What to do in Anchorage in July

Old March 21st, 2007, 03:15 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Brian Larkin

Default What to do in Anchorage in July

Any suggestions for things to do and see and places to eat in
Anchorage next July? We will have one day there and so far have no
plans at all. Any suggestions from exhibits to buildings to short
hikes will be appreciated.

Old March 22nd, 2007, 05:44 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
CalifBill

"Brian Larkin" wrote in message
Any suggestions for things to do and see and places to eat in
Anchorage next July? We will have one day there and so far have no
plans at all. Any suggestions from exhibits to buildings to short
hikes will be appreciated.

Go to a Midnight sun baseball league game. there is a good indian cultural
center near the airbase.

Old March 23rd, 2007, 12:19 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Eugene Miya

"Brian Larkin" wrote in message
Any suggestions for things to do and see and places to eat in
Anchorage next July? We will have one day there and so far have no
plans at all.

One day?!

Well, you should do something you can't do in the lower 48.
Like take a bush flt. around Denali.

The 2 places I last took a librarian co-worker suggestion as places to
eat are an old bar/steak place right next to the book store on I think 4th
if you are into beef and another highly recommended place who name
escapes me, but I remember googling on my Treo which was outside down
town (required a car or at least a bike) in a small shopping center
(maybe like Sven's, or Yan's).

Old March 23rd, 2007, 01:49 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
SMS

Brian Larkin wrote:
Any suggestions for things to do and see and places to eat in
Anchorage next July? We will have one day there and so far have no
plans at all. Any suggestions from exhibits to buildings to short
hikes will be appreciated.

Rent bicycles and ride the Tony Knowles trail.
"http://www.trailsofanchorage.com/image_map.htm"

Anchorage Museum of History
"http://www.anchoragemuseum.org/"
Old March 23rd, 2007, 10:26 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Brian Larkin

Now that is an interesting idea. I'll check it out. Thanks --Brian

On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 05:44:29 GMT, "CalifBill"
wrote:

.. .

Old March 23rd, 2007, 10:32 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Brian Larkin

Thanks very much. We will be in Anchorage for a day's rest after
having spent 3-weeks touring Danali, Fairbanks, the Gates of the
Arctic, the Danali Highway to Seward, the Kenai Pennensula and Clark
Lake. The restaurants bear looking into. Thanks. Brian

On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 19:52:46 -0800,
(Dennis P. Harris) wrote:

On 22 Mar 2007 16:19:23 -0800 in rec.travel.usa-canada,
(Eugene Miya) wrote:

The 2 places I last took a librarian co-worker suggestion as places to
eat are an old bar/steak place right next to the book store on I think 4th

it's call the club paris, and it still has the best steaks in los
anchorage. if they want a nice seafood dinner with a view, then
i suggest simon & seaforth's (reservations recommended), for a
brewpub/bistro meal, try humpy's alehouse.

my suggestion would be for the OPs to get out of los anchorage if
possible, to someplace a lodge in the mat-su, say maybe in big
lake. if they want the drive, they could drive down along
turnagain arm to girdwood and have dinner at the infamous double
musky inn. i would have suggested visiting the birdhouse in
bird, but it burned down several years ago.

quite frankly, anchorage is really not much, a very unremarkable
town except for its location. it encompasses all the bad
qualities of a californicated sprawled out suburb with no city
center, where it's almost impossible to live without a car, and
where everything is miles away.

Old March 23rd, 2007, 11:51 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Eugene Miya

In article ,
Brian Larkin wrote:
Thanks very much. We will be in Anchorage for a day's rest after
having spent 3-weeks touring Danali, Fairbanks, the Gates of the
Arctic, the Danali Highway to Seward, the Kenai Pennensula and Clark
Lake. The restaurants bear looking into. Thanks. Brian

Well if the Fox Roadhouse has all you can eat crab, you can eat there.

Bear can be tasty.

Slurp.

(Eugene Miya) wrote:
The 2 places I last took a librarian co-worker suggestion as places to
eat are an old bar/steak place right next to the book store on I think 4th

it's call the club paris, and it still has the best steaks in los
anchorage.

Yeah, I think that's it. Eat early or make reservations.

if they want a nice seafood dinner with a view, then
i suggest simon & seaforth's (reservations recommended), for a
brewpub/bistro meal, try humpy's alehouse.

I think that I've been to humpy's but I'm not a drinker.
I only transit thru los anchorage. But I have to say that I am impressed
with that supermarket, whatever it was surrounded by 1-way streets from
the main airport S of down town

my suggestion would be for the OPs to get out of los anchorage if
possible, to someplace a lodge in the mat-su, say maybe in big
lake. if they want the drive, they could drive down along
turnagain arm to girdwood and have dinner at the infamous double
musky inn.

quite frankly, anchorage is really not much, a very unremarkable
town except for its location. it encompasses all the bad
qualities of a californicated sprawled out suburb with no city
center, where it's almost impossible to live without a car, and
where everything is miles away.

Hey, as you know it's as close as you can get to Alaska.