Driving cross country with expired tags - how to avoid police?

Old July 20th, 2006, 04:20 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,misc.transport.road
Hatunen

Default Driving cross country with expired tags - how to avoid police?

On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 03:17:33 GMT, "Alohacyberian"
wrote:

"Paul S. Wolf" wrote in message
m...

You should be paying for Comprehensive insurance, covering damage to YOUR
car. But you shouldn't be paying for Liability insurance, which covers
you for damage you do to OTHER cars or people.

Most states won't let you get comprehensive without liability. Even if you
aren't driving it, some yo-yo can ride his skateboard into your car and
claim the mirror injured him. ;-) KM

In most states I am aware of insurance companies have a special
rate for cars being stored.

Old July 20th, 2006, 04:46 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,misc.transport.road
Carole Allen[_1_]

On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 06:41:43 GMT, Doug Smith W9WI
wrote:
Around here, (Tennessee) when you first get your plate they put a
sticker on it, showing what month it expires - it might say "JUL" in
large letters. You get another sticker that might say "2006", showing
that it expires at the end of July, 2006. When you renew, you get a
sticker that says "2007", you stick it over the top of "2006" to show
the plate is valid for another year. The procedure is identical in
Wisconsin.

That's how it works in WA state...

Old July 20th, 2006, 05:27 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,misc.transport.road
Sapphyre

Alohacyberian wrote:
On long trips, I don't ever recall driving even close to the speed limit
unless there are law enforcement officers in the vicinity. I've probably
driven that I-5 between Ashland and Medford a hundred times or more and have
never been pulled, though I was ticketed just north of Eugene. I mighta
just been lucky, but, I do keep a close watch. I have notice though, that
Oregon, like many other states does not tolerate driving in the passing
lane(s) unless you are actually overtaking and passing another vehicle. KM

I can understand wanting to get somewhere fast if you have a lot of
miles to cover... I did 4200 miles over a 19 day period of time, and it
was for fun. So I got to whereever I got to, and I didn't want to miss
stuff that might be interesting. So about 80% of my trip was off the
Interstate. I did the Interstate from Salt Lake to Idaho Falls, Bozeman
to Missoula, Pasco to Mount Hood, Medford to Weed, Williams to Fernley,
and Provo to Salt Lake City. Every other part of the trip was on a
secondary highway, and sometimes around in circles... I wasted so many
miles on side trips that were not part of the rough draft itinerary I
produced.

But I did almost get a ticket in Ely, NV. I say almost, because had I
not been following the camper doing 50 mph leaving town, I might have
assumed the limit had become 70 again and sped up at least to 60, until
I was sure. That trooper was sitting at the mileage sign just waiting
for people leaving town bright and early in the morning. The camper
saved my butt, so I couldn't have gotten a ticket, I wasn't speeding.

I must say, my favourite driving states are Nevada, Utah, Idaho and
Montana... Interstate highways are 70-75, which I find perfectly
reasonable. I wasn't too happy driving in Oregon, not my favourite
place. But that highway through Bend wasn't too bad for a secondary
road.

Old July 20th, 2006, 07:20 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,misc.transport.road
Steve Sobol

Doug wrote:
wrote:
The company is justified in denying
coverage because driving without legal plates is a violation of the
statute, and thus voids any policy they have issued.

ONLY true if policy states that driving without legal plates is
EXCLUDED. My policy says no such thing, so I would be covered. You have
to READ your policy and see. There's no such blanket exclusion....

I'm a little surprised this discussion is even happening. Driving on an
expired sticker/plate is illegal, even if your insurance company doesn't
care. Why tempt fate? (Sorry, I didn't catch the beginning of this thread.)

Besides, in this post 9/11 world, it's not a good idea to be driving around
in the US with a car that gives cops a valid reason to pull you over. A lot
of overzealous law enforcement agencies are already going overboard as a
result of the WTC attacks and may try to cook up a reason to nail people
anyhow. Why give them a perfectly legitimate reason?

And at best, if you get pulled over, you'll still get a ticket. And even if
you don't have to pay the fine if you register within X days -- and I know
many jurisdictions do have that rule -- you end up having to go to court to
prove you finally did register your car. Not worth the time or hassle IMHO.

--
Steve Sobol, Professional Geek ** Java/VB/VC/PHP/Perl ** Linux/*BSD/Windows
Apple Valley, California PGP:0xE3AE35ED

It's all fun and games until someone starts a bonfire in the living room.
Old July 20th, 2006, 08:21 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,misc.transport.road
rickmastfan67

wrote:
H.B. Elkins wrote:

Try driving through Summersville, WV with out-of-state tags. A front
plate is a dead giveaway there.

I did. They never bothered me...

Yeah, but how fast did you drive? ;-)

Fast enough to where they would have pulled me over if their reputation
as portrayed by our West Virginia members is true...

Froggie | Picayune, MS |
http://www.ajfroggie.com/roads/

Must have been one of the days they took off. lol. One trip at around
7-8PM @ night, I saw at least 6 cars/trucks pulled over in the span of
about 1.5 miles.

Old July 20th, 2006, 01:48 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,misc.transport.road
Dave Smith

Alohacyberian wrote:

An officer doesn't have to get very close to be able to read both
stickers, and if he does he knows the plate is (or isn't) expired. He
doesn't have to run it through the computer to know.

Yes, he does. Just because you didn't put the sticker on the plate, doesn't
mean you don't have it. I neglected to put my sticker on this year and
drove around for months with the sticker in the glove compartment. And in
many states, stickers are stolen regularly. KM

I used to work with a guy who was pretty good at spotting expired plates. He was
working with me one day and he spotted an expired sticker on a truck coming in
the opposite direction from so far away that he had the chance to get on the
radio and call it in before it even got as far as us.

Old July 20th, 2006, 02:02 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,misc.transport.road
sechumlib

On 2006-07-19 07:49:49 -0400, " said:

I gather you see no difference between slightly exceeding the speed
limit and driving without a valid registration or insurance. Both the
same scope of offense, right?

I assume you are joking. I've never heard of a person getting into a
car wreck because of expired tags, registration, or insurance. KM

You always have to throw in kickers that weren't in the original
scenario, don't you, ole boy?

Old July 20th, 2006, 02:40 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada,misc.transport.road
Doug Smith W9WI

Alohacyberian wrote:
"Doug Smith W9WI" wrote in message

[...]

Is it not technically illegal to not have your sticker on your plate?

I mean, I doubt you'd get ticketed if you could show the officer you'd
forgotten your sticker in the glove compartment, but you'd have provided
probable cause for the stop.

--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View (Nashville), TN EM66