Barcelona, Spain Airport/Port

Old March 2nd, 2006, 10:20 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Default Barcelona, Spain Airport/Port

We are six people traveling -- the cruiseship
transfers are $50pp round trip = $300. Does
anyone know if it would be cheaper for all
six people to get to and from the airport/port
using some other transportation (cabs, etc.) I
assume some other kind of transportation
is available. ....Shirley

Old March 3rd, 2006, 03:06 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Shirley,

That seems like a lot of money, not that a cruise line would gouge you on
transfer costs. 8-(

Pam is correct that there are LOTS of cabs at the airport, however we had a
load of luggage and needed a van, and they were hard to come by, especially
since neither of us speaks Spanish.

It took a while but we eventually got to our hotel, probably for about $40.
Because we booked the hotel through the cruise line they took our luggage to
the ship and we had the concierge have a taxi waiting for us on sailaway
day.

That's all the help I can provide as our cruise ended in Fort Lauderdale.
--
DG in Cherry Hill, NJ

Old March 3rd, 2006, 02:46 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

wrote in message

We are six people traveling -- the cruiseship
transfers are $50pp round trip = $300. Does
anyone know if it would be cheaper for all
six people to get to and from the airport/port
using some other transportation (cabs, etc.) I
assume some other kind of transportation
is available. ....Shirley

Hi Shirley,

If you are going directly to the port a taxi is probably the best way. It is
a 20-30 minute trip. The earlier poster has the costs for you. Make sure
you have Euros, there is an exchange desk in the customs area.

If you have special needs or a baggage problem, stop at the airport
information desk for advise as the taxi drivers and dispatchers are not
likely to speak English. The information desk can advise you and/or write
down a message you can give to them at the taxi stand.

You could also hire a private van if your timing allows for a few hours of
tourism before arriving at the port. see http://www.barcelonataxi.com .

There is also a train at the airport which takes you downtown very
reasonably but then you just have a shorter cab ride to the port, about 10
minutes.. The train does not go to the port.

Barcelona is a wonderful city. If your plans allow, add a couple of days to
get over the jet lag and see the city!

Mike in Ohio

Old March 4th, 2006, 09:35 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

http://www.barcelona-tourist-guide.c...-transfer.html

Is an excellent guide for you!

Old March 5th, 2006, 05:00 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

wrote in message

We are six people traveling -- the cruiseship
transfers are $50pp round trip = $300. Does
anyone know if it would be cheaper for all
six people to get to and from the airport/port
using some other transportation (cabs, etc.) I
assume some other kind of transportation
is available. ....Shirley

Getting from North America to Europe in the summer is seldom inexpensive.
The least expensive way is probably to find the cheapest transatlantic
flight you can and then take one of the many European "no frill" airlines
from wherever you end up to Barcelona.

Paul

Old March 7th, 2006, 12:15 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Bill,

Paul's advice is right on target. The Euro gateway that is usually the least
expensive for North American travelers is London, but "it all depends,"
there might be a fare sale for Paris, Frankfurt, Amsterdam, etc. out of a
North American city that is convenient for you. We have used easyJet and
Ryanair to make those cheap domestic connections once in Europe, but the
catch there is (1) luggage size, weight and quantity limitations that are
sometimes difficult for cruisers & other travelers to meet, and (2) the
airports serviced by the discount carriers are sometimes so far out of the
main city, the time and expense associated with the transfer defeats the
purpose. Also, I should say, some people hate those types of airlines. We
were born and raised on Southwest, so we love 'em. But if you don't like the
"cattle call" "no free food or drink" flight model, spend the bucks to stick
with the biggies.

Before you totally give up on Barcelona, go to their airport website, poke
around until you find the list of airlines servicing the airport, better,
find the departure board and study it for non-stops back to the US. You may
find a city pairing that you had not earlier considered that would work out
well for you.

In the summer, you are looking at $750 being a deal, $1200 being too high.
Somewhere in between is what you can expect to pay, definitely under the
$1,000 mark if you are aggressive in following this issue until you strike
gold.

What we ended up doing was non-stop Houston to Madrid (or could've been
Newark to Madrid, I forget, we often have to go to NYC to catch our
international flight), from there, it's an easy flight (three different
carriers going over every 20-30 minutes for a reasonable fare) or train
ride. We actually drove, but that's another story.

Diana Ball
near Houston, TX

Old March 7th, 2006, 02:53 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

"D Ball" wrote in message
Bill,

What we ended up doing was non-stop Houston to Madrid (or could've been
Newark to Madrid, I forget, we often have to go to NYC to catch our
international flight), from there, it's an easy flight (three different
carriers going over every 20-30 minutes for a reasonable fare) or train
ride. We actually drove, but that's another story.

Diana Ball
near Houston, TX

The only non-stop (I know of) from North America to Barcelona is Delta from
JFK.

I agree regarding flying from Madrid to Barcelona (and vice versa). There
are frequent flights; usually reasonably priced. I word of warning on the
train, though. The fastest trains take over seven hours and require a
transfer. I love trains, but this is not a ride I would choose .. unless you
are thinking of a night train. There is one per day (from Madrid Chamartin)
with sleeping cars.

Paul

Old March 7th, 2006, 03:28 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Wow, Paul. Thanks for that info on the 7+ hour train ride. I guess I was
thinking the high speed had been implemented. Aren't they working on it/been
talking about it for a few years? It didn't take us 7 hours to drive. Hmmm.
I used to look at the graphical display of train journeys on bahn.de -- but
I don't see that feature tonight. Paul, you know what I'm talking about?

Diana

Old March 7th, 2006, 05:22 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

"D Ball" wrote in message
Wow, Paul. Thanks for that info on the 7+ hour train ride. I guess I was
thinking the high speed had been implemented. Aren't they working on
it/been talking about it for a few years? It didn't take us 7 hours to
drive. Hmmm. I used to look at the graphical display of train journeys on
bahn.de -- but I don't see that feature tonight. Paul, you know what I'm
talking about?

Diana

Diana:

Yes, I know the graphic display on bahn.de I can't find it either.

My guess on the 7 hours for Madrid to Barcelona is:
1) it IS a long way
2) The airlines "own" the route. This might be because both airports are
reasonable close to the city centers and the rather low price for flying
this route.

Of course, it could also be that the Castilians who run the railroad simply
don't like Catalans. The train service is particularly good to Basque
country or the Celtic North, either.

Paul