delayed by TSA

Old January 16th, 2008, 07:02 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Jim Davis[_1_]

Default delayed by TSA again

"JA_MORAN" wrote in message
.. .
I am not one who takes kindly or believes in the "zero tolerance" phrase

If that thinking were in place when I was in elementary or high school,
who knows where I'd be or how many times my parent's would have been
called. At that time "be reasonable and be fair" was how people thought.

I have always been and will always be one who asks WHY, HOW COME, saying
do it because someone said do will never be good enough for me.

The world needs people to look at things critically and say when things
are NOT RIGHT or make suggestions on what can be improved.

If I complain, I will say I don't like because.. not just I don't like

WOW - What a rebel!
So with all the problems in this world, you chose to save us all from the
Shoe Nazis. A just cause. Long live the King.

Old January 16th, 2008, 08:54 PM posted to rec.travel.air
irwell

Default delayed by TSA

On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 14:18:37 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

On Jan 15, 12:32*pm, JA_MORAN wrote:
I think there should be a more user friendly security system, once where
footware can be screened while on one's feet.

JOHN

Removing your shoes has been a TSA requirement since the great 3oz
liquid scare (it was only "recommended" before that rule change). I
do not think it is mandatory anywhere else in the world.

Wasn't it after that British passenger tried to light
his shoes on a flight?
Also something to do with the gel inserts being
like some explosives in consistency.
Old January 17th, 2008, 12:38 AM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected]

On Jan 16, 12:54*pm, irwell wrote:
* Wasn't it after that British passenger tried to light
his shoes on a flight?

Richard Reid?

Also something to do with the gel inserts being
like some explosives in consistency.

No. Obviously you have not actually read the TSA web site. As I
said, it used to be "recommended" but not required until about 1.5
years ago. There was some secret criterion, unevenly enforced, for
distinguishing between the shoes that would or would not trigger
additional scrutiny. Before they changed the rule, I used to keep my
shoes on; when challenged by the TSA, I could show them a print out of
their web site and assert that I was in compliance with their rules.
I might have had to endure secondary screening, but I could keep my
shoes on. They would go through the act of testing my shoes by wiping
them with a chemical swab. Since the rule was changed, I have had to
adopt a different procedure to protect myself from their filth.
Old January 17th, 2008, 02:15 AM posted to rec.travel.air
DevilsPGD

In message JA_MORAN
wrote:

lets not forget phones, My new cell phone is flat enough to fit in a
shoe under the arch of my foot...

Why would you want to sneak a cell phone through security?
Old January 17th, 2008, 03:15 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Shawn Hirn

In article ,
"William Black" wrote:

"tim (not at home)" wrote in message

Perhaps we should, but ISTM that checking shoes is one of the few
worthwhile changes that security have added. It's easy to hide things in
shoes, especially ones with metal supports in.

Any proof of that?

Sure. Just ask the Shoe Bomber who tried to smuggle plastic explosives
on a flight after 9/11 who fortunately got caught. Take a look at the
heal of a shoe sometimes; they are usually hollow.
Old January 17th, 2008, 03:19 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Shawn Hirn

In article
,
"Bill Burk" wrote:

The one I've liked best to date (and I think TSA is a joke) ... is a
crippled friend of mine who wears leg braces and walks with
hollowed-aluminum crutches.

They made her take off her SHOES ... but never checked the crutches. Being
hollowed out like that, she could have packed them with all kinds of
explosives.

I have a friend who is in a similar situation. We flew to LAS from PHL
last year and he went through the same shoe search everyone else did.
The idiot TSA folks wouldn't give him a chair so he could sit down and
remove his shoes (which is a necessity for this person), so I grabbed
one from nearby for him. I don't mind the TSA doing their job, but they
can be polite about it. My friend was not at all belligerent and letting
him sit so he could take off his shoes is hardly a threat to security.
Old January 17th, 2008, 03:20 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Shawn Hirn

Default delayed by TSA and Best govt money can buy

In article ,
JA_MORAN wrote:

I'd like to take the 535 members of the US Congress (elected Senators
and Represenatives) and make them go through TSA airport security every
day and have to take off their shoes, empty their pockets etc.

Psst. When those congress critters fly on commercial aircraft, they go
through the same search process that everyone else does.
Old January 17th, 2008, 03:27 AM posted to rec.travel.air
irwell

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 16:38:40 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

[...]

For some reason I used to get the Full Monty treatment
even though I passed through the gate without any
alarms. That phase has passed since the blanket take
your shoes off routine.
Old January 17th, 2008, 06:48 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Mr. Travel

DevilsPGD wrote:

In message "William Black"
wrote:

"tim (not at home)" wrote in message

Perhaps we should, but ISTM that checking shoes is one of the few
worthwhile changes that security have added. It's easy to hide things in
shoes, especially ones with metal supports in.

Any proof of that?

Ever looked at a shoe? Anything long and flat (razor blades, etc) would
fit easily under the insole of nearly any enclosed-foot shoe.

I can put a razor blade elsewhere in my clothing.

Old January 17th, 2008, 06:49 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Mr. Travel

tim (not at home) wrote:

"me" wrote in message
On Jan 15, 4:23 pm, "tim \(not at home\)"
wrote:

"JA_MORAN" wrote in message

[snip]

I think there should be a more user friendly security system, once where
footware can be screened while on one's feet.

Perhaps we should, but ISTM that checking shoes is one of the few
worthwhile
changes that security have added. It's easy to hide things in shoes,
especially ones with metal supports in.

Hide "things" such as what?

a knife

If it is metal, the metal detector should find it.
If the metal detector can't find it, why bother putting in your shoe?
Just put it in your pants.