Paris airport

Old February 14th, 2004, 09:28 AM
skep

Default Paris airport

After my tour in UK, our plan is to take the eurostar to Paris
arriving at Gare du Nord station around 4pm. Hope to save some money
by taking the metro to the airport, store luggage there, go back to
the city to do some sightseeing, return to the airport around 10pm,
spend the night at the airport until the next morning, go for
breakfast, then early check-in for the 12 hour international flight
home at 11am. Has never spent a whole night at an airport. Is it going
to be tough?

Prior to UK tour, we had already stayed in Paris for 3N so our
thinking is: why check into a Paris hotel for one night just for a
soft bed to sleep on but having to pay another US$80.

Is there any storage facility at the CDG airport and what is the rate
like? Are there comfortable seats at the airport for people to take
catnaps?
Old February 14th, 2004, 09:51 AM
freeda

[...]
breakfast, then early check-in for the 12 hour international flight
home at 11am. Has never spent a whole night at an airport. Is it going
to be tough?

Some airports are better than others. check out
http://www.sleepinginairports.com for more info.

[...]

Old February 14th, 2004, 11:08 AM
Miguel Cruz

skep wrote:
After my tour in UK, our plan is to take the eurostar to Paris
arriving at Gare du Nord station around 4pm. Hope to save some money
by taking the metro to the airport, store luggage there, go back to
the city to do some sightseeing, return to the airport around 10pm,
spend the night at the airport until the next morning, go for
breakfast, then early check-in for the 12 hour international flight
home at 11am. Has never spent a whole night at an airport. Is it going
to be tough?

Your enemies are noise and cold. Cold is solved by staking a claim early
enough that you're not near a door. Noise is solved by earplugs, and while
those are dangerous if you've got a quiet alarm clock and an early flight,
your flight is late enough that it won't matter. By 6am there will be so
much traffic that you can't really sleep anymore anyway, and that leaves you
4 hours before you have to worry about the flight.

Other than all that, it's fine. An awful lot of people do it. The good seats
(comfy and without armrests breaking them up, so you can lie down) go early
at most airports. If you don't get one of those, it's either a carpeted spot
on the floor, or stretching out in a chair.

miguel
--
Hundreds of travel photos from around the world: http://travel.u.nu/

Old February 14th, 2004, 11:46 PM
Mark Fagan

There may not be any luggage checkrooms or lockers anymore, under the
present security conditions. You could check with the Paris airport
website, www.adep.fr. CDG is in Roissy. There are a number of reasonably
priced hotel chains near the airport. I've had very good experiences with
the Climat brand, but I don't think they have one near CDG. However, their
parent company, Groupe Envergure does, so try
http://www.envergure.fr/climatdefrancefr.html if you're interested.

om...

Old February 15th, 2004, 01:47 AM
GG

"skep" wrote in message
om...
After my tour in UK, our plan is to take the eurostar to Paris
arriving at Gare du Nord station around 4pm. Hope to save some money
by taking the metro to the airport, store luggage there, go back to
the city to do some sightseeing, return to the airport around 10pm,
spend the night at the airport until the next morning, go for
breakfast, then early check-in for the 12 hour international flight
home at 11am. Has never spent a whole night at an airport. Is it going
to be tough?

Prior to UK tour, we had already stayed in Paris for 3N so our
thinking is: why check into a Paris hotel for one night just for a
soft bed to sleep on but having to pay another US$80.

Is there any storage facility at the CDG airport and what is the rate
like? Are there comfortable seats at the airport for people to take
catnaps?

If there's either a left luggage facility or storage lockers at the Gare du
Nord, leave your bags there, do your sightseeing, then go out to the
airport.
I've never seen anywhere at CDG airport, Terminal 1, where one could
possibly sleep comfortably before checking in and going to the departure
gate area. For that matter, the seating in the gate area wasn't especially
inviting either. Good luck.

GG

Old February 15th, 2004, 07:57 AM
freeda

After my tour in UK, our plan is to take the eurostar to Paris
arriving at Gare du Nord station around 4pm. Hope to save some money
by taking the metro to the airport, store luggage there, go back to
the city to do some sightseeing, return to the airport around 10pm,
spend the night at the airport until the next morning, go for
breakfast, then early check-in for the 12 hour international flight
home at 11am. Has never spent a whole night at an airport. Is it going
to be tough?

Prior to UK tour, we had already stayed in Paris for 3N so our
thinking is: why check into a Paris hotel for one night just for a
soft bed to sleep on but having to pay another US$80.

Is there any storage facility at the CDG airport and what is the rate
like? Are there comfortable seats at the airport for people to take
catnaps?

Let me add to my previous post.
Bring Eyeshades and ear plugs, airports are always very bright and the floor
polishers allways polish at 3am. Security wise, use your carry-on as a
pillow and try to improvise a way so that all other luggage is tied to a
limb so you will be alerted by any 'tea leaves'.
At CDG, you will be lucky to find benches without armrests, so go for a
carpeted area away from any doors, I used to find under escalators a good
place to kip.
You may also be better off with a sleeping bag as CDG can get mighty cold at
any time of the year.
Things may be be different now, I used to sleep all the time (about 10 years
ago) (apart from Dublin last year when I tried to find a hotel during the
'All Ireland Gaelic football') at airports to save a few quid while
travelling, and never had any trouble. As I said previously, check out '
http://www.sleepinginairports.com '.

Old February 15th, 2004, 03:19 PM
Tony Day

"GG" wrote in message

"skep" wrote in message
om...
[...]

There is left luggage at Nord.

Tony

Old February 15th, 2004, 03:38 PM
David Horne

skep wrote:

After my tour in UK, our plan is to take the eurostar to Paris
arriving at Gare du Nord station around 4pm. Hope to save some money
by taking the metro to the airport, store luggage there, go back to
the city to do some sightseeing, return to the airport around 10pm,
spend the night at the airport until the next morning, go for
breakfast, then early check-in for the 12 hour international flight
home at 11am. Has never spent a whole night at an airport. Is it going
to be tough?

Prior to UK tour, we had already stayed in Paris for 3N so our
thinking is: why check into a Paris hotel for one night just for a
soft bed to sleep on but having to pay another US$80.

Well, it's totally up to you, but I think that foregoing a hotel for a
night at the airport in _these_ circumstances is probably a false
economy. You could stay in an Etap hotel for example (there's one a few
stops from Gare du Nord) for around 50 euros- less perhaps if there's a
special deal. For me, the idea of 'sleeping' at the airport would only
seem reasonable if the flight was very early, or I was getting into town
extremely late, or a combination of the two- perhaps also if there are
transport issues getting to the airport. If, say, the idea was to go out
clubbing until all hours, then similarly, a hotel might not seem like a
reasonable option. None of that seems to apply in this case. In any
event, storing your luggage at Gare du Nord would make more sense that
going to the airport, then back to the centre of Paris. I've got a
feeling you'll find a night at the airport rather tedious, and it will
seem like a very long time until check-in. It's not an ideal way to
finish off your holiday, if that's the case, but YMMV. Anyway, you seem
to have gotten plenty of useful answers should you choose an overnight
at the airport.

David

--
David Horne- (website under reconstruction)
davidhorne (at) davidhorne (dot) co (dot) uk