Flying from Amsterdam to Switzerland (visa needed?)

Old January 29th, 2004, 12:26 AM
Just Me

Default Flying from Amsterdam to Switzerland (visa needed?)

When flying from Amsterdam, does a Canadian need anything other than a
passport to enter Switzerland?

What is customs like at the Bern airport (or do you even go through
customs when coming in on a flight from AMS?)
Old January 29th, 2004, 04:09 AM
John Bermont

Just Me wrote:
When flying from Amsterdam, does a Canadian need anything other than a
passport to enter Switzerland?

What is customs like at the Bern airport (or do you even go through
customs when coming in on a flight from AMS?)

Answer to the second Q:
Switzerland has probably the most tightly controlled borders in Europe.
You are subject to passport and customs inspection at every entry.

For the first Q, call the nearest Swiss consulate and ask if a visa is
required of Canadians. Or more probably, one of your countrymen will
respond here.

John Bermont
http://www.enjoy-europe.com

Old January 29th, 2004, 04:16 AM
+GF+

The Bern-Belp airport is for very small commuter type airlines. I don't
know if it has a passport control....

Do you have tickets? What airline?

Old January 29th, 2004, 05:03 AM
J-@-ck

Just Me a écrit:

When flying from Amsterdam, does a Canadian need anything other than a
passport to enter Switzerland?

No
What is customs like at the Bern airport (or do you even go through
customs when coming in on a flight from AMS?)

A small airport with a "light" custom ...it's not Miami !

--
Jacques Virchaux L'esprit c'est comme le parachute,
pour qu'il fonctionne bien il doit

Old January 29th, 2004, 05:45 AM
freeda

Just Me wrote:
When flying from Amsterdam, does a Canadian need anything other than a
passport to enter Switzerland?

What is customs like at the Bern airport (or do you even go through
customs when coming in on a flight from AMS?)

Answer to the second Q:
Switzerland has probably the most tightly controlled borders in Europe.
You are subject to passport and customs inspection at every entry.

Last time I entered Switzerland, on the Land border from Konstanz, all there
was was a sign saying customs and absolutely nobody there.

Old January 29th, 2004, 06:28 AM
Sjoerd

"Just Me" schreef in bericht ...

When flying from Amsterdam, does a Canadian need anything other than a
passport to enter Switzerland?

Yes. Clothes.

What is customs like at the Bern airport (or do you even go through
customs when coming in on a flight from AMS?)

Yes, you will go through immigration and customs, which is very quick and
easy in Switzerland.

Sjoerd

Old January 29th, 2004, 06:31 AM
Sjoerd

"John Bermont" schreef in bericht

Switzerland has probably the most tightly controlled borders in Europe.

Not at all. In my last 10 trips to Switzerland (by car), I was waved through
9 times, our passports were inspected just once, and luggage was never
inspected.

You are subject to passport and customs inspection at every entry.

Theoretically, yes. In practice, no.

Sjoerd

Old January 29th, 2004, 07:42 AM
Miguel Cruz

"John Bermont" wrote:
Switzerland has probably the most tightly controlled borders in Europe.
You are subject to passport and customs inspection at every entry.

How does it stack up against Kaliningrad?

miguel
--
Hundreds of travel photos from around the world: http://travel.u.nu/
Old January 29th, 2004, 10:16 AM
Vitaly Shmatikov

In article ,
John Bermont wrote:

Switzerland has probably the most tightly controlled borders in Europe.
You are subject to passport and customs inspection at every entry.

Hm. The first time I entered Switzerland was by mistake. I was
looking for my baggage and opened a wrong door in the French section
of the Geneva airport and accidentally ended up in the Swiss section
(there was some kind of booth, but it was fairly late in the evening
and the booth was empty). The second and third times were on the
highway from the airport, which weaves in and out of Switzerland.
We were stopped once, but the guy didn't bother to check our passports.
The fourth through fourteenth (I think) time I crossed the Swiss border
by skiing down some slope and discovering that the snack shop at the
bottom has prices marked in SFr. The fifteenth time was when I took
a public bus to Geneva, and that was when I was indeed subjected to
passport and customs inspection at some gate in the middle of the city,
Checkpoint Charlie-style.

All in all, Switzerland cannot hold a candle to, say, Polish-Russian
border.

Old January 29th, 2004, 11:13 AM
/

+GF+ wrote:

The Bern-Belp airport is for very small commuter type airlines. I don't
know if it has a passport control....

It does. I've been there...
It is a small compact airport though. I do not think I walked more than 100m
from the bus stop to the door of the plane...

Krist