Trans Atlantic Crossing

Old August 28th, 2007, 09:48 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Easy News

Default Trans Atlantic Crossing

I have always wanted to do a Trans Atlantic crossing.
I know the two times of the year are usually in April and October when the
ships are either going to Europe or coming back for repositioning. I
realize we will have to fly one way and take a cruise the other way.

I was thinking that it would be the best thing to fly over and then take the
ship back. That way we would be able to bring back gifts without worrying
about the weight. and lost baggage. That would be in October.

I have been looking at the different cruise lines and the ports in Europe
where they go and where one needs to fly too to catch the ships and NCL
seems to have the best schedule of ports for us. They would be leaving
from Barcelona and arriving in Fort Lauderdale.

My questions are these;
Would October be a good time to do the Trans Atlantic crossing, weather
wise, or would April be safer?

Has anyone done the crossing and if so, would you comment about it?

Are there any specials one can find for the crossings like you find for the
Eastern and Western Caribbean?

Other than Carnival, would there be any cruise lines cheaper than NCL?
Carnival doesn't have enough stops to make it worth while, for me.

Any other information will certainly be appreciated.

Thanks for any and all replies.

Sandy

Old August 28th, 2007, 10:45 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Ian

wrote:

[...]

My one trip on a liner so far was across the Atlantic, so for what it's
worth:
It was two years ago, in September on the QMII. Left NY
on the evening of the 3rd if I remember aright, took about four days,
and arrived at Southampton. Spent 2 weeks in Britain, then flew back
from Glasgow airport to Southampton for the return trip to NY.
Thoroughly enjoyed both trips: great food, excellent service from all,
nice cabin or stateroom as they call it, with a balcony to get the fresh
air along with my nicotine-filled smoke !
I found seven bars and decided the Churchill was the one that best suited
me.
Weather: there was a short period in mid-Atlantic of what I'd call heavy
seas, but the ship has some kind of advanced stabilizer mechanism that
damps down the rocking and rolling considerably. I'd recommend that liner for
anyone wanting to try a transatlantic crossing.
--
Ian
Official licensed Town Drunk, Ft Worth, TX, USA
Old August 28th, 2007, 11:57 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Kurt Ullman

In article 36,
Joseph Coulter wrote:

About my only cruising regret is that I never got to take one of
the Queens from NY to Europe and then take the Concord back. My travel
club offered that about once a year. Shoulda done it.

You are in a big club there. Woulda shoulda, but then I ask coulda?

Of course if this is my worst regret, then I am definitely still WAY
ahead of the game.
Old August 29th, 2007, 12:36 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
[email protected]

On Aug 28, 4:48 pm, "Easy News" wrote:
[...]

We haven't actually done a TA, but are considering it for Fall 2009.
What we're considering is booking Oceania, as it includes free
airfare. Since most of our time would be spent on the ship as opposed
to stopping frequently at port, we don't mind spending a bit more for
Oceania since we'd be interested in the ship vs. the itinerary for
that kind of a sailing. I know there is a group going on Oceania next
November TA; you might see if you can get in on that one. Cal Ford
has that group going, I believe. He posts here frequently; he's with
Lido Cruises.

Old August 29th, 2007, 12:59 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tom K

wrote in message
ups.com...

We haven't actually done a TA, but are considering it for Fall 2009.
What we're considering is booking Oceania, as it includes free
airfare. Since most of our time would be spent on the ship as opposed
to stopping frequently at port, we don't mind spending a bit more for
Oceania since we'd be interested in the ship vs. the itinerary for
that kind of a sailing. I know there is a group going on Oceania next
November TA; you might see if you can get in on that one. Cal Ford
has that group going, I believe. He posts here frequently; he's with
Lido Cruises.

That's a TINY ship to be doing a trans Atlantic on... I actually had doubts
about doing a Bermuda sailing during the fall on the Journey (another former
Ren sister ship) because of her tiny size. I sailed through a Nor'easter on
the tiny Zenith last year... it wasn't pretty. On the Explorer this past
spring, we sailed through the remnants of a tropical storm, with waves
higher than my second deck window... and until I opened the window I didn't
even know we were in rough seas.

I think I'd want a huge ship to do a crossing. Either a Voyager class or
the QM2. Both from a stability stand point and having tons of stuff to do
for 5-6 days.

--Tom

Old August 29th, 2007, 06:49 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Tobie Gerbrandt

Hi Tom,

We have done two crossings on the Regatta and have had some medium size
seas. This ship really takes the waves well. There were some passengers
who had difficulty with it, but I wouldn't say the incidence of "mal de mer"
was any higher than it has been on any of the larger ships we've been on.

Of course, if you are prone to motion sickness, I'd recommend a daily dose
of Bonine.

Tobieon an Island in the Pacific

"Tom K" wrote in message

ups.com...

Old August 30th, 2007, 08:51 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Ike

More comments regarding "tiny ships".

Thinking about my personal seafaring history, I realize that the
Oceania Regatta, at 30,000 tons and 600', will be the second
largest ship on which I've ever crossed either ocean. My list
includes ships from under 2,500 tons up to an attack carrier.

Also, I see that Oceania's ships cruise at only 18 knots, which
is probably 80% of full speed. That suggests that max is 22.5
knots, which is equivalent to about 26 mph. A day sailing at
right angles to a predicted storm path therefore takes it about
624 miles away, so the variable is the judgment of the captain
and his management as to when to begin getting out of harm's way.

Since all of these vessels cross from Europe to the U.S. every
November, usually with a high percentage of passengers making
the trip more than once, it's reasonable to assume that such
judgment is generally in favor of comfort.

My wife and I plan to be aboard Regatta from Barcelona to Miami
in November.

Ike
Old August 30th, 2007, 09:41 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Paul Johnson

"Ike" wrote in message
More comments regarding "tiny ships".

Thinking about my personal seafaring history, I realize that the Oceania
Regatta, at 30,000 tons and 600', will be the second largest ship on which
I've ever crossed either ocean. My list includes ships from under 2,500
tons up to an attack carrier. ...

Since all of these vessels cross from Europe to the U.S. every November,
usually with a high percentage of passengers making the trip more than
once, it's reasonable to assume that such judgment is generally in favor
of comfort.
My wife and I plan to be aboard Regatta from Barcelona to Miami in
November.

I was looking for some specifics to respond to the comment about Oceania
"tiny" ships, but your post yesterday said it better than I would have.
Today I would like to add a bit.
All three Oceania ships are 30,277 tons, 594 feet in length, 83.5 feet in
breadth and draw 19.5 feet maximum. If two football fields in length is
tiny...
We also found a significant advantage (IMHO) to the smaller ships. We could
pull right up to the pier at Castries, St. Lucia, less than 100 yards from
the busses and taxis. The QM2 had to anchor out several miles and ferry
their passengers in by tender.
As to ride- most of our sea days on our Lisbon to Barbados cruise in
November '04 were smooth as glass- no perceptible movement at all. One day
we hit some 8 - 10' swells. We experienced some slight pitching, but very
little rolling. All in all, we have never slept better in our lives. I
guess you could say we were rocked gently to sleepG.
Insignia make the run around the tip of South America where seas are
notoriously rough. I guess they aren't too tiny for that pounding. And,
Oceania ships are aesthetically very beautiful- very well proportioned and
balanced. Obviously it's a matter of taste, but I consider the monster
ships to ugly, bulbous things. I don't know how one would find out, but
I'll bet their stability characteristics are better (if not much better)
than the skyscrapers on water.
Oh well, to each his own.
Paul Johnson