what is there to buy in china/beijing shangai

Old December 22nd, 2004, 11:31 AM
DC.

snip
Here in Toronto you can also get Guyanese style Chinese food, Indian
style Chinese food and Korean style Chinese food. ;-)

I've never seen anyone offering German style Chinese food, probably
because it is gawd-awful; it's certainly not for a lack of German
immigrants.

heehee... Toronto & Vancouver have some of the best Chinese food, maybe
that's why a german chinese mix isn't required unless you really want it.

DC.

Old December 22nd, 2004, 11:32 AM
Miguel Cruz

DC. not@home wrote:
Heeheee... simply a case of - if you can't see, don't eat or touch it. I
agree however, some hot cooked meals in front of you can give you a stomach
bug. I use to work in a Chinese takeaway/take-outs i believe you call them
in the States. The simplest of dishes like fried rice can be 'dodgy' as it's
always best cooked from leftover rice or day old rice as it should be. Have
a look at a stall to see how fast it's turning over, if it's fast, you're
more than likely OK with the food. If it's slow... dishes like fried rice
which uses leftovers can be disastrous! just a tip for fellow travellers &
eaters.

Yes, I think that one of the reasons street food has the potential to be so
much safer is that it gives you the power to make informed decisions like
that.

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos from 32 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu
Old December 22nd, 2004, 01:02 PM

Spain is one country I thought on a par with China in culinary
adventure. I was surprised even barnacles end up on the dining table
while in Spain.This I have yet to find a Chinese equivalent. Although
there probably are many more Chinese food oddities not found in Spain
either.

Old December 22nd, 2004, 02:22 PM

There are Chinese communities in Guyana, Suriname, Southeast Asia, and
some Indian cities, and they absorbed influences from the surrounding
cuisines. Amsterdam is full of Surinamese-Chinese and
Indonesian-Chinese restaurants.

I've seen a lot of French-Vietnamese fusion, but that works because the
Vietnamese tastes and ingredients are more subtle (lemongrass, ginger,
etc.) and fit into modern French recipies without overwhelming them.
You rarely see Chinese fusion with anything, although Macao does have
some interesting Portuguese-Chinese restaurants.

German food...well, the most that can be said for it is that they have
good desserts and sausages and that it's not as bad as British or Dutch
food!

Old December 22nd, 2004, 02:59 PM
DC.

Goose barnacles might be comparable to abalone or something like that... i
guess?

They also have a drink called Horchata which is made from grinding tigernuts
then adding sweeterners like sugar or syrup... & guess what, it's white in
colour & quite similar to soya milk! they also grow rice there(Paella rice),
they love fish & seafood there & will eat fish with heads & tails still
attached & not filleted like some people do. The pig/pork is the choice meat
for most people there & in London, we get the best & biggest Napa
cabbage/Chinese leaves from Valencia in Spain. Hmm... maybe i should move
there soon! Heeheee.

DC.

oups.com...

Old December 22nd, 2004, 03:08 PM
DC.

Hey oneofcold,

You seem to know your food stuff, care to hook up & discuss some? we over in
alt.food.asian & uk.food+drink.chinese discuss some topics in detail. One of
my main focus now is Eurasian foods & have made contact with a Macau
Eurasian family. Nice recipes if a little on the heavy side, Feng &
Diablo(Devil) curry. In anticipation of that next week with Xmas leftovers
as the turkey & ham gets prime stewing spot in this devilish curry of
Portuguese & SE Asian/Indian extraction. Maybe see you there for some
serious food inspired chinwag.

DC.

ps. i read that Germany had parts of Papua New Guinea as one of their
colonies a couple hundred years ago, maybe some interesting food fusions
there huh?

oups.com...

Old December 22nd, 2004, 03:44 PM
Markku Grönroos

"Miguel Cruz" kirjoitti viestissä

I fully agree with all of this, and my experience has been identical.

Street food = never ever sick

Restaurant food = sometimes sick

Midrange hotel restaurant food = always sick

Perhaps this is something psychosomatic. I am convinced that the frequency
among diners at restaurants to get some food related illness is no more
higher than among those folks who eat at foodstalls. Moreover, I don't
believe a layman can usually say with any certainty what is the underlying
reason for the symtoms. Even more difficult it is to know that badly
prepared/stored food is the reason and the time and location where this took
place. I mean typically after rigorous testing at a laboratory physicians
cannot deliver these pieces of information in their diagnoses.

Old December 22nd, 2004, 03:52 PM
Miguel Cruz

I've seen a lot of French-Vietnamese fusion, but that works because the
Vietnamese tastes and ingredients are more subtle (lemongrass, ginger,
etc.) and fit into modern French recipies without overwhelming them.
You rarely see Chinese fusion with anything, although Macao does have
some interesting Portuguese-Chinese restaurants.

You'll find a bunch of Chinese-Cuban restaurants in New York City.

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos from 32 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu
Old December 22nd, 2004, 03:58 PM
Miguel Cruz

Markku Grönroos wrote:
"Miguel Cruz" kirjotti:
I fully agree with all of this, and my experience has been identical.

Street food = never ever sick

Restaurant food = sometimes sick

Midrange hotel restaurant food = always sick

Perhaps this is something psychosomatic.

Possibly, but the only time I ever eat in hotel restaurants is when I have
to for work (lunch meetings and so on), and whenever I've gotten sick, so
have most of the other people. Perhaps my comments at these meetings are so
offensive that everyone gets sick, and the food has nothing to do with it.

I am convinced that the frequency among diners at restaurants to get some
food related illness is no more higher than among those folks who eat at
foodstalls.

And I am convinced the opposite. I have no scientific data to support it,
but I do live in the developing world, travel to poor countries constantly,
and eat in a lot of places with a lot of different people. I am a keen
amateur observer of this issue because of my self-interest in remaining
healthy.

My observations could all be coincidence, but so far it's keeping my
stomach happy so I'm going with it.

Moreover, I don't believe a layman can usually say with any certainty what
is the underlying reason for the symtoms. Even more difficult it is to
know that badly prepared/stored food is the reason and the time and
location where this took place. I mean typically after rigorous testing at
a laboratory physicians cannot deliver these pieces of information in
their diagnoses.

Sure, but after enough incidents, a pattern starts to emerge. That's how the
brain works - it finds patterns and turns them into understanding.

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos from 32 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu
Old December 22nd, 2004, 03:58 PM
Pan

On Tue, 21 Dec 2004 17:02:50 -0000, "DC." not@home wrote:

Was it really that bad? did you eat in the street side food stalls? i'm
interested in Chinese food as well but i've not heard anyone suffer as bad
as you except those that went outside the cities & travelled in the country.
There i can understand if you caught a stomach bug & had diarrhoea. Just
curious... what did you think of Beijing & Shanghainese food compared to the
ones you get outside China like in the States &/or the UK, typically
Cantonese style foods.

Totally different, and I ate really well in Beijing and Shanghai.
There are some decent Shanghainese restaurants in New York, but their
food is far inferior to standard Shanghai fare, let alone a fabulous
restaurant like Old Shanghai Moon at the Pujiang Hotel. In Beijing, I
recommend the Li Family Restaurant on a hutong (alley). I had what may
have been the best meal of my life there. But definitely, patronize
cheap dumpling houses and such in both cities as well.

Do be prepared to get diarrhea during part of your trip. My family and
I (4 people) all got it at some point on a 2-week trip to Beijing,
Changchun, and Shanghai last summer. Avoid all fruits and vegetables
that can't be peeled, unless they're cooked or pickled (I may be
wrong, but I thought pickled would be OK and enjoyed pickles very much
while I was in China).

Also, be prepared to get a respiratory infection and bring along a
good remedy, such as a thing that squirts salt water into your nose.
And never drink unboiled tap water or use it for anything except for
bathing and washing clothes.

Michael

If you would like to send a private email to me, please take out the TRASH, so to speak. Please do not email me something which you also posted.