public toilets in Italian cities

Old December 13th, 2003, 06:30 AM
Lil

Default public toilets in Italian cities

Now that the time is approaching to when I will be enroute to Italy,
some practical questions come to mind.

For example, how common are public toilets in Italian cities? By
public toilets, I mean not the porta-potty type or the ones that are
parked in the streets, but rather the ones that you can find in malls,
libraries or other public buildings. Would we have to dodge into
restaurants, cafes, bars, or even hotels?

I remember in one London restaurant, they charged us for the papadum
(it was an Indian restaurant.) Is there some custom like that in
Italy? (I would like to know--at the U.S. restaurants, breads and the
likes are complimentary.)

At hotels, is there a service charge--e.g. tip--which is included in
the bill? If there is, I would like to know about it so I won't be so
generous with the tip for the room service...

Are there any additional practices that I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance.

Lil
Old December 13th, 2003, 08:52 AM
Judith Umbria

"Lil" wrote in message
om...
Now that the time is approaching to when I will be enroute to Italy,
some practical questions come to mind.

For example, how common are public toilets in Italian cities? By
public toilets,

I've never seen porta potties here, but I may be innocent. There are some
strictl;y publi toilets, but all you need to know is that every bar must
have a toilet and must let you use it. It doesn't have to be a nice one,
but there must be one.

Old December 13th, 2003, 10:17 AM
[ B r a q u e ]

Public toilets (in railway stations, airports, big malls, gas stations and
"others"...) often have a small dish where to leave some coins for the
"toilet lady".
In the central part of the cities there are often "automatic" public
toilets. With a coin or two you can use it for a certain amount of time...
But I never used them, they scare me a lot
what if I should stay locked in it??
what if the door should open right in the middle of my "bussiness"?? ))

Still you can always rely on bars and "caffè"... The central ones usually
have nice toilets with sink and mirror...
A small tip:
I usually ask for a cappuccino or an "freshly squeezed orange juice" and
while they prepare it I go to the toilet.

bon voyage!
Braque

om...

Old December 13th, 2003, 11:30 AM
B Vaughan

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 09:17:29 GMT, "[ B r a q u e ]"
wrote:

[snip]

In the central part of the cities there are often "automatic" public
toilets. With a coin or two you can use it for a certain amount of time...
But I never used them, they scare me a lot
what if I should stay locked in it??
what if the door should open right in the middle of my "bussiness"?? ))

I had an amusing incident recently. I was eating with a friend in a
small restaurant in Italy which had only one other table occupied. I
went to the toilet, which was on a lower floor, and found myself
locked in. The key turned, but missed turning the lock mechanism. I
tried numerous times, and also tried banging on the door, but no one
heard me. I didn't know how long it would take before my companion
sent out a search party. So I called directory information on my cell
phone and got the phone number of the restaurant. The directory
operator offered to send me a text message with all the information
about the restaurant, but I told her, "Look, I'm locked in the toilet
at this restaurant and I just want the phone number." She laughed and
gave it to me.
-----------
Barbara Vaughan
My email address is my first initial followed by my surname at libero dot it
Old December 13th, 2003, 12:34 PM
Phil Richards

Default Bread in Italian Restaurants (Was public toilets in Italian cities)

On 12 Dec 2003 21:30:59 -0800 Lil said...

I remember in one London restaurant, they charged us for the papadum
(it was an Indian restaurant.) Is there some custom like that in
Italy? (I would like to know--at the U.S. restaurants, breads and the
likes are complimentary.)

Standard with most Italian restaurants is a cover charge ("Coperta")
which will include bread. Expect to pay about EUR 1 to 1.5 per person.

Going back to charging for papadums, not surprise in central London. In
my own experience in areas where you'll find an abundance of Curry/Balti
restaurants (or houses) for instance around Brick Lane in East London,
certain parts of Birmingham then often papadums are "on the house".

--
Phil Richards
London

Old December 13th, 2003, 12:41 PM
R@L

"Lil" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Besides the already mentioned bars -they indeed must have a toilet and must
serve water for free by law- you'll find very clean toilets in shopping
malls and larger stores like DIY and supermarkets. But normally you have a
caffè and do your thing.

Ronald www.mulazzo.nl

Old December 13th, 2003, 12:54 PM
David Horne

Phil Richards wrote:

Going back to charging for papadums, not surprise in central London. In
my own experience in areas where you'll find an abundance of Curry/Balti
restaurants (or houses) for instance around Brick Lane in East London,
certain parts of Birmingham then often papadums are "on the house".

I think I'm correct in saying that the curry mile at Rusholme
(Manchester) has the highest concentration of Curry/Balti restaurants in
Europe, and they _do_ tend to charge for papadums.

David

--
David Horne- (website under reconstruction)
davidhorne (at) davidhorne (dot) co (dot) uk
Old December 13th, 2003, 03:14 PM
tile

It is not Coperta ( Blanket in italian) but COPERTO..
it is in all restaurants. and it is between 1.5 to 3 eur
depending on the restaurant.