cairns - broome - perth

Old October 4th, 2006, 08:24 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Geilo

Default cairns - broome - perth

I thought of driving on the savannah way from cairns to broome and
further to perth. i've got a 4wd and some basic equipment but i am
lacking a co-pilot. is one of you interested to join me?
the idea is to start mid of november and arrive in perth short to
christmas.
for the experienced amongst you: what is to be taken care of when
travelling during summertime and approaching wet season? is 4 weeks
sufficient time for this tour?
looking forward to hear of you

--
Geilo
Old October 4th, 2006, 09:48 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Roger[_2_]

"Geilo" wrote in message

I thought of driving on the savannah way from cairns to broome and
further to perth. i've got a 4wd and some basic equipment but i am
lacking a co-pilot. is one of you interested to join me?
the idea is to start mid of november and arrive in perth short to
christmas.

Leaving mid November might be just a bit too late to avoid the rains,
and depending on how much rain falls (or forecast rain) there are sections
of the Way that can be closed. There really is no gurantee that the roads
will be open all the way through. Its very easy to get stuck on some of the
mud roads that appear when it rains. The Shire Councils up in that part of
the world are taking a tougher stand on vehicles ripping up the roads if a
road closed sign has been posted.

Sticking to the bitumen alternate roads will make it a lot safer, but a lot
less
to see.

for the experienced amongst you: what is to be taken care of when
travelling during summertime and approaching wet season? is 4 weeks
sufficient time for this tour?
looking forward to hear of you

4 weeks in dry cooler weather is easy to cover that distance.
4 weeks in the wet, with someone you've only just met?? Thats a big
ask of both of you.

Travelling at that time of year would not be my choice, its hot, humid,
mozzies are fierce, getting out of an air conditioned vehicle is like
hitting a brick wall of humidity.

Old October 11th, 2006, 05:36 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
A Mate

November/December are risky months for travel on the Savanna Way. The wet
season begins in late November or early December. You might get away with
it - but it would be hot and humid.

Katherine to Perth (via Broome) would be fine as far as road conditions go -
but!! as hot as all hell!

Old October 11th, 2006, 06:33 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz
Frank Slootweg

A Mate wrote:
November/December are risky months for travel on the Savanna Way. The wet
season begins in late November or early December. You might get away with
it - but it would be hot and humid.

Katherine to Perth (via Broome) would be fine as far as road conditions go -
but!! as hot as all hell!

If he intends to do the Gibb River Road and perhaps other unsealed
parts (note he talks about having a 4WD), then that may be troublesome
as well in November/December. In 2000, we had a closed road (luckily
only a side road (from the Silent Grove campground)) on the GRR as early
as October 10.