Avoid Delta and Atlanta

Old August 4th, 2006, 10:39 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Keith W[_1_]

Default Draconian vacation policies for US slave workers

"Tchiowa" wrote in message
ups.com...

You go where you're told to doctors with controlled rates and use drugs
with controlled prices.

Well no unless you count FREE as a controlled rate.

As I pointed out to TR, they are not "free". Someone is paying for
them. And the charges for drugs and treatments are all set by the NHS.

No they arent.

The NHS has to purchase the drugs from the companies that
make them, the cost of the treatment is calculated on the
basis of the employee cost plus overhead.

These costs come out of the NHS group budget. Their
is no mark up on those costs levied by the hospital
and as a large customer the NHS can reach very good
volume purchase deals.

They will pay the doctor for you at a rate that they have set. That's
controlled rates. Controlled wages and prices.

Nope , Medical practises are paid fees based on a complex formula
that reimburses them based on the number of patients treated,
the nature of that treatment etc. Individual doctors are either
employees of or partners in that practise

Within hospitals doctors are employees of the health care trust
but senior consultants also work a protion of their time in
private practise

The US tried that under
Nixon. The runaway inflation under Carter was in part caused by Nixon's
dumb attempt to control prices and wages.

Irrelevant

Under the UK NHS you register with a doctor , there are no fees for
consultations or treatment and drugs are subject to a fixed prescription
charge no matter how expensive they are. You can choose to pay a one
off fee of £6.65 or a prepaid prescrption certificate which is much
cheaper.

Which is exactly what I do with my carrier.

The unemployed , retired, children, pregnant woman and low paid groups
are exempt from these prescription charges.

If you are travelling within the country and need to see another doctor
you just go into any local doctors office, fill in a short form and
see him, again no fee is charged.

And if you are travelling outside the country?

My insurance covers me around the world.

There are reciprocal agreements that cover me in most of Europe
as well as other countries such as Canada and Australia.
temporary travel/health insurance for travel elsewhere is cheap

You are quite at liberty to go to a fee charging private doctor and he
can prescribe drugs which are then bought at full price but for obvious
reasons few people do this.

Primary health care (access to your local GP) is actually very good
under the NHS and even those people who have private health
insurance , like myself, still use the NHS doctors at local level.

The only time I would resort to my private health cover is when
hospital admission is required and even there the surgeon
who operates on me will likely be the same one who works
in the local NHS hospital. Mostly what I get for my money
is improved hotel services in hospital, a private room instead
of a public ward etc.

As a result private health cover in the UK is essentially a topup
to the public service and is MUCH cheaper than in the USA
as I know having lived in Ohio for 3 years.

Interesting descriptions. What I'd want to point out the most is that
you have the option of private health care. But only because you can
afford to pay for health care twice: once in your taxes and again with
your private insurer.
Most people can't.

Actually they can, my private cover costs less than $300 per annum

So what NHS has created is a
2-tier health care system. One for the rich or fairly well to do and a
lower level of service for most.

Which is exactly the same as that in the US were the poor
and elderly rely on Medicare, Medicaid and charity wards
at public hospitals

Thie difference in the UK is that Everbody has access to any care they
require
regardless of age, pre-existing conditions or financial status and without
having to worry about the hospital accounts dept coming after them for
unpaid medical bills.

Those with no insurance have full access to the same primary health care
through the local doctors office as the rich.

In the US those without insurance can only get this by presenting
themselves at the emergency room and if they have any assets
the hospital bursars dept WILL pursue them for payment.

I recall well the terms of my company provided health insurance in the USA.

It didnt include cover for pre-existing conditions so any recurrence of the
knee problems cause in a 1969 motorcycle accident was NOT covered.

There was a lifetime cap on total costs of treatment which could be
exceeded in case of serious illness. I had a colleague who had
to declare bankruptcy after his wife got cancer and died after
several years of treatment. Her last years treatment were not covered
by the health insurance they had so he was left a widower in his
mid 50's with two teenage kids and no savings or assets except
his pension fund.

There were lots of deductibles that didnt seem to be covered and
always left you out of pocket.

No for all its faults I wouldnt support the dismantling of the NHS

Keith

Old August 4th, 2006, 10:43 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
The Reid[_1_]

Following up to The Reid

reserve

"be reverse engineered"
--
Mike Reid
Walk-eat-photos UK "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email us@ this site
Old August 4th, 2006, 10:56 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Dave Frightens Me

On 3 Aug 2006 17:42:26 -0700, "Tchiowa" wrote:

Jim Ley wrote:

I'm a homeless person who's regularly unemployed, but the jobs I do
and the people I do them with are far from dead end.

???????

He's crashing on someones couch at the moment, IIRC. Something I have
spent a fair bit of my life doing.

If I were him, I'd **** off for a few months holiday somewhere where
it's dirt cheap to live.
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
Old August 4th, 2006, 11:22 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Jim Ley

Jim Ley wrote:

I'm a homeless person who's regularly unemployed, but the jobs I do
and the people I do them with are far from dead end.

???????

He's crashing on someones couch at the moment, IIRC. Something I have
spent a fair bit of my life doing.

If I were him, I'd **** off for a few months holiday somewhere where
it's dirt cheap to live.

but then I couldn't work... I spend most of my time in meetings at
the minute... at least that means I get my hotels paid for.

Jim.
Old August 4th, 2006, 12:09 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
The Reid[_1_]

Following up to Jim Ley

I spend most of my time in meetings at
the minute... at least that means I get my hotels paid for.

your job is meeting people in hotels?
Old August 4th, 2006, 12:56 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Jim Ley

On Fri, 04 Aug 2006 12:09:42 +0100, The Reid
wrote:

Following up to Jim Ley

I spend most of my time in meetings at
the minute... at least that means I get my hotels paid for.

your job is meeting people in hotels?

Sometimes it seems like that...

It's certainly the only part that needs me to be in any particular
place.

Jim.
Old August 4th, 2006, 08:17 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Mxsmanic

The Reid writes:

Professional qualifications are representative of proof of having
the skills to do the job, numbnuts.

Not necessarily. Often they are just artificial restrictions on the
labor pool.

Old August 4th, 2006, 09:52 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Dave Frightens Me

wrote:

The Reid writes:

Professional qualifications are representative of proof of having
the skills to do the job, numbnuts.

Not necessarily. Often they are just artificial restrictions on the
labor pool.

As people will strive to do a reasonable job to maintain this status,
it's actually of quite some value.

(Maybe not in France, or your hemispere of experience)
--
---