Sleeping on long flights - What's the secret?

Old November 22nd, 2004, 09:23 PM
nobody

Cyrus Afzali wrote:
More genius responses. How the hell can you argue that 6-1/2 hours
isn't enough time to sleep?

First 2 hours are "busy" with a meal and lights on.
Last 2.5 or 3 hours are busy with announcements, breakfast etc. Doesn't leave
much room for real sleep.

Now, if an airline catered only to seasoned travellers, they'd have the
evening meal done within 30 minutes of takeoff, and wake people up only 1.5
hour before landing for breakfast and close the lights in between.

Unfortunatly, many airlines don't bother closing lights and running a flight
as a nightime flight on trans atrantic routes because so many passengers are
not seasoned that they feel some obligation to keep them entertained
throughout the flight.
Old November 22nd, 2004, 10:55 PM
PTravel

"Mike" wrote in message
On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 10:50:33 -0800, "PTravel"
wrote:

---snip---
1. Business class. Seriously.

You *can't* be serious. Who can afford business class?

There are a number of ways to get into business class -- it can be done

as
an upgrade using miles, or as an award ticket. Also, the cost of

business
class has dropped to the point where it's only a little more than

full-fare
coach.

---snip---

I fly Delta over the pond several times a year. Often an advance
purchase business class fare is actually cheaper than a full fare
coach ticket. The company I work for only pays for coach tickets.
Often times we have no Saturday night stay (leave Sunday afternoon and
return on Thurs), so we have to purchase a full fare coach ticket. I
went into the boss' office and told him I could save him $150 on
airfare if he would be willing to pay for the extra hotel night. He
said sure since the hotel was around $100/night. It worked great. I
got a day of sightseeing, business class, and the conpany saved about
$50. Of course, the boss was a little surprised when I told him that
he would need to OK me flying paid business which is not normally
done...

However, for the leisure traveller, it is not a fair comparison since
most leisure travellers would likely compare discount coach with
discount business, and find a big difference in the fares.

I agree, but the OP wasn't clear about why he was travelling. My point was
that there are a lot of ways to "finagle" business class -- you've provided
another creative illustration.

Old November 22nd, 2004, 11:05 PM
Keith Willshaw

"Mike" wrote in message

I fly Delta over the pond several times a year. Often an advance
purchase business class fare is actually cheaper than a full fare
coach ticket. The company I work for only pays for coach tickets.
Often times we have no Saturday night stay (leave Sunday afternoon and
return on Thurs), so we have to purchase a full fare coach ticket. I
went into the boss' office and told him I could save him $150 on
airfare if he would be willing to pay for the extra hotel night. He
said sure since the hotel was around $100/night. It worked great. I
got a day of sightseeing, business class, and the conpany saved about
$50. Of course, the boss was a little surprised when I told him that
he would need to OK me flying paid business which is not normally
done...

I've had the exact opposite, a boss who insisted I fly
in economy even though it was more expensive than
the cut price business class flight I found.

Some people just lose sight of the ball I guess.

Keith

Old November 22nd, 2004, 11:45 PM
nobody

Cyrus Afzali wrote:
Depends entirely on the airline and the route. You can easily do 6
hours transcon in the U.S.

Last I heard, this was not a transatlatic flight.

don't even think I got that on a red-eye from Maui to L.A.

Last I heard, this was not a transatlantic flight.

I had qualified by statements to transatlantic between east coast USA.

Old November 22nd, 2004, 11:46 PM
Geoff Glave

I'm going on some long flights soon, and would
really like to do some sleeping during the flights.

- If you're a coffee drinker go cold turkey on caffeine for 48 hours
before the flight. No coffee, no coke, no diet coke, no chocolate -
No caffeine

- Get some good ear plugs and follow the instructions on their use -
Don't just jam them in your ears, insert them properly.

- Get a sleep mask. I prefer the ones that are the soft cloth.

- Get a window seat, you can rest your head against the wall.

- Wash a couple of these down with a glass of scotch:
http://www.nytol.com/ Do this AFTER you've driven to the airport,
checked in and gone through security, but as soon after that as you
can

- Try to get some vigourous exercise (i.e. raised heart rate for 45
mins) the morning of the flight.

Even with all that I still don't sleep too well, but I'm a very light
sleeper and it helps!

Cheers,
Geoff Glave
6'3, 240lbs
Old November 23rd, 2004, 01:10 AM
Jeff Hacker

"Cyrus Afzali" wrote in message
On Mon, 22 Nov 2004 06:46:28 -0500, nobody wrote:

"C. Osbourne" wrote:
I'm going on some long flights soon, and would
really like to do some sleeping during the flights.

Please define "long".

Transatlantic flights from east cost USA to europe are too short to get
ant
decent amount of sleep. From west coast of USA to europe, it starts to be
long
enough to get a godo few hours of sleep.

More genius responses. How the hell can you argue that 6-1/2 hours
isn't enough time to sleep? IOW, if you're going to be able to sleep
on a flight period, 6-1/2 hours ought to do it.

Most people don't get 6 1/2 hours sleep on a 6 1/2 hour flight. By the time
you take off, eat dinner, and then are awakened for a breakfast snack prior
to arrival, you're lucky to get 4 hours in economy class; less in Business
or First.