Does France Have A Nickname?

Old February 1st, 2005, 05:45 PM
Carlus

"Miss L. Toe" a écrit dans le message de
news: ...

Frogland ?

you are wrong, we don't call our country "Frogland"

--
Carlus

Old February 1st, 2005, 06:08 PM
Hans-Ulrich Steingrobe

Jim Pflaum schrieb:

Does France, like many other countries, have a common nickname?
Americans often call the U.S. "The land of the free." Some Britts call
England "the land of hope and glory."

I searched the Net's travel sites but didn't see any nickname for
France. I know that Paris is called "The city of lights," but does
France have a nickname or slogan? Thanks!

The French call France "la grande nation", the great nation.

Ulli
Old February 1st, 2005, 06:21 PM
Padraig Breathnach

Des Small wrote:

Padraig Breathnach writes:

Zinzan wrote:

Le 1 Feb 2005 06:13:30 -0800, "Jim Pflaum" a
écrit :

I searched the Net's travel sites but didn't see any nickname for
France. I know that Paris is called "The city of lights," but does
France have a nickname or slogan? Thanks!

L'hexagone.

Well, yes and no. The expression is widely used and understood, but
l'hexagone is not all of France. Although Le Pen might fervently hope
that it were.

He has something against Corsica also as well?

I suspect that he might: it's a bit closer to Africa than he might
like.

But France for many shopping purposes tends to mean "la France
metropolitaine or it'll cost ya".

The Law Lords recently decided the Pitcairn islands were _part_ of the
UK, of course: I, for one, won't be sponsoring any more namby-pamby
Land's End to John O'Groats treckers...

But isn't the big trial on Pitcairn being conducted by an Australian
judge?

I take it the Domtom and Pitcairn are on-topic here. Anybody got
Pitcairn restaurant recommendations?

--
PB
The return address has been MUNGED
Old February 1st, 2005, 08:21 PM
Jim Pflaum

I was curious so I called the French government's Tourism Office in
New York and ask whether France does have an official nickname and/or
slogan.

Zinzan was right; France's official nickname is "L'hexagone" or
"The Hexagone," while its official slogan is "France...land of
liberty, equality and brotherhood."

Old February 1st, 2005, 08:26 PM
Padraig Breathnach

"Jim Pflaum" wrote:

Zinzan was right; France's official nickname is "L'hexagone" or
"The Hexagone," while its official slogan is "France...land of
liberty, equality and brotherhood."

An official nickname? That's a nonsensical idea.

And l'hexagone is not all of France.

Old February 1st, 2005, 09:00 PM
Robert J Carpenter

La Metropole, for the part of France which is in Europe.
"Metropolitan" France. Does not include the DOM / TOM. AFAIK does
include Corsica, north & south, departments 2A and 2B.

Old February 1st, 2005, 10:08 PM
Robert Clark

écrit :

I searched the Net's travel sites but didn't see any nickname for
France. I know that Paris is called "The city of lights," but does
France have a nickname or slogan? Thanks!

L'hexagone.

??? Where does that come from?

Because it is shaped like one.
Old February 1st, 2005, 10:44 PM
James Silverton

Padraig Breathnach wrote:
"Jim Pflaum" wrote:

Zinzan was right; France's official nickname is "L'hexagone" or
"The Hexagone," while its official slogan is "France...land of
liberty, equality and brotherhood."

An official nickname? That's a nonsensical idea.

And l'hexagone is not all of France.

Perfectly true but l'hexagone is as good a nickname for European
France as you are likely to get. It is used quite frequently in
magazines like l'Expresse and even has been reported in political
speeches.

--
James V. Silverton
Potomac, Maryland, USA

Old February 1st, 2005, 10:53 PM
poldy

In article ,
Mxsmanic wrote:

Jim Pflaum writes:

Does France, like many other countries, have a common nickname?
Americans often call the U.S. "The land of the free." Some Britts call
England "the land of hope and glory."

I searched the Net's travel sites but didn't see any nickname for
France. I know that Paris is called "The city of lights," but does
France have a nickname or slogan? Thanks!

L'Hexagone is often used in France (because of the way the country is
shaped). The anthropomorphic metaphor for the country is Marianne, a
woman wearing a Phrygian (or Liberty) cap. Sometimes the country is
represented as a rooster (le coq gaulois).

Land of the cheese-eating surrender monkeys!
Old February 1st, 2005, 11:08 PM
Keith Anderson

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 23:27:25 +0100, Magda
wrote:

On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 22:39:57 +0100, in rec.travel.europe, nitram arranged
some electrons, so they looked like this :

... ... ... Frogland ?
... ... ...
... ... ... Naughty, Ms Rosbief!
... ...
... ... Shopkeeper, Martin !
... ...
... ... Fishwife, Magda :-)
... Oh quite, Missy is not English...
... Are you sure about her gender?

I'll have you know that "Ms" is not neutral.
But if Missy is a male, he surely have quite a feminine side !

Actually, I've been getting in touch with my feminine side recently,
so now I'm always right. :-)