How to divide 15 days among Bangkok, Hanoi, HK, Beijing?

Old August 18th, 2006, 05:04 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
[email protected]

Default How to divide 15 days among Bangkok, Hanoi, HK, Beijing?

Kirans Cousin wrote:
I am extremely inexperienced in Asia outside India and would appreciate
all advice.

1. How would you divide 15 days among the following cities (including
side trips):

Bangkok (incl Angkor)
Hanoi *OR* Ho Chi Minh (which one do you recommend?)
Hong Kong (incl Macau)
Beijing (incl Great Wall)

"Zero days" is also acceptable as an answer if you feel it is better to
spend more days in fewer cities.

Bangkok/Angkor 4
Hanoi 3
Hong Kong/Macau 4
Beijing 4

You will need to carefully schedule your flights to pull this off. I
think you can fly Angkor (the airport is called Siem Reap) - Hanoi now,
but they didn't have that route when I went in 2001.

2. How much would a clean/safe but unfancy budget room cost per night
in each of these cities?

Hong Kong - $35, try the "Wang Fat Hostel"

Macau - $40, since most of their visitors are Hong Kong residents on
weekend gambling trips, the hotels are deeply discounted the rest of
the time, and you can get a four-star hotel room for just $40 on
sunday-thursday night from one of the travel agencies in the Macau
ferry terminal.

Bangkok - $20-30. I found a decent room for less than $10 on the Khao
San Road (where there are also a lot of hotels that are real dumps) but
there are lots of rooms in the $20-30 range throughout the city.

Angkor - we paid $20 per night for a clean triple room.

Hanoi - $20-30.

Beijing - $30-40.

Old August 22nd, 2006, 08:35 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
Kirans Cousin

wrote:

: Bangkok/Angkor 4
: Hanoi 3
: Hong Kong/Macau 4
: Beijing 4
:
: You will need to carefully schedule your flights to pull this off...

Bangkok and Hong Kong are set. According to the rules, I can
accommodate only one more stop: Beijing, Bali, Jakarta, Hanoi? Which
one would you recommned?

(The restrictions is only two connections in any hub city. My ticket
allows "unlimited" stops, but Cathay connects only in HK, so I 'll have
to use another airline like Qantas which connects through Australia,
but I am not going to try that.)
Old August 22nd, 2006, 10:30 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
[email protected]

Kirans Cousin wrote:
wrote:

: Bangkok/Angkor 4
: Hanoi 3
: Hong Kong/Macau 4
: Beijing 4
:
: You will need to carefully schedule your flights to pull this off...

Bangkok and Hong Kong are set. According to the rules, I can
accommodate only one more stop: Beijing, Bali, Jakarta, Hanoi? Which
one would you recommned?

1. Beijing
2. Hanoi
3. Bali