Trip Report - SDF-DTW-AMS-BCN-MAD-JFK-CVG-SDF

Old November 11th, 2003, 04:20 AM
mrtravel

Default Shoe Nazis / TSA harassment

The Bill Mattocks wrote:

Sleeping Racoon wrote in message ...

The Bill Mattocks wrote:

The Supreme Court has consistantly and historically held that the
government must not infringe on the those rights it is specifically
forbidden in the Bill of Rights and additional Amendments to the US
Constitution.

If the current regime abuses those rights, how come there is no mechanism to
stop those abuses and punish those who have made the abuses ?

There is. The Supreme Court is the final arbiter of the
constitutionality of US law. The electoral system is set up to
'punish' those who pass laws that are unconstitutional - vote 'em out
of office.

Actually the electoral system should be done away with.

Old November 12th, 2003, 07:39 PM
Dennis G. Rears

"mrtravel" wrote in message
m...
The Bill Mattocks wrote:

Sleeping Racoon wrote in message

There is. The Supreme Court is the final arbiter of the
constitutionality of US law. The electoral system is set up to
'punish' those who pass laws that are unconstitutional - vote 'em out
of office.

Actually the electoral system should be done away with.

Why do you think this? Should we also do away with having two Senators
from each state regardless of population?

dennis

Old November 12th, 2003, 08:36 PM
None

"Dennis G. Rears" wrote in message

"mrtravel" wrote in message
m...
The Bill Mattocks wrote:

Sleeping Racoon wrote in message

There is. The Supreme Court is the final arbiter of the
constitutionality of US law. The electoral system is set up to
'punish' those who pass laws that are unconstitutional - vote 'em out
of office.

Actually the electoral system should be done away with.

Why do you think this? Should we also do away with having two Senators
from each state regardless of population?

What does that have to do with the (quasi-dictatorial) electoral college?
The EC is an antiquated system that prompts more people NOT to vote than any
other reason. In the last election, the popular vote elected Al Gore hands
down, but the EC STILL chose the shrub. Is that right? Should the majority
of the voters who voted for Al Gore be told . . . YOUR votes DON'T count?

That is exactly what the electoral college does, it curcumvents the will of
the majority. The electoral college, just like the two party system, should
be flushed down the crapper with an abundance of fanfare!

If you ask me, there should be 2 congresspersons from each state, and one
senator, regardless of state size or number of voters. A single party
system will stop all the bi-partisan dick waving that takes up so much
valuable time, and wastes so much taxpayer revenue by one side seeing who
can outspend the other.

While we are at it, NO ONE over 60 in elected office, and the supreme court
should be elected positions, not lifetime appointments. It's hell when we
have 90 year old codgers in government who don't know how to change their
own adult diapers let alone make a decision that basically affects the
entire world.

End of rant.

Next?

Old November 12th, 2003, 10:30 PM
Dennis G. Rears

"None" wrote in message
nk.net...

"Dennis G. Rears" wrote in message

"mrtravel" wrote in message
m...
The Bill Mattocks wrote:

Sleeping Racoon wrote in message

There is. The Supreme Court is the final arbiter of the
constitutionality of US law. The electoral system is set up to
'punish' those who pass laws that are unconstitutional - vote 'em

out
of office.

Actually the electoral system should be done away with.

Why do you think this? Should we also do away with having two

Senators
from each state regardless of population?

What does that have to do with the (quasi-dictatorial) electoral college?

They both have roots in how the constitution attempted to share power with
both the people and the states. The House of Representatives were directly
chosen by the people and the Senate was chosen by the states. It wasn't
until the early 1900's that an amendment was passed that allowed for direct
vote of senators.

The EC is an antiquated system that prompts more people NOT to vote than

any
other reason.

Do you have any material to back up this assertion? In any case if people
don't want to vote that is their business.

In the last election, the popular vote elected Al Gore hands
down, but the EC STILL chose the shrub.

Not entirely true, They voted for electors who were pledged to Al Gore, not
Al Gore himself.

Is that right?

Yes, since they were the rules in place at the time.

Should the majority
of the voters who voted for Al Gore be told . . . YOUR votes DON'T count?

Read previous statement. The votes did count for the EC. Voters in DC
didn't even get to elect an Elector. The country has had a long time to
change the EC. They haven't. This isn't the first time the winner of the
popular vote didn't win the election.

That is exactly what the electoral college does, it curcumvents the will

of
the majority.

A lot of government was formulated to frustate the rule of the majority.

The electoral college, just like the two party system, should
be flushed down the crapper with an abundance of fanfare!

I would not mind it going away.

If you ask me, there should be 2 congresspersons from each state, and one
senator, regardless of state size or number of voters.

So a state like Wyoming with less than a million people would have the same
representation as California? How does this square away with your statement
of "the will of the majority"?

A single party
system will stop all the bi-partisan dick waving that takes up so much
valuable time, and wastes so much taxpayer revenue by one side seeing who
can outspend the other.

The two party citizen is so ingrained in the country that nothing short of a
revoltion is going to stop it. BTW, I am not a Democrat nor Republican.

While we are at it, NO ONE over 60 in elected office, and the supreme

court
should be elected positions, not lifetime appointments.

You are most welcome to try to amend the constitution.

It's hell when we
have 90 year old codgers in government who don't know how to change their
own adult diapers let alone make a decision that basically affects the
entire world.

If there a difference between a 90 year old incompentent or 30 year old
incompentent. What scares me is someone who is compentent that wants a
power grab.

End of rant.

Next?

Old November 12th, 2003, 11:37 PM
john

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 20:36:42 GMT, "None" wrote:

"Dennis G. Rears" wrote in message

"mrtravel" wrote in message
m...
The Bill Mattocks wrote:

[...]

Great observation
Why should they let these old *******s stay on in goverment for ever?
I believe that Strom Thurmond secretly died about ten years ago
but his staff propped him up in his chair every day since then.

It seems that government is the only place that allows this to
happen.

Even in a very successful company like IBM the CEO is forced to retire
at 60 ( or 65).

End of rant.

Next?

Old November 13th, 2003, 12:24 AM
mrtravel

john wrote:

Even in a very successful company like IBM the CEO is forced to retire
at 60 ( or 65).

Really? Can you point to a link that shows this?

Old November 13th, 2003, 12:28 AM
mrtravel

john wrote:

It seems that government is the only place that allows this to
happen.

Even in a very successful company like IBM the CEO is forced to retire
at 60 ( or 65).

http://archive.infoworld.com/article...o.xml?0129tupm

IBM CEOs rarely retain their position past their 60th birthday. Gerstner
addressed that trend in his e-mail to the staff.

"Some people believe IBM CEOs are required to step aside at age 60.
That's not so. There is no rule or age limit that requires me to do this
now. I am doing it because I am convinced that the time is right. The
company is ready, and so is our new leader," he wrote.