Edinburgh hotels -day rate?

Old June 19th, 2017, 11:15 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
-hh

Default Edinburgh hotels -day rate?

On Monday, June 19, 2017 at 4:49:28 AM UTC-4, S Viemeister wrote:
On 6/18/2017 9:44 PM, -hh wrote:
On Sunday, June 18, 2017 at 7:47:46 AM UTC-4, S Viemeister wrote:
On 6/17/2017 10:12 PM, -hh wrote:
IIRC, there's a Hilton group property near the airport which may serve your purposes.

Thanks, I'll look into that.

FWIW, the others have mentioned asking about a 'day rate' ... one thing that
virtually any hotel will do, even if they don't have a formal day rate, is to let
you book a room for the night prior to your arrival - - yes, full cost.

What you put on the reservation is that you're going to have an extremely
late arrival ... i.e., the next morning.

This can get expensive, but it is one way to guarantee a room before normal check-in times.

Unfortunately, though, most places have a fairly early check-out time,
which means paying for TWO nights, but only staying for a few hours.
She was trying to avoid that.

Oh, I'm quite aware that it means paying for two nights and isn't cost effective.

My point was merely that this is a way to get a room as desired even if the
hotel's policy is that they do not offer 'day room' rates.

-hh
Old June 19th, 2017, 09:30 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jack Campin

In article ,
S Viemeister wrote:

On 6/18/2017 7:58 PM, Jack Campin wrote:
What is needed, is a _very_ early check-in - her flight arrives at
breakfast time, and she needs a place to dump her bags and rest for a
bit, before catching a train in the afternoon. The hotels I've used in
Edinburgh don't offer such an early check-in.

This is a similar requirement as for an adulterer's hotel.

Umm...
Not quite what I was looking for.

I recall a news story a few years ago that rated the Best
Western in Lauriston Place as one of the best hotels in
Britain to have an affair in.

Does that mean that they offer day rates?

Yes, if the article I read was right. That was the whole point of
my posting. The hotel isn't going to care WHY you want to book a
room in the middle of the day.

mobile 07895 860 060 http://www.campin.me.uk Twitter: JackCampin
Old June 19th, 2017, 11:29 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
S Viemeister[_2_]

On 6/19/2017 4:30 PM, Jack Campin wrote:

Yes, if the article I read was right. That was the whole point of
my posting. The hotel isn't going to care WHY you want to book a
room in the middle of the day.

Thanks, Jack.
It's many years since I lived in Edinburgh - is that hotel in a
reasonably safe/respectable area? (The room is for my daughter.)

Old June 20th, 2017, 01:15 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jack Campin

[Best Western, Lauriston Place; daytime bookings]
Yes, if the article I read was right. That was the whole point of
my posting. The hotel isn't going to care WHY you want to book a
room in the middle of the day.

It's many years since I lived in Edinburgh - is that hotel in a
reasonably safe/respectable area? (The room is for my daughter.)

Yes. It's next to the remaining medical buildings of the old Royal
Infirmary. There's another hotel across the street. Tollcross is
a couple of minutes walk west, and that does get a bit rowdy late
at night - I used to live there - but no problem during the day.
Eastwards you've got the luxury flats that used to be the Royal
Infirmary and George Heriot's School.

mobile 07895 860 060 http://www.campin.me.uk Twitter: JackCampin
Old June 20th, 2017, 04:14 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
S Viemeister[_2_]

On 6/19/2017 8:15 PM, Jack Campin wrote:
[Best Western, Lauriston Place; daytime bookings]
Yes, if the article I read was right. That was the whole point of
my posting. The hotel isn't going to care WHY you want to book a
room in the middle of the day.

It's many years since I lived in Edinburgh - is that hotel in a
reasonably safe/respectable area? (The room is for my daughter.)

Yes. It's next to the remaining medical buildings of the old Royal
Infirmary. There's another hotel across the street. Tollcross is
a couple of minutes walk west, and that does get a bit rowdy late
at night - I used to live there - but no problem during the day.
Eastwards you've got the luxury flats that used to be the Royal
Infirmary and George Heriot's School.

Thank you - I'm a nervous parent.
I was born nearby, but I know there have been many changes in recent years.

Old June 20th, 2017, 04:15 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
S Viemeister[_2_]

On 6/20/2017 5:42 AM, Martin wrote:

It's worth remembering that Best Western is a franchise system. You get a better
deal and more flexibility with the individual hotels than you get via the Best
Western website.

I'll suggest that to her.

Old June 20th, 2017, 11:16 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
S Viemeister[_2_]

On 6/20/2017 5:49 PM, Martin wrote:

On 6/20/2017 5:42 AM, Martin wrote:
It's worth remembering that Best Western is a franchise system. You get a better
deal and more flexibility with the individual hotels than you get via the Best
Western website.

I'll suggest that to her.

I've booked a room in a Best Western hotel in England for July. On BW website
if I wanted a room that I could cancel at anytime until 14:00 on the day we will
arrive, the room cost about £100 (20%) more. Booking the room directly by
phoning the hotel there is no extra charge for cancellation in addition the
basic room charge was a bit less.

I've passed that on to her.
Old June 20th, 2017, 11:34 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jack Campin

[Best Western, Lauriston Place, Edinburgh]
It's many years since I lived in Edinburgh - is that hotel in a
reasonably safe/respectable area? (The room is for my daughter.)

Yes. It's next to the remaining medical buildings of the old Royal
Infirmary. There's another hotel across the street. Tollcross is
a couple of minutes walk west, and that does get a bit rowdy late
at night - I used to live there - but no problem during the day.
Eastwards you've got the luxury flats that used to be the Royal
Infirmary and George Heriot's School.

The other thing I should have mentioned - it's on the number 35 bus
route, which leaves from the airport. Much slower than the no. 100
fast bus, because it detours through business parks on the western
edge of the city, but if you figure in only having to walk across
the street rather than half a mile up and over the Royal Mile, it'll
take about the same time. Lothian Buses website has good timetables.

mobile 07895 860 060 http://www.campin.me.uk Twitter: JackCampin
Old June 21st, 2017, 01:00 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
S Viemeister[_2_]

On 6/20/2017 6:34 PM, Jack Campin wrote:
[...]

Thank you!!!
She was moaning about the walk up there, after her red-eye flight,
dragging her bags with her. I'll text her with that info now.