NYC suggestions for 12 y.o.

Old March 1st, 2006, 07:37 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Default NYC suggestions for 12 y.o.

On Sun, 26 Feb 2006 15:30:25 -0800, SMS
wrote:

We stayed at the Dream Hotel on W 55th (formerly the Majestic Hotel). I
had three free nights there from a radio station contest that I won.

How was it?

First mistake of the trip was taking the Super Shuttle to the hotel. I
thought that I was in a Seinfeld episode. After circling the airport for
thirty minutes looking for more passengers, the totally uncommunicative
driver finally headed for Manhattan.

[snip]

Thanks for the warning. I'll remember not to take that to the airport
here.

[snip]
Normally I'd have preferred Newark.

Just curious: Why?

Some of what we did:

-Statue of Liberty. Not so great now that they no longer allow access
into the statue itself.

[snip]

Only to the top of the pedestal? Nice view from there, though.

So you didn't hit Ellis Island? Too bad.

-Empire State Building (this has got to have turned into one of the
biggest rip-offs since I first went there and you got in by putting 25¢
into the turnstile--a family of four could spend $200 here!).

[snip]

Huh? Don't tell me they're charging $50/person to go to the
Observation Deck now?!

-Staten Island Ferry

Was that somewhat superfluous after the Statue of Liberty?

-Concert at Carnegie Hall

Whose concert did you go to?

[snip]
Next time I really want to spend more time in the other neighborhoods.
In San Francisco, the best restaurants, and lower cost restaurants, are
all out in the neighborhoods, and I expect that NYC is the same way.

Depends what you're looking for.

Restaurants we went to
----------------------
-Fine & Shapiro, 138 W. 72nd. Better than the rip-off Carnegie or Stage
Delis.

-Ipanema, 13 W 46th (Brazilian)

-Serafina, 210 W. 55th St. (Italian, in our hotel)

-New Big Wang, 1 Elizabeth St (Chinatown) Good jook (congee), but the
you-tiao were not freshly made. Excellent jellyfish.

-Ray's Pizza, 54th and Broadway

-Wendy's, 259 W 34th

-La Prima Donna, 163 W 47th St (chosen by a niece)

You didn't go to anyplace I would have recommended, and hit a couple
of chains (Wendy's and Ray's). Sounds like New Big Wang wasn't bad; I
haven't tried it. Big Wong is known for its jook; I don't know if
they're connected.

Too bad it's so hard to find a Starbucks in Manhattan!

First time I've heard that complaint! I think there are a lot of
Starbucks in Manhattan.

We went to
Starbucks several times because it was so cold and windy during the time
we were there.

Understood.

I was disappointed that Al Yeganeh has closed his infamous Soup Kitchen
International which was right near our hotel.

I suggested for you to walk to 9th Av., didn't I? That's the thing to
do if you're staying in the West 40s or 50s. Even then, there are good
and bad restaurants there. But you really didn't have to go far to get
to good restaurants that probably would have pleased you.

Next time you're about to go to New York, you might read up on the New
York forum of www.egullet.org and if you can stomach their user
interface, you can try chowhound.com, etc.

I understand, though, that when you're travelling with others, you
have to make compromises. As long as the trip was fun, overall, that's
ultimately what counts.

Michael

If you would like to send a private email to me, please take out the NOTRASH. Please do not email me something which you also posted.
Old March 1st, 2006, 10:36 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Pan wrote on Wed 01 Mar 2006 06:37:36p

wrote:

-Empire State Building (this has got to have turned into one of the
biggest rip-offs since I first went there and you got in by putting
25¢ into the turnstile--a family of four could spend $200 here!).

[snip]

Huh? Don't tell me they're charging $50/person to go to the
Observation Deck now?!

$16 entry, but I think the "could spend" includes the attractive extras for
the kids...

--
Chris
Concatenate for email: mrgazpacho @ hotmail . com
Old March 1st, 2006, 03:43 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

wrote:

-Empire State Building (this has got to have turned into one of the
biggest rip-offs since I first went there and you got in by putting
25¢ into the turnstile--a family of four could spend $200 here!).

[snip]

Huh? Don't tell me they're charging $50/person to go to the
Observation Deck now?!

$16 entry, but I think the "could spend" includes the attractive extras for
the kids...

It's $16 adults/$14 children, to the observation deck. The if you want
to go the 102nd floor (where I used to go for 25 cents in the
turnstile), it's another $14. Then they have concessionaires along the
route of the line selling $20 photographs (in front of a picture of the
NY skyline), audio tours, and the "SkyRide" combo package which is $34
(including the observatory level for adults, $24 for children, not
including the audio tour, with the 102nd floor add-on still being $14,
no discount for children).

The hawkers for the audio tour keep harping on how you won't be able to
recognize anything without the audio tour, but there are big signs on
the observation deck that map out all the points of interest. On the
102nd floor apparently there are no signs, but everyone stops on the
86th floor anyway.

If you order tickets on-line it's another $2 per ticket surcharge, which
is probably well worth doing if at a busy time, considering the time it
will save.
Old March 1st, 2006, 03:56 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

Pan wrote:

We stayed at the Dream Hotel on W 55th (formerly the Majestic Hotel). I
had three free nights there from a radio station contest that I won.

How was it?

It was fine. It's one of those rather oddly renovated boutique hotels,
with small rooms. Good bed, and clean. I wouldn't pay the rack rate to
stay there, but maybe $175/night would be fair.

First mistake of the trip was taking the Super Shuttle to the hotel. I
thought that I was in a Seinfeld episode. After circling the airport for
thirty minutes looking for more passengers, the totally uncommunicative
driver finally headed for Manhattan.

[snip]

Thanks for the warning. I'll remember not to take that to the airport
here.

[snip]
Normally I'd have preferred Newark.

Just curious: Why?

Kennedy seems to always have long departure delays with planes lined up
to take off. I think the tower gives priority to the international
flights which seem to make up the bulk of the traffic there.

Some of what we did:

-Statue of Liberty. Not so great now that they no longer allow access
into the statue itself.

[snip]

Only to the top of the pedestal? Nice view from there, though.

So you didn't hit Ellis Island? Too bad.

I wanted to, but it was getting late.

-Staten Island Ferry

Was that somewhat superfluous after the Statue of Liberty?

Yes, it was really to sit down and rest after a lot of walking through
Chinatown, and the Wall Street area.

-Concert at Carnegie Hall

Whose concert did you go to?

Nothing top name. "New England Symphonic Ensemble, with choruses from
around the world" It was basically whatever was there, I bought tickets
only about an hour before the concert.

[...]

Yeah, I feel terrible about going to the two chains. Both times it was
rather in a rush.

All of the other places we went were good, but other than New Big Wang,
pretty expensive. My wife and I often judge places based on their squid
appetizer, and Serafina's was very good.

Next time you're about to go to New York, you might read up on the New
York forum of www.egullet.org and if you can stomach their user
interface, you can try chowhound.com, etc.

I understand, though, that when you're travelling with others, you
have to make compromises. As long as the trip was fun, overall, that's
ultimately what counts.

I was wondering about NY food forums. At least where I live, we have the
Usenet group ba.food, which is a very good group. I was hoping for an
nyc.food.

If I had been with someone more food adventurous I would have been
eating at different places.
Old March 1st, 2006, 10:55 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

I was wondering about NY food forums. At least where I live, we have the
Usenet group ba.food, which is a very good group. I was hoping for an
nyc.food.

nyc.food exists on Usenet. It's not as busy as it used to be but
there are still some regulars who can give very good recommendations.
Cheers,
Ann

To email: replace 'REMOVE' with 'b' in email address.
Old March 2nd, 2006, 07:44 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

wrote:

-Empire State Building (this has got to have turned into one of the
biggest rip-offs since I first went there and you got in by putting
25¢ into the turnstile--a family of four could spend $200 here!).

[snip]

Huh? Don't tell me they're charging $50/person to go to the
Observation Deck now?!

$16 entry, but I think the "could spend" includes the attractive extras for
the kids...

Well, if you buy lots of expensive souvenirs, I don't think it's valid
to complain about that.

Old March 2nd, 2006, 12:39 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

wrote:
-Empire State Building (this has got to have turned into one of the
biggest rip-offs since I first went there and you got in by putting
25¢ into the turnstile--a family of four could spend $200 here!).
[snip]

Huh? Don't tell me they're charging $50/person to go to the
Observation Deck now?!

$16 entry, but I think the "could spend" includes the attractive extras for
the kids...

Well, if you buy lots of expensive souvenirs, I don't think it's valid
to complain about that.

No, I didn't include the cost of any souvenirs. I was referring to the
the "combo package", audio tour, 102nd floor add-on, and the photos.
Souvenirs are additional.
Old March 3rd, 2006, 04:41 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

wrote:

Well, if you buy lots of expensive souvenirs, I don't think it's valid
to complain about that.

No, I didn't include the cost of any souvenirs. I was referring to the
the "combo package", audio tour, 102nd floor add-on, and the photos.
Souvenirs are additional.

Well, that's where they get you. No one needs the audio tour or the
photos. I've been up to the 86th floor about 10 times in my life and
never been to the 102nd floor. I don't see why there is any special
need to go up there, other than bragging rights. The view isn't any
better. Of course, the first-time tourist doesn't know that.

It'a been pointed out that there are plaques on the 86th floor
explaining what you are looking at, but if you don't follow along it
really doesn't matter. You go for the spectacle not the inventory.

The best audio tour is to bring an iPod with Gershwin's "Rhapsody in
Blue" or "Concerto in F" and just listen as you contemplate the
scenery.

Bottom line: My advice to all who are planning to go to the Empire
State Building is buy tickets for the 86th floor only and don't get
roped into spending money on anything else in the building.

Brian Wickham
Old March 3rd, 2006, 06:46 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada

wrote:
-Empire State Building (this has got to have turned into one of the
biggest rip-offs since I first went there and you got in by putting
25¢ into the turnstile--a family of four could spend $200 here!).
[snip]

Huh? Don't tell me they're charging $50/person to go to the
Observation Deck now?!
$16 entry, but I think the "could spend" includes the attractive extras for
the kids...

Well, if you buy lots of expensive souvenirs, I don't think it's valid
to complain about that.

No, I didn't include the cost of any souvenirs. I was referring to the
the "combo package", audio tour, 102nd floor add-on, and the photos.
Souvenirs are additional.

Well, none of those things are necessary.