Sheraton Lincoln Harbor Hotel to NYC

Old August 23rd, 2009, 01:10 AM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel,rec.travel.usa-canada
Sancho Panza[_1_]

Default Sheraton Lincoln Harbor Hotel to NYC

On 2009-08-21 22:14:25 -0400, "Sancho Panza"
said:

"ARL" wrote in message
We are mature couple from San Francisco.
We are taking our vacation in New York City on October 26 to Nov 1.
Please recommend 3 star hotel that is near the subway stations in Queens
or Brooklyn or NJ that is reasonably priced?

We are considering to stay at the Sheraton Lincoln Harbor Hotel in
Weehawken, NJ on the Hudson.
But there is no MTA subway to that area, correct?
Everyday, we have to take the Waterway Ferry from the Lincoln Harbor
terminal to West 39th Street Midtown at $7.75 per person? How can we get
from this 39th Street Ferry Terminal to the MTA subway?

Thank you for your help.

The Sheraton is quite a nice establishment. It has inclusive packages for
the ferry, which runs up to 10:50 p.m. and includes free bus shuttles to
nearby terminal at Port Imperiale. On the Manhattan side, more than a
dozen free bus routes circulatefrequently through midtown and downtown
Manhattan. The ferry also runs to Pier 11 on the East River, near what is
left of the South Streeet Seaport. In addition to the Sheraton's
informative Web site, here is one of the more relevant URL's:
http://www.nywaterway.com/Home/Ridet...ule.aspx?ID=99

And

senior rates on transportation usually start at 62 in New Jersey.

So if they are out past eleven PM, whats it going to cost to get home
safely?

A cab would be fifty bucks.

It will cost $1.15 for a 10- to 12-minute ride to the Lincoln Harbor station
on the No. 126 which runs until 2 a.m. Or if they're really late birds, they
can catch the 5:30 a.m.

Old August 23rd, 2009, 01:14 AM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel,rec.travel.usa-canada
Sancho Panza[_1_]

On 2009-08-20 19:09:54 -0400, "ARL" said:
Have you tried Orbitz.com or Hotels.com?

Yes, Slim. We have tried many internet booking sites and read-contribute
TripAdvisors religiously.
However, the major problems these internet booking sites, they require
you to PAY now.
Almost impossible to make any changes or cancellations. We certainly like
to know and want to pick up better deal when late October get closer.
Don't you agree?

Always look for a better deal....I agree.

But PLEASE don't stay in Noo Joisey. It can take you an hour or more late
night to get back to your hotel.

In reality, it's 10 to 12 minutes. See below.

Old August 23rd, 2009, 01:24 AM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel,rec.travel.usa-canada
Sancho Panza[_1_]

"Michael Finfer" wrote in message
if you take the light rail, you have to change to PATH in Hoboken, which is
not a terribly convenient transfer,

The light rail platforms are over at the side of the same Hoboken terminal.

and you might have trouble finding your way on your first time through
there, but once you figure out where to go you'll be OK.

Granted. But per capita, Hoboken has a lot more assistance available for
travelers than Penn Station in Manhattan.

Old August 23rd, 2009, 02:58 AM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
Peter T. Daniels[_2_]

On 2009-08-20 21:17:33 -0400, Cyrus Afzali said:

It costs that much just to get into a taxi. Be aware that a long
taxi ride can cost a significant amount of money, and that the meter
continues to rack up charges even when you're stopped in traffic.
Not to mention the fact that, as my wife jokes, I seem to have a near
death experience every time I agree to a taxi ride in New York, which
is something that I try to avoid like the plague!

Michael Finfer
Bridgewater, NJ

Say, typical weekday evening, taxi from SoHo to Times Square, how much
taxi fare you are talking about?

I assume the same subway distances fare is around few dollars, right?
Is there tourist type Manhattan subway fare package? such as 5 day
unlimited rides type of pass? How much?

There are a few discounted Metrocards:

http://www.mta.info/metrocard/

Things to know:
Pay Per Ride:

For example, a $20 purchase gives you $23 on your card.
Bus and subway rides deduct $2.25 for each passenger, one swipe at a
time.
The pay per ride allows up to four people at the same time to ride.
Transfers to and from buses require only one swipe for the party.
It's also good on the PATH ($1.75 per person), but no transfers are
given to NYC buses or subway, if you start on PATH from NJ.

Don't use your MetroCard on PATH. A 10-ride PATH card is $13.00. A 20-
ride card for $26 will give two people five round trips.

Unlimited rides (one, seven, and thirty days, but I guess the one day or
week would be OK for you):

The single day and week long unlimited may only be used by one
person at a time, so each in your party must have their own card.
They are NOT good on PATH.
The time starts when you first use the card.
Daily cards are good until 3:00am the next day and weekly cards are
good until midnight seven days later.

To decide which to buy, figure out how many rides you expect to take. I
suppose if you plan many rides, the $27 seven day might be good, even if
you're here for a few days. One day cards cost $8.25, so even three
days at five rides a day, you're ahead. But remember no PATH rides with
these and each of you needs your own card.

Old August 23rd, 2009, 03:21 AM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
Michael Finfer

Peter T. Daniels wrote:

Newark Penn is 20 minutes on PATH from World Trade and 15 minutes on a
good day from Penn Station on NJ Transit. NJT is more expensive ($4 one
way and $7.00 round trip-non-rush hours only). You can get to 33rd St.
on PATH from Newark, but you have to change trains at Journal Square,
and it's a slow ride, about 50 minutes.

JSQ to 33 is 20 minutes tops. Late-nights and weekends you detour
through Hoboken, which adds 10-15 min.

I made a trip from Newark to 33rd while the WTC station was closed,
direct with no transfer. It took 50 minutes.

Michael Finfer
Bridgewater, NJ
Old August 23rd, 2009, 03:25 AM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel,rec.travel.usa-canada
Michael Finfer

ATM wrote:
"John Levine" wrote in message

If you're coming from Boston, Hartford, or New London, the Amtrak
train is a reasonable alternative. You can take a taxi from Penn
Station to a hotel anywhere in midtown and not pay a huge amount.
From New Haven or points south there's the MTA commuter train to
Grand Central, which also has taxis.

Is there commuter train or bus from Boston to Hartford, Connecticut to
Manhattan?

I assume it will be nightmare to take Manhattan MTA subway with lugguages?

MBTA, the Boston commuter rail, goes as far as Providence. Shore Line
East has limited service from New Haven to New London, and better
service to Old Saybrook. You'd be turning a simple Amtrak trip into a
four train trip (you'd have to change to Metro-North at New Haven).
Without looking at the schedules, I'd guess it would take forever.

Michael Finfer
Bridgewater, NJ
Old August 23rd, 2009, 03:27 AM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
Michael Finfer

Slim wrote:
On 2009-08-20 21:17:33 -0400, Cyrus Afzali said:
[...]

Don't forget that you have to pay $5.00 for the SmartLink card. He may
be better off using MetroCard. He can use
www.metrocardbonuscalculator.com to figure out how much to put on it.

Michael Finfer
Bridgewater, NJ
Old August 23rd, 2009, 03:27 AM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
Joseph D. Korman

On 2009-08-20 21:17:33 -0400, Cyrus Afzali said:

[...]

This is for a person who will be in the Metro area for a few days. They
may not be here long enough to ride 10 times on PATH.

| Joseph D. Korman |
| |
| Visit The JoeKorNer at |
| http://www.thejoekorner.com |
|-------------------------------------------------|
| The light at the end of the tunnel ... |
| may be a train going the other way! |
| Brooklyn Tech Grads build things that work!('66)|
|-------------------------------------------------|
| All outgoing E-mail is scanned by NAV |
Old August 23rd, 2009, 03:33 AM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel,rec.travel.usa-canada
Michael Finfer

On 2009-08-20 21:17:33 -0400, Cyrus Afzali said:

It costs that much just to get into a taxi. Be aware that a long taxi
ride can cost a significant amount of money, and that the meter
continues to rack up charges even when you're stopped in traffic. Not
to mention the fact that, as my wife jokes, I seem to have a near
death experience every time I agree to a taxi ride in New York, which
is something that I try to avoid like the plague!

Michael Finfer
Bridgewater, NJ

Say, typical weekday evening, taxi from SoHo to Times Square, how much
taxi fare you are talking about?

I assume the same subway distances fare is around few dollars, right?
Is there tourist type Manhattan subway fare package? such as 5 day
unlimited rides type of pass? How much?

The subway is a flat $2.25 (discounted to about $1.96 if you put at
least $8 on a card each time) which includes a free transfer to/from a
bus line if necessary. Taxis are $2.50 to start, 40 cents for each 1/5
mile and 40 cents for each 60 seconds at less than 12 MPH, plus 50 cents
per ride from 8 PM to 6 AM and $1 per ride Mon-Fri from 4 PM to 8 PM.

You need to decide what's best for you for each trip.

Michael Finfer
Bridgewater, NJ
Old August 23rd, 2009, 06:54 AM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel,rec.travel.usa-canada
slim

On 2009-08-21 22:14:25 -0400, "Sancho Panza" said:

"ARL" wrote in message
[...]

And if they are in Mid-Manhattan, where do they get the 126?

In the scuzzhole known as the Port Authority Bus Terminal?

--
"A nickel isn't worth a dime today." - Y. Berra