OT - U.S. skinniest cities list

Old July 22nd, 2006, 06:56 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
JP[_1_]

Default OT - U.S. skinniest cities list

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/money...p25s/skinniest....

Skinniest Cities
Here are the cities where residents have the lowest average body mass
Rank City Body mass index
1 Roseville, CA 24.5
2 San Francisco, CA 24.8
3 Houston, TX 24.8
4 Missouri City, TX 24.8
5 Sugar Land, TX 24.8
6 Boulder, CO 24.8
7 Longmont, CO 24.8
8 Highlands Ranch, CO 24.9
9 San Rafael, CA 25.2
10 Santa Fe, NM 25.2

Old July 22nd, 2006, 10:52 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Henry Law

JP wrote:
http://money.cnn.com/magazines/money...p25s/skinniest....

Skinniest Cities

3 Houston, TX 24.8

Eh?

http://www.mensfitness.com/rankings/272
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/...n1043208.shtml
.... and even CNN themselves
http://www.cnn.com/2003/HEALTH/diet....eut/index.html

And your link doesn't resolve either.

--

Henry Law Manchester, England
Old July 23rd, 2006, 08:39 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
JP[_1_]

Henry Law wrote:
JP wrote:
http://money.cnn.com/magazines/money...p25s/skinniest....

Skinniest Cities

3 Houston, TX 24.8

Eh?

http://www.mensfitness.com/rankings/272
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/...n1043208.shtml

Men's Fitness Magazine is basically the men's version of Cosmo. Why
don't you read how they got that list -- things like number of
restaurants, number of sporting good stores, etc... not very
scientific.
The Money/CNN list was based on BMIs from a sample of the population.
CDC data also considers BMIs. Obviously the list is different -- and
probably more accurate, that way.

Old July 24th, 2006, 04:01 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Matt B

On 23 Jul 2006 12:39:59 -0700, "JP" wrote:

Henry Law wrote:
JP wrote:
http://money.cnn.com/magazines/money...p25s/skinniest....

Skinniest Cities

3 Houston, TX 24.8

Eh?

http://www.mensfitness.com/rankings/272
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/...n1043208.shtml

Men's Fitness Magazine is basically the men's version of Cosmo. Why
don't you read how they got that list -- things like number of
restaurants, number of sporting good stores, etc... not very
scientific.
The Money/CNN list was based on BMIs from a sample of the population.
CDC data also considers BMIs. Obviously the list is different -- and
probably more accurate, that way.

Never trust a magazine that includes sentences such as this:

"Houstonians are playing far less sports than last year"

If they can't afford to employ journalists who are able to use correct
English, then they can't afford to undertake accurate surveys either.

Matt
Old July 28th, 2006, 04:02 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
JP[_1_]

Henry Law wrote:
JP wrote:
[...]

Like I said, Men's Fitness Magazine is garbage.

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/money...skinniest.html

Old August 5th, 2006, 03:26 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Paul E. Lehmann

"Is our children learning"

GWB - former Houstonian

Houston, and Texas in general - NOT the intellectual hot spot of the nation.

Old August 8th, 2006, 05:25 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Sapphyre

The average BMI is almost 25? For most females, that's overweight...
When my BMI was 24, I needed to go on a diet because of health
concerns. Despite what statistics say, I think males can get away with
a higher BMI without health problems or being classified as
"overweight" or "obese".

But I still think considering a BMI of 25 as "low" is generally a
pretty scary principle. At the same time, you don't want to know the
average BMI where I work...

S.

Old August 8th, 2006, 11:43 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Icono Clast

Sapphyre wrote:
But I still think considering a BMI of 25 as "low" is generally a
pretty scary principle.

I've never heard of anyone calling a BMI greater than 24.9 "low". In
fact, I've never heard of anyone calling a BMI greater than 18.4
"low". Mine is usually around 24.1 but sometimes gets up to 25.6. I
consider myself to be fat. For me, I consider anything greater than
23.2 to be overweight but the charts say anything greater 24.9 is
"overweight" and 25.9 "obese". 18.5 to 24.9 is considered to be
"healthy", not "low"; 18.4 and lesser is "underweight".

San Francisco 24.8

Guess m'fellow citizens are rather hefty.

-- __________________________________________________ ______________
A San Franciscan in (where else?) San Francisco.
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ --- http://geocities.com/iconoc/
ICQ: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/19098103 ------- IClast at Gmail com

Old August 17th, 2006, 12:32 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
JP[_1_]

Paul E. Lehmann wrote:
"Is our children learning"

GWB - former Houstonian

Actually he grew up in small towns around TX, and only lived in Houston
for a short time. He's a country boy.

Houston, and Texas in general - NOT the intellectual hot spot of the nation.

Let's see, Houston has the Texas Medical Center (largest grouping of
hospitals and medical research in the world, many of these facilities
are in the top in the nation), NASA HQ for manned space flight, and
more fortune 500 companies than any city other than New York City.

Doctors, biomedical researchers, rocket scientists, heads of huge
companies.... not exactly a bunch of dummies.

Shows how little you know about Houston....

Old August 17th, 2006, 09:46 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Alohacyberian

"JP" wrote in message
oups.com...
Paul E. Lehmann wrote:
"Is our children learning"

GWB - former Houstonian

Actually he grew up in small towns around TX, and only lived in Houston
for a short time. He's a country boy.

Houston, and Texas in general - NOT the intellectual hot spot of the
nation.

Let's see, Houston has the Texas Medical Center (largest grouping of
hospitals and medical research in the world, many of these facilities
are in the top in the nation), NASA HQ for manned space flight, and
more fortune 500 companies than any city other than New York City.

Doctors, biomedical researchers, rocket scientists, heads of huge
companies.... not exactly a bunch of dummies.

Shows how little you know about Houston....

Maybe he has Houston confused with Edmonton. ;-) KM
--
(-:alohacyberian:-) At my website there are 3600 live cameras or
visit NASA, the Vatican, the Smithsonian, the Louvre, CIA, FBI or