McDs gourmets comments

Old October 24th, 2014, 11:31 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Surreyman[_3_]

Default McDs gourmets comments

On Friday, October 24, 2014 3:06:36 AM UTC+1, poldy wrote:
On 10/23/14 5:26 AM, Martin wrote:
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...s-9812768.html

Also suspect if oenophiles did blind tastings of expensive wines along
with some mass market wines, they may not always reliably pick out the
cheap stuff.

That has often happened.
I long ago just decided to enjoy what I enjoy - saved me a fortune on wines, especially!
Although I must admit that the best wine I ever had was a very aged Champagne that apparently cost over £100 (provided by a friend!) - and I normally don't even like Champagne.
Old October 24th, 2014, 07:50 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Surreyman wrote:
On Friday, October 24, 2014 3:06:36 AM UTC+1, poldy wrote:
On 10/23/14 5:26 AM, Martin wrote:
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...s-9812768.html

Also suspect if oenophiles did blind tastings of expensive wines along
with some mass market wines, they may not always reliably pick out the
cheap stuff.

That has often happened.
I long ago just decided to enjoy what I enjoy - saved me a fortune on wines, especially!
Although I must admit that the best wine I ever had was a very aged Champagne that apparently cost over £100 (provided by a friend!) - and I normally don't even like Champagne.

At one time airlines in the U.S. were advertising "champagne flights",
on which they served free champagne with the (then) free meals. If that
was your sole contact with champagne, it left you wondering what all the
fuss was about!
Old October 25th, 2014, 01:02 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jack Campin

I must admit that the best wine I ever had was a very aged
Champagne that apparently cost over £100 (provided by a friend!) -
and I normally don't even like Champagne.

The best I can recall was in the early 1990s in north-east Turkey.
We had a picnic on the riverbank at Tekkale (near Artvin) where
two furious torrents meet. The Soviet Union's closing down sale
meant that busloads of Georgians were coming over the border to
sell stuff and prostitute themselves. At the Georgian market in
Yusufeli, we got a bottle of wonderful Azerbaijani pink champagne
for about 2 quid and a jar of caviar to go with it for 50p, together
with a fresh loaf of local bread. Yum.

On checking out the prices you'd pay in the UK for similar caviar
when we got back home, it seemed we'd eaten 200 pounds' worth for
lunch.

Old October 25th, 2014, 07:21 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
mikeos

On 24/10/2014 19:50, EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

At one time airlines in the U.S. were advertising "champagne flights",
on which they served free champagne with the (then) free meals. If that
was your sole contact with champagne, it left you wondering what all the
fuss was about!

I always prefer champagnne when the gas has dispersed. I prefer wines
without fizz, seems to have more flavour.

Old October 25th, 2014, 12:26 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
bill

On Sat, 25 Oct 2014 07:21:17 +0100, mikeos wrote:

On 24/10/2014 19:50, EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

At one time airlines in the U.S. were advertising "champagne flights",
on which they served free champagne with the (then) free meals. If that
was your sole contact with champagne, it left you wondering what all the
fuss was about!

I always prefer champagnne when the gas has dispersed.

How do you manage to keep it that long?

Champagne is supposed to keep its fizz for some 36 hours after
opening...
Old October 25th, 2014, 01:07 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Surreyman[_3_]

On Saturday, October 25, 2014 1:02:50 AM UTC+1, Jack Campin wrote:
I must admit that the best wine I ever had was a very aged
Champagne that apparently cost over £100 (provided by a friend!) -
and I normally don't even like Champagne.

The best I can recall was in the early 1990s in north-east Turkey.
We had a picnic on the riverbank at Tekkale (near Artvin) where
two furious torrents meet. The Soviet Union's closing down sale
meant that busloads of Georgians were coming over the border to
sell stuff and prostitute themselves. At the Georgian market in
Yusufeli, we got a bottle of wonderful Azerbaijani pink champagne
for about 2 quid and a jar of caviar to go with it for 50p, together
with a fresh loaf of local bread. Yum.

On checking out the prices you'd pay in the UK for similar caviar
when we got back home, it seemed we'd eaten 200 pounds' worth for
lunch.

A party of us once bought (deliberately!) 4 coffees and two soft drinks from one of the St. Mark's Square cafes in Venice. That was also £200+! But we were expecting it - it was a long arranged special occasion.
Old October 25th, 2014, 01:09 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
bill

On Sat, 25 Oct 2014 05:07:09 -0700 (PDT), Surreyman
wrote:

[...]

£200 for six drinks seems a lot, even for St Mark's Square.
Old October 27th, 2014, 11:13 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Frank Hucklenbroich

Am Fri, 24 Oct 2014 11:50:39 -0700 schrieb EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque):

At one time airlines in the U.S. were advertising "champagne flights",
on which they served free champagne with the (then) free meals. If that
was your sole contact with champagne, it left you wondering what all the
fuss was about!

Had that on a domestic flight in Jamaica about 10 years ago. They also
called it "champagne flights", but you did have to ask the stewardess for
it. Then you would get half a plastic cup full of some kind of sparkling
wine ;-)

Of course it wasn't the real stuff.

Regards,

Frank
Old October 27th, 2014, 02:16 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Frank Hucklenbroich

Am Mon, 27 Oct 2014 11:20:42 +0100 schrieb Martin:

On Mon, 27 Oct 2014 11:13:34 +0100, Frank Hucklenbroich
wrote:

Am Fri, 24 Oct 2014 11:50:39 -0700 schrieb EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque):

At one time airlines in the U.S. were advertising "champagne flights",
on which they served free champagne with the (then) free meals. If that
was your sole contact with champagne, it left you wondering what all the
fuss was about!

Had that on a domestic flight in Jamaica about 10 years ago. They also
called it "champagne flights", but you did have to ask the stewardess for
it. Then you would get half a plastic cup full of some kind of sparkling
wine ;-)

Of course it wasn't the real stuff.

Air France Business Class serves the real stuff.

So did Air Madagascar when I flew with them in the 90ies (they are partner
of Air France). Even in economy. Was a B-747 hired by Air France, but with
a crew from Madagascar.

Regards,

Frank

Flying effects the sense of taste.

Old October 29th, 2014, 12:33 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
poldy

wrote:

Am Fri, 24 Oct 2014 11:50:39 -0700 schrieb EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque):

At one time airlines in the U.S. were advertising "champagne flights",
on which they served free champagne with the (then) free meals. If that
was your sole contact with champagne, it left you wondering what all the
fuss was about!

Had that on a domestic flight in Jamaica about 10 years ago. They also
called it "champagne flights", but you did have to ask the stewardess for
it. Then you would get half a plastic cup full of some kind of sparkling
wine ;-)

Of course it wasn't the real stuff.

Air France Business Class serves the real stuff.
Flying effects the sense of taste.

They used to serve champagne with this:

http://www.fauchon.com/en/cheddar-mini-crepes.html

Pretty expensive on a per kilo basis.

But last time, they served it with something else.