Flight to Sydney from UK with breaks

Old January 23rd, 2007, 03:38 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Andrew Nightingale

Default Flight to Sydney from UK with breaks

I intend to fly from the London area of the UK to Sydney to arrive in
Sydney on 5th April and leave Sydney for the UK on 30th April. I would
like to break the journey in each direction for a night or two. I intend
to fly from Sydney to Cairns or Townsville on the 10th, take the train
between these two cities and return to Sydney from the other on the
20th.

I would like suggestions on the best websites to look at for websites
for my flights. And any other thoughts you may have.

--
Andrew Nightingale of Cambridge (UK)

Old January 23rd, 2007, 06:39 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
www.byronbay.co.uk

"Andrew Nightingale" wrote in message
I intend to fly from the London area of the UK to Sydney to arrive in
Sydney on 5th April and leave Sydney for the UK on 30th April. I would like
to break the journey in each direction for a night or two. I intend to fly
from Sydney to Cairns or Townsville on the 10th, take the train between
these two cities and return to Sydney from the other on the 20th.

I would like suggestions on the best websites to look at for websites for
my flights. And any other thoughts you may have.

--
Andrew Nightingale of Cambridge (UK)

List of links for flights can be found at
http://www.experimentalist.co.uk/che...hts/index.html

--

www.experimentalist.co.uk/shop/index.php
Australia, New Zealand, USA, German, UK, South Africa, Thailand, Brazil Sim

Old January 24th, 2007, 07:01 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
gerrit

"Andrew Nightingale" wrote in message
I intend to fly from the London area of the UK to Sydney to arrive in
Sydney on 5th April and leave Sydney for the UK on 30th April. I would
like to break the journey in each direction for a night or two.

Depending on your airline you have a choice of stopovers.
Malaysia Airlines - Kuala Lumpur, modern city, lots of shopping. Malaysian
also offer a free flight to another airport in Malaysia if you take their
stopover package hotel which btw are relatively cheap and pretty good. You
can choose places like Langkawi, Penang, Terrenganu etc.
http://www.malaysiaairlines.com/index.html
Singapore Airlines - Stopover packages available with lots of hotels in
Singapore. http://www.singaporeair.com/saa/
Cathay Pacific - Stopovers in Hong Kong.
http://www.cathaypacific.com/cpa/en_INTL/homepage
Royal Brunei - Stopovers in Bandar Seri Begawan the capital of Brunei.
http://www.bruneiair.com/
Emirates - Stopover in Dubai http://www.emirates.com/
British Airways/Qantas - Stopovers in Singapore. The added attraction with
BA/Q is that you should be able to get a cheap intra Australia flight with
them. http://www.emirates.com/ and/or
http://www.britishairways.com/travel...bal/public/en_

There are some other choices but those could mean a change of plane in
Europe, Africa or the Americas.
So lots of choice.

Gerrit

Old January 27th, 2007, 08:52 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Matt

"Andrew Nightingale" wrote in message
I intend to fly from the London area of the UK to Sydney to arrive in
Sydney on 5th April and leave Sydney for the UK on 30th April. I would like
to break the journey in each direction for a night or two. I intend to fly
from Sydney to Cairns or Townsville on the 10th, take the train between
these two cities and return to Sydney from the other on the 20th.

I would like suggestions on the best websites to look at for websites for
my flights. And any other thoughts you may have.

gerrit covered things pretty well, but I would add that it largely depends
on what you want from your stop-over - relaxing / shopping / a bit of Asian
culture / possibility of hopping off to a beach destination for a few days /
etc.

IMHO, Singapore is all round OK but a bit too westernised to be really
interesting. The big plus with Singapore is that you can fly SIA if you stop
there, and SIA are a great airline.

Kuala Lumpur would be a good choice - good mix of shopping and some
interesting places to visit. As gerrit mentioned it's cheap / easy to go to
Penang or Langkawi for a few days too.

One option not mentioned already Bangkok, which is what I'd choose if I was
flying Oz - UK and wanted an Asian stopover. The shopping is fantastic, it
has some amazing and easily accessible attractions (e.g. Wat Pho, King's
Palace), and I think it is more interesting than Singapore or KL. Bangkok is
probably the most "Asian" of the cities mentioned (although still massive
and westernised).

HTH.

--
Cheers,