Cheap air travel within europe

Old February 11th, 2004, 12:29 PM
Joe

Default Cheap air travel within europe

I am from the United States, and my wife, child and myself, plan to
travel to Europe in June. I have most of my trip planned, except for
the travel from Rome to Frankfurt. I have looked at the ryanair's very
appealing price structure. However, I have also read that ryanair is
not very dependable, which could be very troublesome for us. I seek
advice, should I perhaps travel by train, consuming considerable
amount of vacation time or should I consider the scenery I would miss.
Certainly, I would like to balance cost, time spent traveling while
enjoying the scenery and local culture. Could someone please give me
pros and cons. Thank you.

Joe
Old February 11th, 2004, 02:26 PM
tile

there is a low cost airline in Holland
there are 4 or 5 low cost airlines in germany
even SAS has a low cost subsidiary ( Snowflakes)
then there is a low cost in Slovakia.
there is also virgin express. and a few more from england and ireland.
as far as I hear. ryan air is relyable.
om...

Old February 11th, 2004, 02:35 PM
B Vaughan

On 11 Feb 2004 03:29:52 -0800, (Joe) wrote:

I am from the United States, and my wife, child and myself, plan to
travel to Europe in June. I have most of my trip planned, except for
the travel from Rome to Frankfurt. I have looked at the ryanair's very
appealing price structure. However, I have also read that ryanair is
not very dependable, which could be very troublesome for us. I seek
advice, should I perhaps travel by train, consuming considerable
amount of vacation time or should I consider the scenery I would miss.
Certainly, I would like to balance cost, time spent traveling while
enjoying the scenery and local culture. Could someone please give me
pros and cons. Thank you.

I have travelled a number of times with Ryanair and have had
absolutely no problems with them. The worst I might expect is that
sometimes their flights might leave a little late. Since you will be
on vacation, there are no appointments you have to keep, and I
wouldn't consider this to be a grave risk.

Don't expect to be able to change anything about your ticket once
you've bought it. You won't be allowed to switch to a different flight
or modify the name of one of the passengers. Ryanair doesn't guarantee
connections, but you don't seem to have any on your proposed trip.

There is some very nice scenery outside the train window as you pass
through the Alps, but it is a very long trip and a good deal of the
scenery is the sort that you usually see through train windows:
boxcars, sidings, and factories.
-----------
Barbara Vaughan
My email address is my first initial followed by my surname at libero dot it
Old February 11th, 2004, 03:34 PM
Freda

Remember that the trains in Europe do travel at a fairly fast speed
Local trains up to 100kms/hr
Intercity trains up to 160Kms/hr and the high speed ones go 300Kms/hr
You can spenmd an awful amount of time getting to and from airoports
which can be weighed against the slower travel portion
Also you see a lot of the countrside whilst in the trains.
Rome to Paris is High speed
Paris to Frankfurt you can go via the "Thalys" red highspeed train
through Belgium or use the ICE through Strasbourg or ICE through
Mannheim Paris to Frankfurt using the ordinary train takes about
8 hrs from memory.

Freda

--
Please reply to the list as my email address is a fake
om...

Old February 11th, 2004, 04:21 PM
Dr. Paul Sanschagrin

In article ,
(Joe) writes:
I am from the United States, and my wife, child and myself, plan to
travel to Europe in June. I have most of my trip planned, except for
the travel from Rome to Frankfurt. I have looked at the ryanair's very
appealing price structure. However, I have also read that ryanair is
not very dependable, which could be very troublesome for us. I seek
advice, should I perhaps travel by train, consuming considerable
amount of vacation time or should I consider the scenery I would miss.
Certainly, I would like to balance cost, time spent traveling while
enjoying the scenery and local culture. Could someone please give me
pros and cons. Thank you.

Joe

I flown with Ryanair several times (6) to and from "Frankfurt". (Once
to Rome.) I've never had any problems with them, but as others have
said, they allow no changes on any tickets, do not guarantee
connections, and don't provide any "extras" (like snack, drinks, or
assigned seats). I did have a problem in Gothenborg when the plan
couldn't land due to fog, but they bussed us to another airport
further inland where the incoming plane had landed. Other than a long
delay, everything was fine. One thing to be wary of is that they have
a small baggage allowance (1 piece checked, 15 kgs and 1 piece
carry-on, 7 kgs). They also don't fly to the "normal" Rome or
Frankfurt airports. In the case of Rome, they fly to Ciampino, which
is a ~30 min bus ride to Termini. The bus is timed to coincide with
flights and costs (IIRC, Feb 2003) EUR 8. In Frankfurt, they fly to
Hahn which is a 1 hour, 45 minute, EUR 12 ride from the main
station. (Hence the quotes around Frankfurt above.) Keeping these in
mind, my wife and I did elect to fly them as it's a long (14+ hours)
and expensive (EUR 175) train ride. Also, check into Volareweb
(
http://www.volareweb.com) which flies Rome-Berlin, Milan-Berlin, or
Venice-Frankfurt (also Hahn).

Whatever you decide, enjoy your trip,
Paul
--
++ A random selection of quotes ++
Science has to suffer when the know-nothings come traipsing through
Old February 11th, 2004, 04:51 PM
Frank Hucklenbroich

On 11 Feb 2004 03:29:52 -0800, Joe wrote:

I am from the United States, and my wife, child and myself, plan to
travel to Europe in June. I have most of my trip planned, except for
the travel from Rome to Frankfurt. I have looked at the ryanair's very
appealing price structure. However, I have also read that ryanair is
not very dependable, which could be very troublesome for us.

You might consider Germanwings instead, that is also a low-cost carrier,
it's more realiable than Ryanair (though a bit more expencive) and goes
from Rome to Cologne. From Cologne it's only about 2 hours by train to
Frankfurt airport (remember taht Ryanair does not go to Frankfurt itself,
but to the town of "Hahn", it's also at least one hour from there to the
city of Frankfurt).
http://www23.germanwings.com/index.en.shtml

Alternatively you can check Hapag Lloyd Express:
http://www.hlx.com/en/index.html
They also go from Rome to Cologne.

Regards,

Frank
Old February 11th, 2004, 04:58 PM
Mark Hewitt

"Joe" wrote in message
om...
I am from the United States, and my wife, child and myself, plan to
travel to Europe in June. I have most of my trip planned, except for
the travel from Rome to Frankfurt. I have looked at the ryanair's very
appealing price structure. However, I have also read that ryanair is
not very dependable, which could be very troublesome for us. I seek
advice, should I perhaps travel by train, consuming considerable
amount of vacation time or should I consider the scenery I would miss.
Certainly, I would like to balance cost, time spent traveling while
enjoying the scenery and local culture. Could someone please give me
pros and cons. Thank you.

Worst that usually happens is you end up a few hours late. However beware
the airport Ryainair serves to Frankfurt is a long distance from the city
centre, check maps and transfer info before you decide.

Old February 11th, 2004, 05:32 PM
bigbrian

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004 14:35:04 +0100, B wrote:

[...]

Actually, you can do both. There's a fee (£10/€15 to change flights or
£15/€25 to change the name. In both cases you also have to pay any
difference between what you paid for your ticket at the time you
bought it, and the current price of the flight you want to change to,
(even if its just a change of name for the same flight)

Brian