Eastern Usa- Canada

Old February 9th, 2008, 01:38 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Mark Brader

Default Eastern Usa- Canada

"Max":
I'm planning a travel of 4-5 weeks (from May 4th to June 6th or
13th).

I'll just point out that Monday, May 19, will be a holiday in Canada
(Victoria Day) while the next Monday, May 26, will be a holiday in the US
(Memorial Day). So the kind of roads and hotels that people use for
weekend trips will be particularly busy (not only on the holidays but
also the whole weekend), and things like banks and post offices and
some stores will be closed. On the other hand, places that business
travelers go will be less busy.

Victoria Day is a traditional fireworks day in some provinces, including
Ontario, and you may be able to find a public fireworks show if you'd
like to watch one.
--
Mark Brader | "A colorful quilt reflecting the dispersed development
| of the nation. A sentence fragment."
Toronto | --Eric Walker

Old February 9th, 2008, 11:01 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Keith Willshaw[_3_]

"Mark Brader" wrote in message
J. Clarke:
To be perfectly honest, this is one time when it seems to me to make
sense to just rent a car in Boston and drive to Quebec. The travel
time's about the same as flying and the cost including gas for a one
way rental is about the same as the air fare and there's some
"picturesque" country in between.

I haven't tried it, but it might not be possible to rent one-way from
the US to Canada these days.

Even if you can there's probably a hefty dropoff fee.

Keith

Old February 9th, 2008, 02:41 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
max11

On 9 Feb, 02:38, (Mark Brader) wrote:
"Max":

I'm planning a travel of 4-5 weeks (from May 4th to June 6th or
13th).

I'll just point out that Monday, May 19, will be a holiday in Canada
(Victoria Day) while the next Monday, May 26, will be a holiday in the US
(Memorial Day). So the kind of roads and hotels that people use for
weekend trips will be particularly busy (not only on the holidays but
also the whole weekend), and things like banks and post offices and
some stores will be closed. On the other hand, places that business
travelers go will be less busy.

Victoria Day is a traditional fireworks day in some provinces, including
Ontario, and you may be able to find a public fireworks show if you'd
like to watch one.

Thank you I didn't know!

Old February 9th, 2008, 03:00 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
max11

Ed Treijs ha scritto:

In article ,
max11 wrote:
On 6 Feb, 17:50, (Ed Treijs) wrote:

I think you're right, Ottawa is on the way but I read Quebec is much
more better than Ottawa and much more different from both Montreal and
Toronto. Are you agree?

Quebec City is a very old, historic city. I forgot about this year being
400 year celebration. But the celebration is in the news that it is not
getting much interest or excitement. Also, a big attraction of Quebec City
is that it is a very old walled town, which is not usual in North America.
You are coming from Europe, so do you want to visit a place that is noted
for being "old Europe"? When I visit Europe, I am not very interested in
seeing "North American-style" places!

Ottawa has as nice a setting as Quebec, in my opinion. There are many
national museums in Ottawa: National Gallery and Museum of Civilization
(just across the river in Hull) are two major ones that I can think of.
The Tulip Festival will be happening in May:
http://www.tulipfestival.ca/en/index.php

Ottawa is definitely a larger city with more going on than Quebec.

You would have to tell us more of your interests for us to be able to
really say if you should visit Ottawa or Quebec. I can tell you that from
Montreal to Ottawa is about the same time as Montreal to Quebec, but Quebec
to Toronto is much longer than Ottawa to Toronto.

I'm 28yo, I like to visit cities, walking on the streets (even if I
know spaces are bigger than European cities,so it's harder) to know
places, to breath the place air: I tkink this kind of approach takes
at least one week for each city. I like sometimes to visit museums,
but not many in few days and they are often so bigger that they take
at least one day, and I become bored because I need time to enjoy
them.

I like to see monuments, big architectures, big squares and the city
atmospheare.

So the kind of this holiday is to see many places, because I know
anyway it's a too short time to feel myself "part of the city". But I
don't want to run, to go in a hurry and being bother with too much
train/bus/flight timetable.
I like to travel by night so I can save a day, and I think buses/train
are the best option for this. They are also good because they are more
flexible in date than flight (and I could decide to stay one day more
in such city)

Now, after some days of rest from all this fares!, i 'll begin to find
accommodation and the best way to move.
So you say it's better to go to Niagara from Toronto instead of from
NY.

I do not understand your question here. You wrote originally:
Quebec City (2)
Toronto (3)
Niagara (1)

That shows that you will go to Niagara from Toronto, yes?

I don't know if Niagara is better (=easier) from Ny or Toronto?
And Philadelphia is better from Ny or DC?

I think I will book only the flight and will buy the bus/train ticket
when I will be there, so I can be more free with dates? Are you agree?
Do you think Is it easy to find a seat with few day advance booking?

I noted there are some GREYHOUND PASS (7 DAY $ 283.00 - 15 day $
415.00 - 30DAY 522.00) with which I can go to Canada too. I don't
know if is good or maybe can be cheaper travel with special bus or
train fares, such as ticket with a certain # of advance booking days?
ANyone knows about these?

I am not sure a pass will be economical. But it is also hard to say how to
get the best fares. For example, Coach Canada runs buses directly between
Montreal and Toronto. I have seen advertisments about "$1 fares". On
their website coachcanada.com they say "as low as $10". By trying
different days, I do find some $10 one-way fares. That is very
inexpensive! But how would you find out from Europe? It is hard.

Thank you this news is very helpful (for now is bokkable till the end
of MArch but I hope they will extend the fare)

Rental companies and bus companies have many bargains. You only find out
about these bargains by seeing an advertisment on the back of a bus, or in
the newspaper. Some bargains are not available on-line, so you have to
telephone or visit their office. Of course, they hope you see their ads,
think of them, but pay their "regular" rates in the end.

It's true!
Old February 9th, 2008, 03:11 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
max11

max11 wrote:
On 6 Feb, 17:50, (Ed Treijs) wrote:

[...]

I think I will book only the flight and will buy the single bus/train
ticket
when I will be there or in advance if I will find a special fare on
the websites, so I can be more free with dates? Are you agree?
Do you think Is it easy to find a seat with few day advance booking?

Do you know if one or two days tour are worth it? For example to
Niagara or other places close to the biggest cities?

[...]

Thank you
Old February 9th, 2008, 03:18 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
J. Clarke[_2_]

Keith Willshaw wrote:
"Mark Brader" wrote in message
J. Clarke:
To be perfectly honest, this is one time when it seems to me to
make
sense to just rent a car in Boston and drive to Quebec. The
travel
time's about the same as flying and the cost including gas for a
one
way rental is about the same as the air fare and there's some
"picturesque" country in between.

I haven't tried it, but it might not be possible to rent one-way
from
the US to Canada these days.

Even if you can there's probably a hefty dropoff fee.

Alamo is showing 120.88 total for one day pick up in Boston, drop off
in Quebec. No mention of a dropoff fee. This is less than half the
air fare.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Old February 9th, 2008, 04:55 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

On Feb 9, 10:11*am, max11 wrote:

Ottawa is definitely a larger city with more going on thanQuebec.
You would have to tell us more of your interests for us to be able to
really say if you should visit Ottawa orQuebec.

I'm 28yo, I like to visit cities, walking on the streets (even if I
know spaces are bigger than European cities,so it's harder) to know
places, to breath the place air: I tkink this kind of approach takes
at least one week for each city. I like sometimes to visit museums,
but not many in few days and they are often so bigger that they take
at least one day, and I become bored because I need time to enjoy
them.
I like to see monuments, big architectures, big squares and the city
atmospheare.

Out of the four cities Toronto, Montreal, Ottawa, Quebec, I think you
will like Montreal the best. I find it's interesting to walk the
streets in Montreal in any direction. There is a huge variety of
architecture and the city is very lively.

I would still recommend Ottawa over Quebec, because you can walk along
the Rideau Canal and also along the Ottawa River. The Parliament
buildings are fairly monumental--better than the Quebec National
Assembly I think. There are also monuments like the Tomb of the
Unknown Soldier. Because Ottawa is the capital of Canada, there are
many public institutions and some monuments (Canada is not a really
monument-crazy place).

In Toronto, you will not see big squares, but there are many
neighbourhoods and commercial areas. Yonge Street is good for a ten-
kilometre walk from the waterfront to north of Eglinton. You should
also walk along Bloor St. to the west, and Danforth Ave. to the east.
Queen Street west is another walking street. And take the ferry over
to the Toronto Island. Architecture, well, there are many tall office
towers!

So the kind of this holiday is to see many places, because I know
anyway it's a too short time to feel myself "part of the city". But I
don't want to run, to go in a hurry and being bother with too much
train/bus/flight timetable.

I like walking as well, and if you have energy you can get much feel
for a city in a short time. In New York, I walked from Washington
Square up to Columbia University and 125th Street, and also down to
the Battery and rode the Staten Island Ferry. I walked over the
Brooklyn Bridge. So, my only visit to NYC was two-three days, but I
have many interesting memories of the city.

I like to travel by night so I can save a day, and I think buses/train
are the best option for this. They are also good because they are more
flexible in date than flight (and I could decide to stay one day more
in such city)

Buses are not very luxurious in North America. I know I have
difficulty sleeping on a train, and I have not tried on a bus. It is
true that you save a day (and accomodation) by travelling by night.
When I went to Shetland/Faroe I had two overnight ferry trips.

I don't know if Niagara is better (=easier) from Ny or Toronto?
And Philadelphia is better from Ny or DC?

Niagara Falls is much, much easier from Toronto than from New York
City. (Remember that "NY" can also be New York State, and Niagara
Falls is in NY state. But I think you mean the city.)
1) Two-hour drive from Toronto, probably eight or nine from NYC
2) Best views are on Ontario side--no need to cross border
3) Niagara River Parkway will be very nice in May--stop to see the
Brock Monument at Queenston Heights: http://www.friendsoffortgeorge.ca/bm.htm

I think I will book only the flight and will buy the single bus/train
ticket
when I will be there or in advance if I will find a special fare on
the websites, so I can be more free with dates? Are you agree?
Do you think Is it easy to find a seat with few day advance booking?

You are travelling between major cities. You will not have any
problems booking a bus a day or two in advance, and train should not
be bad. I have not taken intercity bus in a while, but what I remember
is that you just go to the bus station and buy a ticket and wait for
the bus.

Will you find a bargain if you wait? Maybe. If you are staying at
guesthouses or hostels, they may know what inexpensive fares are
available. It's hard for me to know because I have a car, and buses/
trains are usually not booked months in advance.

You should check what the "regular" fare is for every leg of your
trip, add them all together, and say, "this is the maxiumum cost, and
if I find a bargain it will be less". I liked transport in Faroe
because the prices are clear and do not change, so no worries. Not
like UK railway fares which are horribly complicated.

Do you know if one or two days tour are worth it? For example to
Niagara or other places close to the biggest cities?

Some walking tours may be interesting. Cities may provide a booklet
that you can follow. But I think that you can do very well by yourself
in any of the big cities. Just ask for some advice where to walk, and
go!

I don't think I would recommend the "usual" Niagara tour for you. They
normally stop at a few souvenir places and are not for real walkers.
Like I said, the Niagara area is where a rental car would make sense.

....Ed
Old February 9th, 2008, 11:20 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Keith Willshaw[_3_]

"max11" wrote in message

I like to travel by night so I can save a day, and I think buses/train
are the best option for this. They are also good because they are more
flexible in date than flight (and I could decide to stay one day more
in such city)

Not in the USA alas. There is only one train a day from NYC
to Montreal, its a daytime train and its SLOW taking 10 hours
if its on time , and it rarely is. Thats an average speed of less than
60 km /hour !

Keith

Old February 9th, 2008, 11:21 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Keith Willshaw[_3_]

"J. Clarke" wrote in message
Keith Willshaw wrote:
"Mark Brader" wrote in message
J. Clarke:
To be perfectly honest, this is one time when it seems to me to
make
sense to just rent a car in Boston and drive to Quebec. The
travel
time's about the same as flying and the cost including gas for a
one
way rental is about the same as the air fare and there's some
"picturesque" country in between.

I haven't tried it, but it might not be possible to rent one-way
from
the US to Canada these days.

Even if you can there's probably a hefty dropoff fee.

Alamo is showing 120.88 total for one day pick up in Boston, drop off
in Quebec. No mention of a dropoff fee. This is less than half the
air fare.

Thats a very good deal.

Keith

Old February 10th, 2008, 12:33 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Mark Brader

"Max":
I don't know if Niagara is better (=easier) from Ny or Toronto?

Look at a map: Niagara Falls is much closer to Toronto. By road or
train it is about 2 hours; from New York to Niagara Falls is 8-10 hours.

At Niagara Falls the river is the border, with Canada on the west side.
You can walk across via the Rainbow Bridge if you want. There are good
views of the falls from both sides, but the Canadian side has the best
overall views. I also like to recommend the White Water Walk, on the
Canadian side, where you pay to take an elevator down into the gorge
downstream (north) of the falls and walk alongside what will very
likely be the wildest river rapids you have ever seen. On the US side
you can go onto the islands between the three parts of the falls, which
are parkland. On both sides you can get close to the top of the falls
and, if you pay, to the bottom either on foot or by boat.

Trains from Toronto run to Niagara Falls twice a day and one of them
goes on to New York, and the same in reverse, which means the evening
train to Toronto is likely to run late because of delays at customs
or en route. Buses run every hour or two.

And Philadelphia is better from Ny or DC?

It's closer to New York. There are three choices of train service,
all using the same tracks, depending on your preference for higher
speed or lower cost. Amtrak has Acela Express trains scheduled to take
about 1 hour and 10 minutes, and Regional trains scheduled for about
1 hour 30 minutes. Of course, they are not guaranteed to be on time.
Or the cheap way by train is that the suburban train systems of the two
cities meet at Trenton, so you can go that way with a change of train
(New Jersey Transit, then SEPTA), taking 3 hours or more depending on
the connection. (These trains would have less comfortable seats and
no refreshments. I don't know if you have to go into the station at
Trenton to buy another ticket.)

From DC you have the two Amtrak choices, taking about 1 hour 35 minutes
for the Acela Express or 2 hours by Regional train.

There would also be bus and air options, but I would always use the train
on this route. It's the only railway in North America with a passenger
service that's comparable to a European main line.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "You don't SIT IN the traffic jam;