
Mike Hunt

Deeply Filled Mortician wrote:

Make credence recognised that on Sun, 29 Apr 2007 16:55:21 -0500, RPS
has scripted:

Deeply Filled Mortician
wrote:

: When are you going? Walking around Rome mid-summer is pretty hellish.

Early September. It will be a stop en route to something else, so I'll
have no control over timing other than trying squeezing out an extra
day or two.

I think Sep should be tolerable, but whatever it is we'd have to deal
with that.

It will still be hot for sure. I would make sure you have air-con in
your hotel room. A good nights sleeps makes a hot day all the more
tolerable.

The average high for August is 83, which isn't too bad.
Isn't this what gelato is for?

Old April 30th, 2007, 06:16 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.italian
Mike Hunt

Calif Bill wrote:

"RPS" wrote in message

I realize it is a vague kind of question, but I know nothing about Rome
and need to decide, for how many days to break journey there. So any
guidance is appreciated.

Allowing one day for jet-lag and to orient ourselves, how many days at
minimum are needed to get see Rome?

4 days if that is the only time you will be there on the trip. If flying
into and out of Rome, then 3 at the start and 1 full day at the end. the
2nd option is a preferred one. As you may learn of something you would have
liked to see and missed in the first visit.

Of course, you have to add some time for the side trip to Florence.
Old April 30th, 2007, 06:19 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.italian
Mike Hunt

Shawn Hirn wrote:

In article , RPS
wrote:

I realize it is a vague kind of question, but I know nothing about Rome
and need to decide, for how many days to break journey there. So any
guidance is appreciated.

Allowing one day for jet-lag and to orient ourselves, how many days at
minimum are needed to get see Rome?

Definitely a vague question. How many days you need depends on what you
want to see. You could easily spend a year in Rome and not see all that
it has to offer. I suggest you get a good travel guidebook to see what
the options are. Rick Steves has a book that would interest you because
he gives ideals for people who have only a certain number of days to
spend in Rome.

Yes, Rick Steves has a book about it. However, there are better books.
Steves is a bit overrated, and take his advice with a grain of salt.
Old May 1st, 2007, 12:24 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.italian,soc.culture.usa
Newbie

:
: Allowing one day for jet-lag and to orient ourselves, how many days at
: minimum are needed to get see Rome?

How does ZERO sound? I am avoiding that part of the world at that time
due to serious terror threat. Chances are that something *will* happen
in Iran, Iraq, etc and major European cities *will* be most vulnerable
targets.
Old May 1st, 2007, 02:21 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.italian,soc.culture.usa
Calif Bill

"Newbie" wrote in message
RPS wrote:

: I realize it is a vague kind of question, but I know nothing about Rome
: and need to decide, for how many days to break journey there. So any
: guidance is appreciated.
:
: Allowing one day for jet-lag and to orient ourselves, how many days at
: minimum are needed to get see Rome?

How does ZERO sound? I am avoiding that part of the world at that time
due to serious terror threat. Chances are that something *will* happen
in Iran, Iraq, etc and major European cities *will* be most vulnerable
targets.

So, you avoid all dangers?

Old May 1st, 2007, 02:34 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.italian,soc.culture.usa
Newbie

Calif Bill wrote:

: So, you avoid all dangers?

No, but I do take them into consideration. With so many options in the
world, there is no reason not to.

I believe that with the prospect of Iraq getting worse, plus US attack
on Iran, terror attacks in major European cities are serious concern.
Americans should be doubly concerned.

YMMV, and all that.
Old May 1st, 2007, 03:50 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.italian,soc.culture.usa
Mike Hunt

Newbie wrote:

Calif Bill wrote:

: So, you avoid all dangers?

No, but I do take them into consideration. With so many options in the
world, there is no reason not to.

I believe that with the prospect of Iraq getting worse, plus US attack
on Iran, terror attacks in major European cities are serious concern.
Americans should be doubly concerned.

YMMV, and all that.

Your kidding, right?
Rome is dangerous for US citizens??? Perhaps, but not as dangerous as
New York, LA, or Chicago.
Old May 1st, 2007, 04:03 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.italian,soc.culture.usa
Newbie

Mike Hunt postmaster@localhost wrote:

: Your kidding, right?

No, the joke seems to be all yours if you are pretending that *if*
there were to be terror attacks, American would not face special risk.
Old May 1st, 2007, 04:17 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.italian,soc.culture.usa
Mike Hunt

Newbie wrote:

Mike Hunt postmaster@localhost wrote:

: Your kidding, right?

No, the joke seems to be all yours if you are pretending that *if*
there were to be terror attacks, American would not face special risk.

So, if I wanted to visit Spain, and there were ETA terrorist attacks,
Americans would be more in danger, because they are Americans?

Keeping Rome in mind, when was the last terrorist attack where Americans
were targeted?