Redwood Trees

Old February 26th, 2004, 08:32 AM
Carmen L. Abruzzi

Default Redwood Trees

If I am coming to San Francisco, and want to see giant trees, where is the
best place to do this? I want to see the biggest trees for the investment
in time and such, so Australia is right out. Otherwise, please advise.

--
Carmen L. Abruzzi

Old February 26th, 2004, 12:27 PM
Canada Jane

Originally posted by Carmen L. Abruzzi
If I am coming

to San Francisco, and want to see giant trees, where is the
best place

to do this? I want to see the biggest trees for the investment
in

time and such, so Australia is right out. Otherwise, please advise.

--
Carmen L. Abruzzi

You should go to Mariposa Grove
which is part of Yosemite National Park. Here you can see hundreds of
Giant Sequoia trees which are truly amazing.

You can drive easily from
San Francisco and there are plenty of places to stay overnight either in
Yosemite itself or a nearby town. We stayed in Mariposa town.

When you
get to the Grove you can park up and catch a tour trolley from the car
park, they leave reguarly. On this you will be taken round all of the
park and the tour guide will give you all the details of tree heights,
stories etc. All very interesting. The trolley stops off many times for
you to wander round and you can get off and stop at a location, then
get on the next trolley to resume your tour. There are lots of info
points along the way.

If you fancy it, you can also hike the Grove
yourself in some of the many trails available.

I would highly recommend
going here and whilst here you should also visit Yosemite itself, this
is a truly superb place.

If you don't want to travel to
Yosemite/Mariposa then the other option is Muir Woods, which is a few
miles north of San Francisco (over the Golden Gate Bridge). Here you can
see some sequoia trees, but they are not so tall or indeed plentiful as
Mariposa. Muir is what is says - a woods, a very nice place but not a
patch on Mariposa.

Hope this info helps
Jane

Old February 26th, 2004, 05:20 PM
Frank F. Matthews

You first have to decide if you want to go for height (Coast Redwoods)
or girth/volume (sequoia). The tall trees are close to SF the big ones
are south of Fresno. FFM

Old February 26th, 2004, 05:30 PM
Juliana L Holm

I don't know if these are the biggest trees, but Muir Woods is very close
to San Francisco.

Julie

**********
http://www.dragonsholm.org/travel.htm
Old February 26th, 2004, 06:31 PM
Ken

Juliana L Holm wrote in :
I don't know if these are the biggest trees, but Muir Woods is very close
to San Francisco.

If you want to see coastal redwoods, I prefer Big Basin State Park (near
Santa Cruz) too Muir Woods. Big Basin is much less crowded and more
spacious. If you go to Muir Woods, get there early or the parking lot might
be full.

As others have said, the giant sequoia trees are wider, though shorter than
the coast redwoods. You can find the giant sequoia trees in several state
and national parks in eastern California, including Yosemite (which is worth
visiting for other reasons, too).
Old February 27th, 2004, 06:47 AM
Don

Frank F. Matthews wrote:

You first have to decide if you want to go for height (Coast Redwoods)
or girth/volume (sequoia). The tall trees are close to SF the big ones
are south of Fresno. FFM

Not true. Calaveras Big Trees State Park just east of Angels Camp on
Hiway 4 has lots of Giant Sequoias. It would be the closest place to SF
to see these trees. A fairly easy day trip if you leave early in the
morning.

Don in Tracy, Calif.
Old February 27th, 2004, 06:47 AM
alohacyberian

"Juliana L Holm" wrote in message
I don't know if these are the biggest trees, but Muir Woods is very close
to San Francisco.

Julie

The tallest redwoods are along the Pacific Coast, the largest are the giant
sequoia trees as they are larger in diameter. KM
--
(-:alohacyberian:-) At my website there are 3000 live cameras or
visit NASA, play games, read jokes, send greeting cards & connect