A European city for 5 days in April

Old October 6th, 2006, 10:34 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.europe,soc.culture.usa
Thur

Default A European city for 5 days in April

"DRPSZ" wrote ...
3. I am looking for a new place that I have not visited previously, so
I'd tend to exclude London, Frankfurt, Rome, Copenhagen. (Istanbul as
well as nearby non-European Muslim cities like Cairo are out because my
family would be worried and fight against it, making it impossible to
enjoy with peace of mind.)

Your family needs to be educated, although Egypt isn't in Europe.
Greetings,

*Paris it is then*

Old October 6th, 2006, 03:19 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.europe,soc.culture.usa
Evolutions Sins

If you are going for 5 days, i would not pick a big city. You seem
more the type that wants to be in the middle of life as usuall in a
city. So brace yourself as i go out on a limb and say you should visit
Gothenburg sweden. You can get laid, you can be part of culture, you
can get a lot of the city and people into your understanding in 5
days.

Visit the street "Haga Ny G" do the coffee thing, meet some
locals. Its right next to a college and is teaming with hot swedish
coeds. Try to get invited to a "for party" meaning before party, where
you drink before you go out clubing. Clubing happens like clockwork
between 23:30-3:30 every friday and saturday. Have a hotel close to
center, talk to a bunch of women, then find the one you want and talk
her ear off, _IF_ you have game she will sleep with you, its normal. O
yes, and dress 3 times normally then do anywhere else, looks are a
HUGE part of there culture.

Take a nice walk on islands by taking the 11 train to the end.

Eat some local food. Check out the gardens. Boom, five days is up.

--
To new to the group to have a real sig
Old October 6th, 2006, 03:56 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.europe,soc.culture.usa
Ajanta

Default Americans should avoid Islamic countries

Thur wrote:

: "DRPSZ" wrote ...
: 3. I am looking for a new place that I have not visited previously, so
: I'd tend to exclude London, Frankfurt, Rome, Copenhagen. (Istanbul as
: well as nearby non-European Muslim cities like Cairo are out because my
: family would be worried and fight against it, making it impossible to
: enjoy with peace of mind.)
:
: Your family needs to be educated, although Egypt isn't in Europe.

Far from it; it is the citizens of "Eurabia" that need a reality
infusion. Many Europeans, especially if their country is not
targeted by Jihadis, don't realize that Americans are real targets and
at real risk in Islamic lands. OP's family's worries are well founded
and plain common sense.
Old October 6th, 2006, 04:34 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.europe,soc.culture.usa
[email protected]

DRPSZ wrote:
Need recommendations for a European city for 5 days in early April.
This is similar to another thread (which I read with interest) but
there are differences:

If you can get over the weather, any of Tallinn, Riga and Vilnius would
suit you very well. Relatively cheap, all good party towns with good
nightlife & culture, lots to see & do.

Patrick

Old October 6th, 2006, 05:40 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.europe,soc.culture.usa
B Vaughan

On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 11:51:10 +0200, Magda wrote:

On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 10:22:27 +0200, in rec.travel.europe, B
arranged some electrons, so they looked like this:

... As far as I'm concerned, it's easier to find good food in Italy than
... in Paris. Paris has more options at the high end, but just popping
... into the average restaurant is a toss-up. In Italy, it's hard to find
... a bad meal. You just have to avoid the places with laminated menus in
... four languages.

It depends on your tastes. I eat pasta twice a year, at most.

There's no need to order a first course at all. In fact, I often
don't.

--
Barbara Vaughan
My email address is my first initial followed by my surname at libero dot it
Old October 6th, 2006, 05:41 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.europe,soc.culture.usa
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Magda wrote:
On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 10:22:27 +0200, in rec.travel.europe, B
arranged some electrons, so they looked like this:

... As far as I'm concerned, it's easier to find good food in Italy than
... in Paris. Paris has more options at the high end, but just popping
... into the average restaurant is a toss-up. In Italy, it's hard to find
... a bad meal. You just have to avoid the places with laminated menus in
... four languages.

It depends on your tastes. I eat pasta twice a year, at most.

True! Although I like Italian food (I like most anything
edible, whatever its national origin), given the choice, I
think I prefer French. (Or better still, the Belgian
version of it.)

Old October 6th, 2006, 07:44 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.europe,soc.culture.usa
B Vaughan

On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 19:19:49 +0200, Magda wrote:

I had great meals in Belgium, too. I don't remember ever having a bad meal in Greece, or
in Germany. But Italian food is decidedly not my cuppa.

I've had some dreadful meals in Germany: too starchy, overcooked
vegetables, fatty meat.
Old October 6th, 2006, 07:48 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.europe,soc.culture.usa
Dick Locke

On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 14:56:49 GMT, Ajanta wrote:

Thur wrote:

: "DRPSZ" wrote ...
: 3. I am looking for a new place that I have not visited previously, so
: I'd tend to exclude London, Frankfurt, Rome, Copenhagen. (Istanbul as
: well as nearby non-European Muslim cities like Cairo are out because my
: family would be worried and fight against it, making it impossible to
: enjoy with peace of mind.)
:
: Your family needs to be educated, although Egypt isn't in Europe.

Far from it; it is the citizens of "Eurabia" that need a reality
infusion. Many Europeans, especially if their country is not
targeted by Jihadis, don't realize that Americans are real targets and
at real risk in Islamic lands. OP's family's worries are well founded
and plain common sense.

Do you ever ask yourself who benefits by filling your head with these
fears? Lumping Teheran or Istanbul in the same category as Baghdad is
just plain silly.

Plus, when did the word "Jihadi" take on a negative meaning? Sounds
like someone's anti-Muslim propaganda, plus it's a bit of an insult to
an important religious concept.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&l...ition&ct=title

gives a good list of definitions, mostly from non-Muslim sources, that
explain that the word has a benign as well as a militant definition.
Treating the word as if it only had one definition is not only silly,
it's insulting.
Old October 6th, 2006, 08:06 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.europe,soc.culture.usa
Ajanta

Dick Locke wrote:

: Plus, when did the word "Jihadi" take on a negative meaning?

Where have you been living the last few years? Anyway, the meaning has
always been negative for non-Muslims.

: gives a good list of definitions, mostly from non-Muslim sources, that
: explain that the word has a benign as well as a militant definition.
: Treating the word as if it only had one definition is not only silly,
: it's insulting.

Some people are easily insulted. Only Muslims or their apologists
pretend that Jihd has any other meaning in practice than commonly
understood. Anyway, knives also have two uses, but airport security
focuses on the more dangerous one. Same with Jihad. If some practice
Jihad as a kind of spiritual meditation, we wish them well, but the
rest of the world will still focus on the other, more dangerous kind.
Old October 6th, 2006, 08:12 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.europe,soc.culture.usa
Stephen Farrow

Magda wrote:
On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 20:44:49 +0200, in rec.travel.europe, B
arranged some electrons, so they looked like this:

... On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 19:19:49 +0200, Magda wrote:
... I had great meals in Belgium, too. I don't remember ever having a bad meal in Greece, or
... in Germany. But Italian food is decidedly not my cuppa.
... I've had some dreadful meals in Germany: too starchy, overcooked
... vegetables, fatty meat.

More starchy than pasta?

Oh God, yes. Some varieties of pasta are quite light, whereas I've eaten
dumplings in Germany that could have been used as ammunition in a riot.

--

Stephen

The past is another country. 1987's just the Isle of Wight.