DIY snorkeling at Trunk Bay?

Old March 7th, 2006, 05:39 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises

Default DIY snorkeling at Trunk Bay?

I know there are shore tour packages for this, and I assume you can
arrange something in advance thru an independant operator. However,
I'd like to know if the snorkel trail is right off the beach so we
could just show up with our own gear, or is it a short boat ride out to
a reef that requires going with a group?

If we had to go with a group, is there any chance of just showing up at
the beach and finding a snorkel tour guide, or do we really have to
plan this in advance?

Christopher

Old March 8th, 2006, 01:51 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

In article .com,
wrote:

However, I'd like to know if the snorkel trail is right off the
beach so we could just show up with our own gear, or is it a short
boat ride out to a reef that requires going with a group?

You can just show uo with your own gear. It is off the beach.

--
Charles
Old March 8th, 2006, 02:58 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises

wrote in message
oups.com...
I know there are shore tour packages for this, and I assume you can
arrange something in advance thru an independant operator. However,
I'd like to know if the snorkel trail is right off the beach so we
could just show up with our own gear, or is it a short boat ride out to
a reef that requires going with a group?

If we had to go with a group, is there any chance of just showing up at
the beach and finding a snorkel tour guide, or do we really have to
plan this in advance?

Christopher

The snorkel trail at Trunk Bay isn't any great shakes... it's the coral
reefs around the 2 rocky areas out in the water that are totally
magnificent. As is the color of the water. An amazing pale green color.

It's about... oh, I'm guessing... a 30-50 yard swim to the rocky areas.

Trunk Bay is part of a US National Park (Virgin Islands National Park).
There is a park admission fee there.

The way to get there is do it on your own. Take a taxi from the ship to Red
Hook. Take the ferry to St. John (they leave on the hour, and take about 18
minutes or so). Then take a taxi to Trunk Bay from the dock on St. John.

They do rent gear at the park, but I recommend bringing your own (who knows
who had the snorkel in their mouth last... Hep B, Influenza, Norwalk
Virus... etc.).

--Tom